Bermuda Restaurants ??

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bermuda Restaurants ??

Ok guys - did I make a good choice for my restaurant reservations ?? I was told to be sure to make them well in advance because of all the "big" cruise ships going into Bermuda now. So let me know your thoughts on these - Lido, Lobster Pot, Lighthouse (Gibbs) and La Coquile - Thanks for your help !!
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:33 AM

Hi!
Just a little background on me - I live here and get to visit these restaurants in and out of cruise season. These are just my humble opinions.
Lido- top notch, great setting, you'll enjoy it. Wear shoes you can slip off for a stroll on the beach afterwards.
Lobster Pot, fine, food is good, it's a small, cozy joint with a casual feel.
Lighthouse - skip it. I might stop in for a snack if I was climbing the lighthouse and I was starving, but the service has been poor lately and the food seems to have gone downhill. I don't think it's worth your time.
La Coquille - I am assuming you mean Harbourfront (in the old La Coquille location at Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute)? If so, great choice, again, nice location, food and service are good - awesome sushi, the menu leans towards Oriental. Get a table outside if it's a nice night.
Hope that helps!
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks TXgirlinbda !! I called LaCoquille - hope I didn't call the wrong place !! No wonder I couldn't find anything about it online. I had a bad feeling about the Lighthouse. We are staying at Pompano - can you recommend another restaurant in our area for us ? We went to Henry VIII but were disappointed last year. Thanks for all your help - we really appreciate it.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 09:55 AM

We visit the island every June and always enjoy dinner at the Fourways for our "special" night. The food is excellent and the staff make it extra special.

We had a good meal at Bolero last year; didn't call early enough this year and didn't get in. It is on Front St. in Hamilton.

We've had many good dinners at Port O Call. Currently closed for renovations but website indicates reopening in July 2008. Not sure when your trip is. This may fit into your schedule.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:23 AM

I visit Bermuda frequently and from my experience the Lobster Pot is just ordinary. I love Ascots, Fourways and Blu. I ordinarily recommend the Lighthouse Tea Room for lunch or tea because of the great view, the interesting ambiance and the better than average casual food. However, Txgirlinbda makes a very good point. I was there a week or so ago and there was one server working. The place was packed, people were making jokes about the wait, the confused orders and the "we're out of thats". The food was OK, not as good as on past visits. The view was still spectacular, but you can see that without the meal.
I stayed at Pompano in December and it is absolutely wonderful. I walked over to the ferry for rides into Hamilton but I was very happy to come home at night to beautiful Pompano and that gorgeous ocean view.
Have a wonderful time!
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks cmcfong !! We always stay at Pompano - 4 years in a row and counting !! same room too !! I love that place. But...we usually get the meal plan so we wanted to try different places this year. Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Bette & cmcfong - I just called Fourways - good thing!! July 26 already booked but we were able to get July 25. Just to let you know on Fodors it says Jackets Required - but he said they are no longer required - just long pants and nice shirt. Thanks again - I'll report when I get back !
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:25 PM

JerseySue, I had the meal plan at Pompano and frankly I missed trying different places every night. I don't think I realized you were staying there this visit. They do have exchange privileges with Cambridge Beaches and the Tamarind Room there is top quality.
I hope you enjoy Fourways. I often stay at the cottage colony there. It lacks a sea view, but it is very convenient and comfortable.
Have a great trip.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi cmcfong - are the cottages a part of Pompano or Port Royal Golf ?? What are they like ?? Kitchens ??

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 05:48 PM

I am sorry my post wasn't clear, JerseySue. I stayed at Pompano in December in one of the one bedroom oceanfront suites, part of an eight unit group next to the golf course.

I often stay at the cottage colony at Fourways. I mention that since you will be dining there you might want to check out their cottages. Although there is no sea view it is a nice set up and very pleasant place to stay.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:19 AM

Fourways - I'm glad you called and got a reservation! I think you will enjoy. We were last there on June 17th. My husband did wear a jacket & tie, the remainder of the dining I would say was 50 / 50 jackets / tie and other men nice slacks and nice shirt, some also with jacket, but no tie. I MUST recommend the dark n' stormy souffle - really wonderful.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bette - after seeing your reply and the other replies about the Lighthouse I changed my reservation to Fourways !!! We will just have lunch at the lighthouse.