Best hotel for a complete R&R vaca, with best beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to go to St. Thomas (or St. Croix or St. John) for 5 nights end of this month -
my purpose is for complete R&R - I am newly single, 36 yrs old and am just looking to get away by myself (something I have wanted to do for a very long time)
basically looking for the best caribbean beach, no rocks, just soft sand and the clearest waters...
a nice hotel (I am somewhat of a resort snob ...so, no cheapy hotels) - but decent is okay, 3 stars even is okay, preferably 4 stars- I just want nice, pretty, clean, decent restaurants, and the perfect beach just steps away

beachfront is a definite, and no need to leave the resort property also.

thank you!
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 07:03 AM

Your giving us "mixed" signals when asking for "the best",and saying your a "resort snob" than telling us "a 3-star resort" is OK if it's "clean".

That said, for two of the "best" resorts in the USVI's that are on the "best" beaches check out the Ritz Carlton on St. Thomas or Caneel Bay on St. John.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 07:05 AM

OPPS! My post should begin "You're giving us..." not "Your giving us..."
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

ok sorry - I know that was worded wrong. I mean the Best Beach, and for the resort, yes, a very nice resort, but does not have to be the best.

thank you
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 11:32 AM

after the ritz and caneel you might look at secret harbour beach resort. all condo so huge rooms with kitchen (even if you just use it to chill water), living and sleeping areas. each has a patio or deck. restaurant - blue moon cafe - serves 3 meals daily & has fun but never rowdy beach bar. beach is wonderful with shade, sandy entrance with excellent snorkeling off to the right end of the beach and they rake/straighten up every night. small dive shop & gym. ok pool which is not by the beach like at ritz. i have been to sh on my own and felt totally safe and comfortable. request building 2,3 or 4.
http://www.secretharbourvi.com/
the small town of red hook is a 10 min taxi if you wanted to venture out one day to look around - maybe get a coffee mug to take home. also ferry to st. john (20 mins ride) is in red hook.
if price is no object most all votes will go to caneel. they have 7 beaches on their property.
let us know which you choose.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

thank you Virginia
after looking at the Secret Harbour, looks really nice, but I'd like more dining choices without having to go off property if I dont want to - I like the seclusion, but maybe its too secluded for me...
I dont know... decisions decisions -

will be deciding soon! have to, I plan on going in just a few weeks!
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 05:38 PM

look at the somerset on provo, turks & caicos. nice resort on grace bay beach in easy walk to several restaurants. beautiful beach. lots of other resorts if somerset doesn't suit you. plus Lots of dining options in 10 mins taxi up or down the beach.
and i'd like to say somewhere on seven mile beach grand cayman but others would have suggest which specific hotel is near a variety of restaurants. there is a nice ritz.

just so you know other than st. t ritz's restaurants you won't be able to walk to any options. same for caneel. and check to make sure all of each resorts options are open. it's low season so some may not be.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 05:24 AM

I think you should look at other islands. You seem to want a large resort directly on a beautiful beach, but you also seem to want to be staying steps from the sand. That's a description of an ultra-luxury resort, not a 3-star resort. Unless you are planning to spend a lot of money to stay at Caneel or the Ritz-Carlton, I don't think you'll find that in St. Thomas, St. Croix, or St. John.

As Virginia also suggests, I'd steer you toward Provo or Grand Cayman. Even then, you might have to go off-property for dining, but it's much easier to stay steps from a beautiful beach on those two islands. It's also possible in Barbados (the Almond Beach Club & Spa is a small upscale all-inclusive resort that has several restaurants and is steps from a pretty nice beach). Of course you could stay next door at Divi Heritage for a fraction of the price in a condo-style room, but you'd have to walk or taxi into Holetown for dining.

The fact that you're going
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 07:05 AM

I agree with Doug. You should look at other islands. If you want seclusion in a really nice place, with an absolutley awesome, breathtaking beach, I would recommend Anguilla. I would stay at the Cuisinart on Rendezvous Bay. That would be my top choice for both beach and hotel. The staff is wonderful there and will take great care of you. There is no better beach in the world for us than RB. If you are looking for something a little less expensive, try Anguilla Great HOuse also on the same beach. No need to leave the property at Cuisinart, but if you do want to there are several restaurants along the beach. One is called the Dune Preserve and I believe there is a restaurant at Anguilla great house as well. I encourage you to check this island out. It's not always easy to get to, but once you are there you really feel like you are away.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

thank you! I have decided on Aruba (no hurricanes) - and am going to stay at the Hyatt Regency
looks right up my alley
thanks for all your input
actually Caneel Bay was my first choice, but they are closed for Sept and Oct - and I didnt want to wait - I'll go there next time
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 05:15 AM

I think you'll like Aruba, though there is no guarantee your trip won't be upset by a hurricane. Aruba was affected by Hurricane Omar last year in October. But the chances aren't as great as on other islands. I do recommend you buy insurance that will help reimburse you if something goes wrong.

And I'd really urge you to get out and do a little exploring and to eat at restaurants outside of your hotel. There are some really good restaurants in Aruba. The nightlife is a little raucous and young, but it's a good island when you just want to relax and get away from things.