Search

Nevis in Sept. - Are we crazy?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:25 AM
AKN
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nevis in Sept. - Are we crazy?

My fiancee and I are trying to plan our honeymoon and would love to go to Nevis. The problem? We're getting married Labor Day weekend and want to travel immediately following (Sept. 4-17th) I understand this is hurricane season in the Caribbean. We're active duty military, so we're kind of limited in terms of picking a different travel time. Are we crazy to go to Nevis during this time period? If so, is there anywhere else in the Caribbean (or anywhere similar for that matter) that you recommend? We're looking for the same type of vacation - beaches, sunshine, yet still plenty to do in terms of hiking, exploring and hanging out with the locals. Please help us!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:49 AM

There's more to do in St Kitts and take a day trip to Nevis. Hurricane season is a chance you take but your most likely NOT to see one than you are. No problem in the past 3 years, they went north and south of SK.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:11 AM

We've been to Nevis in September during the time frame you have indicated, and unfortunately, a hurricane DID come through while we were there.

Even though it never came close to the island, the weather and the surf were very bad for several days.

Of course, the Four Seasons was very badly damaged by a hurricane a few years back and had to be rebuilt to a large degree.

The first two weeks of Sept. are the APEX of hurricane season in the Caribbean, and after some VERY close calls for us traveling at that time, we no longer take the risk.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Sunnyboy

That's peak hurricane season throughout the Caribbean and Nevis is no exception. That said, if a storm is not brewing, the weather itself can be very nice. You'll find many of the resorts, restaurants and island attractions will be closed during September (this applies throughout the Caribbean) although the Four Seasons is generally open at that time of year. It's not the best time of year to travel but if you decide to go consider getting trip insurance that will cover your monetary loss if you have to cancel because of a storm. You can minimize your hurricane risk exposure if you visit Aruba, Bonaire or Curacao (but they are far different types of islands than Nevis).

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 09:46 AM

I have recently been giving this thought as well. I am beginning to think about planning a summer wedding and b/c the honeymoon is very important to us, we are worried about booking anything during September/October. What about St. Vincent & the Grenadines? Are they far enough south?
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:02 AM

No. Neither Grenada (which was obviously totally slammed last year during this time) nor any of the Grenadines are "safe" at this time.

Of course, the chance is slim, but in 10 years of traveling to the Caribbean over Labor Day weekend, we got slammed once on St Lucia (nearly had to evacuate) and had so many close calls and ruined days due to weather, we finally stopped going then.

One year when we were on Grenada, our home in NC was hit severely, and we came home to no power for days and a fridge/freezer full of ruined food.

No more Sept. Caribbean travel for me!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Sunnyboy

To Lmaev - St. Vincent & the Grenadines, while south, are not really "out of the hurricae belt". Consider that this past summer Grenada which is futher south than the Grenadines got hit pretty hard by a severe hurricane which totally devistated the island. The same stom had a lesser effect on some of the southernmost Grenadines. Will it happen again? Yes! Will it happen this year? That's anyone's guess! There's no way to accurately predict when a major storm will form in the Caribbean (at most you get 4 or 5 days warning) and which islands will be affected. Really, going anywhere in the Caribbean during September carries with it certain risks. As I said in my earlier post the ABC islands are the safest, but even there you are not 100% safe.

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the responses to my question!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:28 AM
AKN
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think we're going to switch gears.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 10:35 AM

AKN -

My husband & I had planned to go to Nevis for our honeymoon in October 1995, with plenty of warnings of hurricanes, and that year there were severe hurricanes in early September that crippled the island. Needless to say, we had enough time to plan another trip & were able to get fully reimbursed for all pre-paid expenses & our plane tickets.

I advise all of my friends & family against going to the Caribbean during Hurricane season - as I can vividly recall my disappointment when we were unable to go.

We went to the Canary islands off of Morocco and to Madrid and had a wonderful time, warm weather, and no hurricanes!

Hope this is helpful.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 04:01 AM

AKN-Have you checked out Hawaii?There is no threat of a hurricane there.I don't know where you are flying from..if in the West or Midwest the flights might not be too expensive..if so check out Kauai..it is absolutely GORGEOUS.2 years ago,before gas prices rose so high..my husband and I got tickets for $750 each roundtrip from Raleigh/Durham NC.It was a long flight, but well worth it!!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:36 PM

I don't think you can honestly say there is "no threat" of a hurricane hitting Hawaii. Remember hurricane Iniki which demolished the island of Kauai about 10 years ago or so? They are rare but they do hit the islands.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:52 PM

AKN - No you are not crazy, but anytime in hurricane season is tricky down there. I have been in several hurricanes myself - one being in San Juan, another in Nevis, Tortola and St Thomas... not fun, but it turned out OK. I did honeymoon in the Caribbean during hurricane season and would do it again.

That being said - Nevis is WONDERFUL! I have family that live there and go often - actually I go again in a couple of weeks. It is the PERFECT place for a honeymoon - I would go there over St Kitts any day and make take a day trip over there. Its peaceful and relaxing and romantic, the people are friendly and there are great restaurants and places to stay. Let me know if you want more info.

Congrats!