Help with Bermuda restaurant choices please

Old May 17th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Bermuda restaurant choices please

(Reposting) We are two "forty-plus" -something couples and will be traveling to Bermuda for our 3rd visit at the end of the month and will be staying at Coco Reef. Looking for a "Casual Friday" restaurant -- we have done Lobster Pot and Aqua the past 2 visits for "casual friday." Any suggestions or comments on Aggie's, Dennis's Hideaway, Docksider's, Cafe Lido, Portofino, or Fresco's? Saturday is our "somethin' special" evening -- we have been to Fourways both visits for Saturday night. Would like to try something new. Feedback on Horizon's, Waterloo, Newport Room or Tom Moore's, or other suggestions? And Sunday is "not too casual, not too fancy" -- we have been to Coconuts and either Little Venice or Portofino's before (can't remember which Italian restaurant it was). I'm thinking about Blu or maybe Ascots. Thoughts? Any other ideas. Appreciate the help!! (and thanks to emcash for the suggestion to repost with a better title and the recommendation for the Newport Room and Port O' Call)
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:19 AM

My husband and I really liked Blu and went on a Friday night. The views are great of the Sound (espec at sunset), service was very good and our food was tasty/fresh. Typical Bermuda prices...$28+ for an entree. I had the salmon and my husband had the steak. Dessert was good too.
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:36 PM

Aggie's is very casual and has only two or three picnic tables waterside. Her food is quite good, but I don't think she does dinner. An excellent casual stop would be Lemon Tree. Dennis Hideway is the essential Bermudian experience and you should do it at least once. I do not care for Fresco's or Docksider. Haven't been to Cafe Lido or Portofino in absolutely years.
Horizons is excellent. Waterloo is quite good, has beautiful views at the outdoor setting. Tom Moore's is also excellent with a very charming ambiance.
I liked Blu very much on my visit and Ascots is my favorite place. Can't go wrong with any of these. If you decide on Ascots book your table before you go.
Another place I enjoy is the Bistro at La Coquille in the Underwater Exploration Museum.
Have a wonderful time in Bermuda and be sure to post your report!
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:15 AM

We love the Lobster Pot and Aqua. Our other favorite is Fresco's (same owner
as Aqua). We opt for the small outdoor
seating----actually like it better than
Aqua. We have dined there many times. Port-O-Call is another good choice.

We have not been to Four Ways in a long time----this past trip we tried The Newport Room, had been there once many
years ago. It was very good. We also
did The Waterloo House, its always good,
but this was outstanding. The chef
had been at The French Laundry --

Blu is interesting---stopped for drinks,
lovely view and very much an upscale
club. I use to be a fan of Ascots--but since they put a new addition off the side of the porch---its too noisy. There were lots of big tables in that room.

We have been going to Bermuda for years,
and its always been an outstanding dining experience. Have a great trip.
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:32 PM

A few more restaurant ideas for you.

Bistro J - this is a small, intimate restaurant that would fit the bill for your Friday / casual (ish). It actually uses the same kitchen as Port O'Call with a much more limited menu that changes daily. All appetizers are $10 and all entrees are $20. It is a cute little spot (reservations necessary).

Definitely don't do Docksiders - it is a basically just a bar.

Cafe Lido - is not casual - this would fit the bill for your "special" evening on Saturday night.

Mickeys - probably a good idea for your casual Friday. It is on the beach at Elbow Beach hotel (just next to Cafe Lido)

Newport Room - very expensive and jacket required - definitely for a special night however I would perhaps recommend "the Waterlot" instead. It is at the same resort (southampton princess) and is lovely.

I have to run (to pick up my husband) but I'll try to post more ideas later.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 04:42 AM

topping for Elaine
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Just returned from Bermuda. Stumbled on Ascots for lunch. Place is fantastic - service, decor and food.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 03:48 PM

Tell us more, Muzzy. What else did you do and where did you stay/eat?
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:27 AM

topping