Just back - Couples

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Jim

Just back - Couples

Just back from Couples Ocho Rios 3-17 thru 3-24, any questions?

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Bob

We are traveling to Couples, Ocho Rios this summer and booked a 1 bedroom, ocean view suite , any ideas what they look like? Do you have any info on flying from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios?
How was the experience all in all?
Thanks

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Jim

Bob,
I did not see the inside of the suites, we stayed in a deluxe oceanview room. It was a basic room, with a nice view and balcony. We booked that with the hope of upgrading to a suite, but I did not realize how few suites they have here and there was none available at check in. So if you want a suite, be glad you booked it.

As for air to Ocho Rios - two companies that do it are Tim Air and Merle Air.
I beleive you can arrange a flight for anytime but if it is just two of you it is rather expensive. Air Jamica Express has flights for about half the price of the other two, but they fly on scheduled flights only twice a day. By the time we landed and would have had to wait for the flight the bus would be there. The bus ride is not nearly as bad as some things I have read, but it does take about 2 hours which is long time to sit after traveling all day already.

Overall it was a good vacation, as long as you just want to relax. If you want to sightsee and explore, there are better choices. Everyone we met seemed to enjoy the resort as well.

P.S. Sorry about the fake e-mail adress but I only have it at work.

Any thing else - let me know thru this board.

Jim

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Michelle

We are going in August. We have stayed at Swept Away in Negril before. Have you ever been? If so, how do they compare? How were you treated by the staff? Is it a relaxing resort. Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Jim

This was our first time in Jamaica, and first time at an all-inclusive. The entertainment staff treated us well, always knew us by name. If you go with a laid-back state of mind you will be happy, if you want to be waited on hand and foot you will be disappointed.

Service in general was spotty, you can be laying by the pool one day and someone will be bringing you drinks, the next day no one is performing this service.

I usally like to tip well to get good service, but tipping is not allowed. So just relax and remember how nice it is not to reach for your wallet!

Jim

Old May 12th, 2002, 08:27 AM
jeff

is there any suba diving? and who do i need to contact before i get to couples?

Old May 12th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Kristy

We went there last fall and loved it. My two favorite employees were Charmaine, who tends bar, and D'Raye, of the activities staff. Is D'Raye still there? (He's the tall guy with long hair and glasses.)

Old May 13th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Jim

Jeff,
They do have scuba included, although I didn't try it (bad ears). They teach you in the pool early morning, and have excursions once or twice a day. I beleive you can get certified there also, but it costs extra. Check their web site for more info.

Kristy,
Sorry but I am terrible at remembering names, but they don't ring a bell.

Jim

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Amy

We are leaving for COR in about a month and we are trying to figure out how much spending money to take along for a 7 night trip. Any suggestions or any expenses we might not have thought of?

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Jim

Amy,
I beleive we took about $500, and spent maybe $300. As far as shopping we bought a few t-shirts for the kids and not much else. There are optional outings you can pay extra for (sunset cruises, parasailing etc.), but we only did the ones that were included. So if you want to do any of these or spend a lot shopping bring more $, otherwise $500-600 should be plenty.
Jim

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Adam

Has anyone been to all the couples sites? How do they all compare? Is one more for sports, the other for relaxing, etc? Do you feel they are a better deal than Sandals, superclubs, beaches? Thanks in advance.