Jakes, Air Jamaica, and Stuff!

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jakes, Air Jamaica, and Stuff!

Hello, new poster here.

I've recently booked an Air Jamaica vacation package flying into Mo Bay, and traveling down to Jakes.

Does anyone have any recent experience w/ AJ? I read that they were purchased recently and service has been iffy. I'm hoping things have straightened out. Any advice will be appreciated.

Transfers are included to Jakes, which surprised me due to the long distance involved. I was told by the agent at AJ that I was to simply go outside and look for the AJ desk and then, voila, we would be whisked to Jakes. Is it really quite that simple? I can't imagine that they have drivers just hanging around waiting to drive us 2.5 hours.

Lastly, I've heard good and bad about Jakes. We've decided to "take the plunge" and are going with no expectations other than knowing that we may be immersed in some fantastic local culture, mosquitoes, and a bartender named Douggie. LOL. Any advice? We are traveling from 7/1-7/5. ( I know, I know, bad time to go...but that extra day helps). Any thoughts appreciated!

Darlene
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Hi, Darlene. Are you from Antigua?

I've not stayed at Jake's, but our first vacation to Jamaica was in Treasure Beach last year, so I saw a good bit of the place. I absolutely LOVED the area and would go back in a heartbeat. We had lunch at Jake's and were pleased to sample some local fare--curried goat and some ackee. The food was pretty good, the prices were pretty good. We enjoyed a beer or two at the bar at Jake's, but we had trouble initiating any conversations with other guests at Jake's. Not so at the place next door called Jack Spratt's. We met several locals and enjoyed their company and went on a daytrip with Dennis and enjoyed the folks who shared the boat with us--two youg men there working for the Peace Corps and their parents.

The cottages at Jake's looked very cute and I would have been very happy to stay in one based on the exterior. The pool area was very sad, however, full of dirty looking water and broken tiles.

We enjoyed the company of the several dogs wandering the property.

The road to TB is pretty smooth but we were glad not to be driving. We had our driver stop at the large grocery store in MoBay to pick up some bottled water, tonic water, snacks, and Red Stripe to keep in our room (we stayed at Mar Blue in the new Verandah Suites).

Please let me know if I can answer anything else for you. Check out the many posts by Tivertonhouse & liza or a few by marionck about their experience in TB.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Hello, and thanks for your reply. No, I'm not from Antigua, but fell in love with English Harbour when we were there some years ago. Hence, my screen name.

I appreciate your advice greatly. I found this website yesterday and read everything I could find about Treasure Beach and Jakes. Too bad about the pool. I'll have to check on that by calling there directly. Not a good thing. We are both looking forward to the trip, however, any more negatives about Jakes in this regard, I may consider another hotel.

In the meantime, if anyone has any further insight into Air Jamaica's service and transfers, please advise.
I look forward to following this forum!

Darlene
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Do you know the website www.treasurebeach.net? It's a wodnerful resource that gives you a good feel for the area. If you're the type of guest who would choose Jake's in the first place rather than stay in a large resort area, you're probably fine in your selection. And if not, you should be able to change to other Island Outpost properties. Jake's is definitely the most casual of them, but it's also the most off the beaten path.

Where are you flying from?
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:06 PM

Our last experience with Air Jamaica was December 2005, flying between Philly and Jamaica. Service was wonderful, as it's always been when we've flown them. Don't know if things have changed since then and truly hope not. The difference between traveling first class with Air Jamaica and with US Airways is like day and night - US Airways first class has gotten so bad, you'd get better service on a bus.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

EJCrowe:

I have been to the treasurebeach website, a while ago, but actually forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder to check it out.
We booked Jakes exactly for the reasons you mentioned; it was off the beaten path, seemed like a really laid back place. However, my personal travel preferences do not include lodging that is run down or in disrepair; time away means a lot to me and I do want the money I spend and work hard for spent on nice accomodations. (Like anyone, I'm sure!) So, I'll be doing some more research on Jakes; the trip reports I've read about Jakes are kind of running about 60% in favor and 40% not. We are flying out of Fort Lauderdale.

KeyGal:

Good to hear that about Air Jamaica. I had read some horror stories as recently as Feb so I feel much better. I used to work for USAirways (when it was USAir) and I can't agree with you more on their recent service. As with almost all of the domestic airlines nowadays, management has beaten the staff into the ground and some of that is reflected in the service to the customers. Very scary. Do you live in the Keys?

Thanks everyone!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 12:11 PM

EnglishHarbour, I don't know what to say. I've been in your place before, mildly agonizing over a hotel selection where bad reviews have come to light post-selection. In my case we went anyway because no part of our package was refundable or changeable, and we ended up having a great time. We knew what we were up against when we arrived at the hotel and were surprised by how much we actually enjoyed after being prepared for disappointment.

Like I said, all of the cottages that I saw from the outside were very charming--cute as could be, actually--but I didn't see inside them. I'd advise maybe going back over all of the reviews and figuring out which ones were posted by folks who are like-minded with you.

If you really want to change your accommodation, might I suggest you take a look at Mar Blue? I think the website is www.marblue.com. It is about a 10 minute walk down the road/beach from Jake's and very quiet. There are only a few rooms, the place was brand new in January 2005 (we were among the first guests), the beds are large & comfortable, and there is optional airconditioning in the rooms. The chef, Axel, is truly fantastic! When we were there, the rates were a bit lower than Jake's, but I also think they were running an introductory special. It's really quiet there, so you would have to rely on Jake's and other neighborhood place if you wanted evening entertainment or company, but like I said, just a short walk away. We felt very comfortable walking by day and by evening when in Treasure Beach--just wish we would've had a flashlight at night to make us more visible.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 08:47 PM

We were in TB in early January and stayed just down the road at Sunst Resort. The rooms were great and the pool area clean. The sundeck was a great place to hang. Not a busy place but Jake's and Jack Spratts are just down the road. I agree with the post about Jakes pool area being run down and that Jack Spratts is a much more lively place to go at night.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Hi Englishharbour,

I have never been to Jakes before so cannot comment on that. I have however flown on Air Jamaica several times. Every flight on JM (I was corrected in a previous post as to the abbreviation for Air Jamaica) was fine, took off on time and arrived on time. I also have "heard" of problems but never experienced any. Flight crew is always friendly and you get a head start on Jamaican hospitality! All ny JM flights originated or ended in either a Florida airport or Atlanta. Where are you flying from? I have taken them to MoBay and Kingston both.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Just back from JA a few hours ago via AJ from Chicago. Flight down was fine and on time. Last night's flight was delayed a couple of hours however. Quite frankly I expected that and that's why we always come home on a Saturday rather than a Sunday night work/school night. No reason given for the delay but I suspect it had something to do with a less than half full flight from Kingston. At anyrate that's travel for you. Short of that our trip was great as usual and the weather was PERFECT in Runaway Bay. Good luck!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your comments!! I'm glad to hear that AJ seems to be running normally.

I think I'll be making a call to Jakes to find out the latest on the pool situation. Perhaps they will be upgrading it by the time of our trip. I'll let you all know.

Jack Sprats sounds like fun! I'm very excited about this trip, and I'm looking forward to doing some different things.

Anyone have any input into the air/hotel transfers I was wondering about?

Sam, we are flying in and out of Ft. Lauderdale.

I'll keep you all posted on my Jakes telephone call.

Darlene
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Darlene, my experience at MoBay airport is that there are always plenty of drivers ready and able to take you wherever you want to go. Couples Swept Away had arranged for a private car to take us to Negril last Christmas, but when we arrived at the airport there was no one at the Couples lounge and after waiting 20 minutes I just walked outside and saw someone whose face I liked. His name was Irons and he gave us a beautiful, safe drive to Negril.

If price isn't a big consideration, you may want to consider flying to Treasure Beach instead of driving. We always fly from Montego Bay to Negril because it's a 15-minute trip versus an hour or more. (The only reason we drove last Christmas was because our flight from the U.S. arrived after dark.) With Jake's on the south coast, your drive would have to take you all the way around the island, so it would be even more of a time saver to fly.

By the way, I think any Island Outpost resort is a good gamble.

(Oh - to answer your other question, I don't live in the Keys now, but I did for 3 years and constantly dream of moving back there. . . .)
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 12:02 AM

There's been a plan for an airport in Font Hill, outside Black River on Jamaica's South Coast and about 30 min.
from Treasure Beach for some time. Until it's built, however, the ONLY
way in is to drive/and the only
sensible way for first-timers and most visitors is to have a private PPV insured/certified driver waiting for
you at MoBay airport. St. Elizabeth is country/the frothing throng of hungry
taximen outside customs are city guys who've mostly never been over that way.
You want a local TB guy to drive you
-- a whole different breed of person in attitude, manners and nature from urban MoBay guys. It's a 2.5 hour drive.
Stop en route at the Coconut Jelly Man roadside in Haddo/Whithorn, the lots of little roadside stands, the Peter
Tosh Mausoleum/a simple little place in Belmont; Scott's Cove for a taste of fish and bammy -- and, since it's mango season, stands everywhere, with varieties like Julie, No. 11, Bombay
and others not available in US. The drive in will let you decompress as
long as somebody else does the driving.

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone. Our transfers from the airport to TB are included in our AJ package. I doublechecked with AJ and they assure me that we will have no problem with this. Tiverton House: I will definitely check back with AJ to see exactly who it is that they use.

Back to the Jakes pool matter: I spoke to Andrea, an employee of Jakes, directly. I told her that I had been reading some pretty negative reports on the pool area and the water in the pool in particular. Her reply: "I'm not sure how to explain this so it makes sense, but when the ocean is churing, the pool looks like the ocean, as it is a fresh water pool. Therefore, the pool water can look dark and dirty, even though it is not. When the ocean is calm, the pool water looks the same; nice and clean"

Sort of makes sense to me, but not completely. Any comments from TB people?
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 02:45 AM

The pool is not the focal point of Jakes but more a stage set/gathering area; there's an outside dining area, thatch huts and a bar, plus Adirondack-style chairs at the seawall -- it's a lounging area. The sea can be rough with an undertow in front. Take one of the mt.bikes at Jakes (get a helmet if they've got em) and head up to Billy's Bay and Fort Charles beaches and to Great Bay beach in other direction -- all on countrylanes. There's a good patch of sandy beach in front of Calabash House nextdoor to Jakes and one up at Jack Sprat/good for pizza, ice cream. Paths from Jakes lead there. Explore outside
Jakes in the immediate Calabash Bay/Frenchman's area. Get an African herbal steam massage treatment at Shirley Genus Duggan's, and a Red Stripe at Cool Runnin's, a small beachside bar in Great Bay. Stop at
M&D'S Grocery en route for conch soup
or jerk or whatever special that day.
Up in Billy's Bay, past South Jammin
(good local/pool tables,music), there's a small bar called Love Rock at the
fisher's landing -- and the beach stretches up 3/4 miles. Fort Charles, a good 70 min.bike ride on the back road
past Billy's Bay, has the most pristine/
wild beach in area. Wild Onion and
Fisherman's are the 2 prime night time
places in town.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:26 AM

Well, I guess that would explain why the water in the pool looked dark & dirty. And admittedly there were two kids swimming in it while I was visiting, so I guess if the water had been really bad the parents wouldn't have allowed that. But the pool has definitely seen better days, as there were several tiles either broken or missing in an otherwise attractive mosaic pattern.

Like Tiv says, the pool isn't the main focus at Jake's, so I wouldn't let that hold you back if it's the only thing you have reservations about. Treasure Beach in general will greatly outweigh the lack of beautiful pool, in my opinion.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 01:30 PM

The beach adjacent to Jake's is lovely, I wouldn't worry about hte pool. It is SALTwater, not freshwater, FYI.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi people, Thanks again for all of your helpful responses! TivertonHouse, we will definitely look into your suggestions.

What is the protocol for tipping in Treasure Beach, as well as on the ride from Mo Bay airport to Jakes? By protocol, I mean "how much" roughly. I don't want to offer a certain amount and then have the driver, or the hotel staff look at me with thoughts of "cheap American" Any thoughts on this?
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Just as in this country, people in the travel/service industry deepend on tips. In Jamaica, tips may be even more important...because most do not have benefits, health insurance or any of the things we take for granted.

To answer your question, rather than get on my *soapbox*...my guideline is 15 to 20% for any services rendered.

I hope you'll enjoy every second and I know we all look forward to your trip report

Marion

Old May 4th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Marion, I thought 15-20% would be appropriate as well, but I'm glad to have reinforcement of that! I'm just getting so darned excited; one would think I've never been anywhere! LOL...

Oooohhhh....one more question! Would you recommend changing currency in the airport, or is there a better place to do so? We will pay with credit card for the hotel, but I would imagine that most of the smaller roadside places don't take them, correct?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -