Notices

hurricanes

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hurricanes

My fiance and I are getting married in September and want to go the Carribean for our honeymoon. What is the best place to go that will not be afftected by hurricanes? Thanks so much.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

As you probably know, September is the peak of hurricane season. But hurricane prediction is far from an exact science. There are places where the odds of a storm striking are less than others -- islands south of 12 degrees latitude for example (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, and to a lesser extent, Grenada, Trinida/Tobago and Barbados). However, even if an island is not hit directly, the impact may nevertheless be felt -- anything from disrupted flights routing through a hurricane zone (e.g. Miami or San Juan) or dangerous surf conditions.

Even in higher risk areas, the odds of a storm affecting your location on the days you are there are quite slim. And you'd have several days' notice and often airline/hotel flexibility to make changes on the fly. Thus, if it were my honeymoon -- that once-in-a-lifetime event that I want to make really special -- I personally would not have my choice driven by the relatively modest risk of a hurricane, and think about where I REALLY want to spend my honeymoon. Then I'd buy trip interruption insurance and keep an eye on the Weather Channel.

September is off-season in the islands, and aside from the hurricane risk, there is much to recommend the Caribbean that time of year. The weather is generally quite good, the crowds are less, the mood is even more laid-back, and prices go down.

(Incidentally, I don't give this advice lightly or theoretically. I honeymooned in St. Maarten in August. I had one September trip cancelled by Hurricane Marilyn in 1995. And I rode out Hurricane Georges on Tortola in September 1998. Trip insurance covered some of my expenses, and our travel provider -- The Moorings -- took very good care of us.)
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Do you have any suggestions ? We don't want to do Jamica or Mexico. Thanks.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:34 AM

You'll need to tell us your requirements/wishes before we can give suggestions -- stuff like: budget, where you're traveling from, what you like to do, what you don't like to do, what kind of environment you'd like, etc.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
WannabeinaMontserrat

Generally speaking the ABC islands & Grenada are typically considered outside the hurricane zone. That being said, Grenada was hit just a few years ago. Plan your honeymoon based on where you most want to go. You can't spend your time/life worrying about things you have no control over, that's why they have trip insurance (if you are so inclined).

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:56 AM

I'm getting married in September too! Let the the honeymoon plans begin!

What about Aruba?
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:57 PM

From Barbados on south (Grenada, Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao), a major hurricane strike is about a 100-year event. From any of those islands, I'd suggest choosing on the basis of what the island has to offer for you. ABC are Dutch and arid; Grenada lush, unspoiled, green; Grenadines a number of tiny islands, some with private island resorts; Barbados with some of everything and a British flair.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 04:41 PM

I'd suggest Barbados as well if you want the least likely hit from a hurricane.

That said,though...no one really ever knows when and where one will hit so Callaloo's suggestion about trip interruption insurance ought to be heeded.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 11:03 PM

Just go to Mexico. Fact is ANYWHERE in the caribbean is at risk of a hurricane that time of year.

Better off going to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta or Acapulco all on Pacific Southwest coast guaranteed great weather and clear of any hurricanes.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 04:56 AM

acame, she did say she wasn't interested in Mexico or Jamaica.