Bermuda Hotel, Cambridge Beaches

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going Bermuda mid April for 4 days. We are booking Cambridge Beaches and now I am hearing that it is stuffy and not friendly. Any feedback? Also, I would love some local inexpensive places to eat, I do not want to spend a fortune on meals that are overpriced and only so so.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:05 AM

I have found the staff of Cambridge Beaches very friendly. The rooms are extremely nice and there is a very high standard of service at the hotel. it has an excellent on site spa and fitness facility and the beaches are very well kept. The restaurant is a bit more elegant and dressy than some of the hotels; but, did not strike me as stuffy or off putting.
Inexpensive and Bermuda don't find themselves in the same sentence often. One of the best ways to enjoy a great meal less expensively is to go for lunch. Waterloo House, the restaurant in the Underwater Exploration Museum and Ascots are among my favorite places. Relatively inexpensive meals can be found at the Hogpenny Pub, the Frog and Onion Pub, and the Somerset Squire. I recommend you buy the book Eating out in Bermuda, it costs two or three dollars and gives sample menus for many of the restaurants on the island. Enjoy Bermuda. It is a beautiful country.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:36 AM

We went to Cambridge Beaches about five years ago and loved it. We were approaching our 40th birthdays, and were among the "younger" guests, but there were a couple young couples with children (maybe 5-6 years old).
We did not find it stuffy at all, but perhaps on the quiet/private side. All the staff was lovely, except for one waiter who used to aggressively mash our souflee to add the creme.
CB includes breakfast, tea, and dinner... so the only meal you have to consider is lunch. Personally, I think a pina colada makes a great lunch! But there was a casual place with outdoor seating and a great view a short scooter ride away from CB in the direction of the Naval Yard - talk about a cheeseburger in Paradise. For dinner you can enjoy the dine around plan if you'd like to check out other places; we stayed put as we liked the food, preparation, and atmosphere so much at the CB dining room. Lovely amenities as described in cmc's post above. Also, the ferry will take you downtown and back from the CB pier about every 2nd or 3rd day. Taking the scooter out to the Naval Yard also makes a wonderful day.
I think you've made a spectacular choice. If you want to search for something similar, perhaps more casual, you could try Arial Sands or the Reefs.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both for the info...I booked CB and we are very excited! Quiet is good since I am 6 months pregnant. I know we will have a wonderful trip.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:03 AM

http://www.bermuda.com/categories/di...sualdining.htm

This link has some restaurant menus.

I have been to Bermuda 5 times and stay at the Hamilton Princess. In a way, I would say that most of Bermuda is a bit "stuffy". It's not a crazy touristy Island like Cacun. No drink games, etc. It's very proper and relaxing. No girls gone wild! The Island is extreeeemly friendly. You will feel very safe. Please post a trip report when you return. I would love to hear your thoughts.

But yes, the food is quite expensive and just "ok". Since it's a British Ilsnad there is a lot of pub style food. My favorite places to eat are: The Hog Penny, Lobster Pot, Portofino and the Pickled Onion.