Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Ocean Club vs. Coral Gardens -- Need Advice ASAP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are trying plan a trip to T&C and have narrowed it down to Ocean Club or Coral Gardens. Any suggestions on which is better and why? Thanks!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Also, is one better as far as the construction going on? (We'd be travelling in March 2005)
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:40 AM

Have been to Provo 17 times and the last 11 stayed at Coral Gardens. Have also stayed at Ocean Club which is next to Club Med on the far east end of Grace Bay beach. All suites at Coral gardens have a beach/ocean view. Only two Beachfront buildings at OC. The rest set back on the property with limited view. If you are into snorkeling Coral Gardens is the place to be. Nice beach front restaurant/bar and the dinner restaurant Coyaba is one of the best on Provo. I would look at Ocean Club West rather than Ocean Club. Within walking distance of Ports of Call shopping plaza and about 5 relatively inexpensive restaurants, Can also walk to Anacona at Grace Bay Club which probably the most romantic restaurant on Provo (Expensive--Live music Wed Fri and Sat)
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

HowardC, thanks for the info. How close is Coral Gardens to other restaurants?
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:18 PM

Not close but most resorts on Provo aren't within walking distance of anything else. You really need a car. Ocean Club isn't really close to restaurants either except Provo Golf Club. Forgot to mention think they have started construction of Yuscany just east of Ocean Club. To my knowledge no construction around Coral Gardens
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:58 PM

Haven't been to Provo seventeen times but have been there enough to offer a different opinion. Many years ago the Property that is now Coral Gardens was lovely with great snorkeling out in front - walk in off the beach. The last trip there (3 years ago) we were surprised to see that some of the area was actually roped off. I guess the snorkelers were stepping on and killing the coral that was there. Even though the rooms as Coral Gardens are lovely, the property around the building wasn't that great. We prefer Ocean Club to Ocean Club West. Ocean Club West is busier than we like. Even though Ocean Club is next to Club Med, it is the last resort property on the beach. You can turn your back to the other resorts and feel like you experienced Provo before all the resorts arrived. Ocean Club has lovely grounds, a nice restaurant, two pools, outside barbecue and they have a shuttle that will take you over to Ocean Club West so you can still walk to Ports of Call. We had the driver stop in between the 2 Ocean Clubs so we could walk over to Coco Bistro for dinner. Howard is right about only 2 buildings being Ocean Front at Ocean Club. If you want to have walk in snorkeling and Ocean front you probably want Coral Gardens. For a really good snorkeling experience, I would go out to the reef on a chartered boat.It would be my third choice out of the three. Again, just a different opinion.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:06 AM

Ocean Club west is most centrally located, whereby you can walk across the street to Ports of Call. Coral Gardens is the place to stay if you want to walk out your door for snorkeling.

Both Ocean Club and Ocean Club West provide shuttle service to different restaurants. (the shuttle service between the 2 is free)
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:48 AM
cdt

I find it interesting that they are building something EAST of the original Ocean Club. There's not a lot of beach past there; it sort of peters out.

We stayed at OCW and loved it. There's construction on both sides now, but some recent visitors say it didn't bother them.

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:17 AM

The reason that part of the ref at Coral gardens has buoys around it is that there is fire coral there which can be nasty especially at low tide. The best snorkeling is outside the ropes anyway