Reload this Page >

Couples Negril or Couples Swept Away

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:47 PM
Kate

Hi--my husband and I are planning an August vacation to Negril--was wondering what people have thought of Swept Away as compared to just Couples Negril? Also, we've heard that its best to do air transfers from Montego Bay to the hotel--can anyone tell me how that works and who I can call to arrange it? We'd appreciate any tips on AI that you may have, as we've never done an AI before!Many thanks!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 02:24 PM
Scott

I will be honeymooning at SA next month, so I'll be able to answer alot of your questions after that. I have heard many good things about SA. Can't find a whole lot of feedback, though. I have talked (e-mail) with a guy who was recently there and he confirms the good things I've heard about the place. <BR><BR>Apparantly it is a good choice. (fingers crossed) From reading all that I can find from previous guests at both places...you can't go wrong choosing either one.<BR><BR>We have decided to not experience the bus/cab ride from Mobay to Negril and to do the puddle jumper. I have been looking at TimAir (seems to be popular), but a couple of other airlines offer similar service. AirJamaica is one. I'm figuring around $160 pp roundtrip for that one. Check timair.com for web info.<BR><BR>We've never done AI either. But, from what I gather, it is just that. No charge for food, drinks or tips. There are amenities they charge for (eg. spa deals like massages or certain water toys) Also, there seem to be some day trips that are offered through the resort.<BR><BR>My advice at this point is to do what you are doing. Seach the internet bb such as jamaicans.com or carribean-on-line.com/forums and the ever popular dennyp.com bb (it is mostly about the Hedonism resorts, but you can learn alot of travel and Jamaica info from the Hedo bulletin boards as people will discuss there travel experiences) <BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:55 PM
Suzi

We spent our anniversary at Couples, Negril in November and loved it! You will not need ANY money once you arrive except for the spa, which is wonderful. My favorite treatment was the 1 hour hand and foot reflexology! The beach, pool, and food are great! We took the bus from MoBay to Negril, and it was so bad that we spent the $100 (one way for the two of us) to fly back. The hotel arranged it for us. There were 4 options, ranging from $60 pp to $120 pp one way. <BR>I've heard good things about Swept Away, but haven't seen it. The area where Couples is located is on Bloody Bay, just around the corner from Seven Mile beach, where most of the other resorts are located. We liked the more secluded feel of Bloody Bay.<BR>I'd love to answer any questions. Suzi

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 08:33 PM
joyce

I absolutely love Couples Swept Away. The balconies in the Atrium and Beachfront categories are to die for, these are much better than Couples Negril. The food is awsome. Great presentation and service.<BR>No TV in the room, but they have added CD Players. The beach is lovely, Couples Negril has a better pool with swim up bar.<BR>You cannot go wrong with either Resort, I have stayed at both, but Swept Away is definately my favorite.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Tracy

Kate,<BR><BR>My husband and I just returned from Couples. Although it was a very nice resort, for what we spent and what we got, well.... First, the tipping is something you may want to consider. Although the resort has a "no tipping" policy, I must say a tip goes a long way with regard to their service, which in our opinion was a 3 star. The resort is nice, and I was told by previous posts not to pay for the upgrade, NOT! The oceanfront room saved our vacation! The MOST BEAUTIFUL SUNSETS FROM ROOM 6202. The food was excellent, but the staff is not overly attentive, but that can also be fixed by speaking to Glendon Lowe, manager. I will do not want to totally knock Couples, but will say if you plan on a 4-5 star resort, go to Mexico, BVI, or Anguilla! Couples offers many wonderful side trips which are well worth it, such as Rick's Cafe, the booze cruise and diving, if interested. Also, do not hesitate to rent a jeep. The best experience you will ever have, I assure you. I know people fret about the trip from Mo-Bay to Negril, but at your own pace, it's amazing. Please feel free to e-mail me for any more specifics.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:07 PM
Daria

$160 round trip per person is steep. TimAir charges about $110 per person round trip MoBay-Negril. There are a couple of small airlines that charge about the same. You can book in advance or just do it at the airport. If it's not busy season you will probably have no problem if you go from one counter to the next (they're all in the same room) and find out who has the next available plane. $50-$60 one way per person is the usual rate.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:09 PM
Daria

$160 round trip per person is steep. TimAir charges about $110 per person round trip MoBay-Negril. There are a couple of small airlines that charge about the same. You can book in advance or just do it at the airport. If it's not busy season you will probably have no problem if you go from one counter to the next (they're all in the same room) and find out who has the next available plane. $50-$60 one way per person is the usual rate.<BR><BR>By the way, Joyce said that the pool at Couples is better, but she neglected to say that Swept Away has an Olympic-size pool for real swimming, in addition to the rather small lounging pool near the dining room.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:23 AM
joan

Tracy, which Couples did you stay at? When we stayed at Couples Negril last year, twice when we tried to tip, once at the bar, once to the maid, the tip was denied! They were very embarassed and the bartender ran away, saying he was not permitted to accept tips. We ended up leaving the maid's tip in the room at the end of our stay, so as not to embarass her. Surprised to hear you say that tipping affected your service.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:03 PM
Ellen

We stayed at SweptAway last year and loved it - really beautiful and classy without in any way being pretentious. The staff were lovely. Only thing we missed a bit, was a "nightlife." Things seemed to close up early. Maybe we just didn't know where to look...?<BR><BR>At any rate, we would definitely recommend it.<BR><BR>Enjoy!