Fish restaurant in Bermuda

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been to Bermuda many times, have always had a great time, and are looking forward to it again in August. As such, we are fairly familiar with some places, and will/have done searches for various restaurant recommendations, but would like Fodorites' advice to update us on special needs:

Key: this trip, we are again taking senior citizen parents and want to consider their preferences.

(1) Needed: a restaurant that has wonderful fish, but at has some preparations that are fairly simple (or could be made simple without much bother or attitude from the staff.) It seems that many of menus on the restaurants' websites look great to my husband and me, but Dad often prefers things simply broiled, classic shrimp cocktail, GOOD English fish-and-chips (i.e. not overly-breaded soggy messes,) etc. Dad knows his fish and will know good preparation. He is not impressed by creative towers of food if the fish isn't wonderful.

Also: if anyone can suggest restaurants where the online menus may not show that they often have fish specials. For example, some might seem meat-heavy, but I know there are often catch-of-the-day fish specials.

Price: we know the restaurant pricing in Bermuda, and it is what it is. We already have reservations at the Waterlot, partly by reputation, partly because we will stay at the Fairmont Hamilton (a good choice from the past with senior parents.) We can do pricey, especially if the setting is nice, but appreciate good value. (More examples: we stayed at Horizons & Cottages a few times, and enjoyed the dining room there before it went B & B., and WAterloo House before its demise.)

(2) Any thoughts on restaurant or pub/bar at Tucker's Point (The Point?) is appreciated. We also enjoyed the Reefs' dining room (NOT Coconuts) before. It's more a preference for air conditioning in August than anything against Coconuts.

(3) Is the menu at Ascot's too fussy for a guy like Dad?

(4) More info: Dad is more of a traditional, red-sauce Italian guy, i.e. we have reservations at La TRattoria rather than Portofino. We are also considering Rustico while there.

In advance, thank you, Fodorites!
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 04:01 AM

I like Mad Hatter's and I think it suits your needs - the menu is small and frequently changes, the chef usually has atleast two fish options (the menu changes because he only cooks what he can get fresh that week), and the staff is extremely accomodating to special requests. Like the fish but not the way they're preparing it? Just say so, they'll change it for you. They go out of their way to make you happy. As a side note, they also provide the fish and chips for the adjacent Mariner's Club - and I know lots of Brits that go there just for that. So although it's not on their menu, I'm sure Ben (the chef) will take care of you.

Love Ascot's, but agree that it's a bit fussy for someone with simple tastes.

Love Rustico's - would choose that over either of the other two.

Another thought - North Rock Brewery in Smith's Parish might work for your folks - there's always a fish on the specials board, served broiled or pan-fried, good fish and chips, there's a pub area or a dressed-up dining room, and they have a soup or salad/entree/dessert early bird special (order before 6:45) offer Mon-Thur. It's a bit out of the way, so mostly locals.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your very useful insights.

Mad Hatter's was also on the radar, and this sounds like a vote of confidence. Also: Rustico will be on the list.

At a certain point, the seniors walk somewhat (age 82 and 90!), but it's often just as easy to pay the nice cab driver to take us where we want to go. We'd prefer not to have to drive out to Somerset from the home base at the Hamilton Princess, but we can do cabs to restaurants.

If it was just my husband and I, we'd also do the buses, but from the Princess, we'd have to take a cab to the bus stop in town if the group included the seniors.

More comments are always welcome!
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 08:37 AM

Hi madameX,
We just returned from a 9 night visit last Sunday (boohoo). I think our 15th or 16th visit. We really enjoyed dining at Rustico last week - a special birthday dinner for me. Excellent food and service. Tried La Trattoria - we all enjoyed it - how did we miss this place before? We will definately return next year.
As you are willing to cab, I would like to suggest The Dining Room Restaurant. Relatively new, located at Gibbs Hill Lighthouse. Run by the same folks as Rustico. We had a great meal there Friday evening.
http://www.primaverarestaurant.com/The_Dining_Room.html
You may eat inside or out. Wonderful view - obviously.
For fish & chips, my husband prefers them at the Hog Penny. He also dislikes heavily breaded, soggy fish.
And I wanted to add that a member of our party prefers her fish rather plain. This was requested at several restaurants and the staff always graciously accomodated her.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Bette --

Thank you for your suggestions. We also had our eye on The Dining Room, and appreciate this vote of confidence before going that far.

While we have always had good service at Bermuda restaurants, we like to know that so many restaurants can be accomodating.

We've also enjoyed Hog Penny for more pub-like food. (I hope no one thinks that we "know it all;" even if we've been in the past, who knows how it fares this year?) Sometimes we're in the mood for a pub; sometimes something less casual.

I try to make reservations that kind of mix it up, i.e. more formal dinner one night; less formal the next. Frankly, my husband and I could do formal every night since that is not the usual mode of dining available in our town, but with a group of 5-6 and varied tastes, we're trying to please.

Again, thanks for your input and suggestions.