Restaurants in Bermuda - lunch and dinner?

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in Bermuda - lunch and dinner?

Looking for specific recommendations - we are staying at The Reefs.
Lunch - can be formal or down & dirty - pull up to the bar and have a beer - same thing with dinner. Any suggestions appreciated! TIA!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Aren't you on a meal plan at the Reefs? Dinner is very good there. As far as lunches... downtown has some cute places to go to.
Across the street from the Reefs is a bar/restaurant called King Henry the VIII's. They used to have entertainment at night. When we were there years ago, they had a singer/piano player. He was a comedian. I think he moved over to the Southhampton Princess hotel which is also close. His name is Jimmy Keys. He was very funny. He is a little dirty but some good laughs. If he is playing, go see him. Hopefully cmcfong will see this post. She is very knowledgeable on Bermuda's restaurants.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Lunch...no doubt.. or even supper.. the Swizzle Inn...their fish sandwiches, chicken wings and of course their onion rings and Rum Swizzles...
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 09:38 AM

We have been going to Bermuda for many years. Our personal favorites are Aqua
at Ariel Sands, Frescos in Hamilton,
Ascots and Port O Call. We have also enjoyed The Lobster Pot. Staying at The Reefs you will have a beautiful view of the Ocean. Enjoy!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Penny and I like a lot of the same places but let me add the dining room at the Waterloo House, the HogPenny Pub (for lunch), and the restaurant in the Underwater Exploration Museum the name of which is momentarily escaping me. A favorite special occasion place is Fourways Inn on Middle Road.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:23 PM

How could I forget my favorite too--The Waterloo House! I spent many hours in the rain my first visit years ago at The Hog Penny, a classic for sure. I must get back to The Fourways--is the wondeful piano player still there.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:11 PM

I was there over Christmas, Penny, and the piano player was there. The house was so beautifully decorated and the food was absolutely divine. The only thing it lacks is a view.
The best meal I had was at Ascots. The favorite was Waterloo House, I sat there by the fire watching the boat parade and fireworks. Could I have had a better seat?
La Coquille is the name of the place at the Underwater Exploration Museum.
Penny, I am guessing our paths have crossed. I have been going to BDA for over thirty years. My favorite place.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 05:00 AM

Christmas in Bermuda---one of these days
I would love to see the island at this time of year. A few years ago I was all
set to go for it---but I heard reports of
glooming rainy weather. Was this your
experience?

Ascots has a lovely menu--but I enjoyed
the setting on the porch before they added the side yard addition. Last July
there were quite a few large groups,
and it was too noisy!

I will have to get back to La Coquille
its been years----thanks for the reminder.

We plan on going agian this July. Last year we were there for the black-out!
Not fun--but it was fine.

Bermuda has always been our standard,
now we travel all over the Caribbean
but there is nothing like Bermuda--
and its only a 1 hour-47 minute trip out
of Newark.

I know you feel the same way---
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 06:57 AM

I hope dloech doesn't think I am hijacking his or her thread.
Penny, when I was single I went to BDA two or three times a year, now it is usually only once a year....sigh. DH doesn't love it, so I usually go alone the week before Christmas. I love it then. The weather has been perfect on each of my visits for the last ten years. I can walk or ride my moped in shorts and a tee. I rarely even want a sweater for the ferry rides in the evening. I love being there when the Bermudians are having their holiday parties and the Boat Parade. I also love seeing all the holiday decorations at the different hotels (hands down Waterloo House is the winner there). Have fun in July!
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Definitely check on whether you are on the dinner plan at the Reefs. If you are, definitely get to Cambridge Beaches and have a souffle. Coco Reef also did us well in the food department. Skip Pompano - nice staff, nice location, food so-so. I think those are the four resorts that are on the dinner swap program. We went to Elbow Beach for dinner one night (can't remember which restaurant - but right on the beach) and had a fantastic meal - amazing dessert! Have fun!

cmcfong - sorry to hear DH doesn't love Bermuda - how could he not?! Maybe we'll run into you some year - I'm dying to go around Christmas one of these years!

For a casual lunch, check out the Frog and Onion up at the Dockyards - get dessert. Wherever you go, have some fish chowder and a dark and stormy (not necessarily at the same time, although that can't hurt).
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 07:21 AM

topping for Singer.