HELP ME FIND MY IDEAL ISLAND.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need advice on where to go for a 10 day vacation in July or August for my wife and I. We've never been before. Here are our criteria in order of preference:<BR>1. Wide beach, white sand, blue shallow water that you can walk out into forever.<BR>2. Villa or hut on the beach. <BR>3. Quiet, remote, isolated.<BR>4. No night life necessary.<BR>5. Palm trees hanging over the water.<BR>6. A few restaurants somewhere.<BR>7. Don't mind paying for a nice place.<BR>8. Don't care about the drinks.<BR>9. Don't care about mountains or hikes.<BR>10. Don't care about touring any cities or historical sites.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Sounds to me like you'd enjoy Turks &amp; Caicos, Or maybe Anguilla, minus the palm tree hanging over the water. Not sure where you'll find a &quot;wide beach&quot; with trees that are close to the water....How is that possible? It's either skinny with trees hanging over the water, or wide....But the two I've suggested fit most of your criteria.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 12:20 PM

McclureJones:<BR><BR>Sounds like you'll have a fabulous time, no matter where you choose. For your #1 criterion, white beach + beautiful, shallow water, your best island bets are the Turks and Caicos and some of the Bahamas. Also, Barbuda off the coast of Antigua, where one stretch of beach is 17 miles long.<BR><BR>For starters, look at:<BR>www.parrot-cay.com, a private island in T&amp;C. They have villas right on the beach, it is very quiet and remote, and the main focus is the beautiful beach and gorgeous water. It is pricey, but you can sometimes find offerings at www.luxurylink.com. Since it is a private island, however, there is only one restaurant.<BR><BR>www.islandoutpost.com for Pink Sands on Harbour Island inthe Bahamas. 24 private cottages right on the beach, some with outdoor plunge pools and whirl pools. The beach is gorgeous, and there's good food on site and elsewhere on the island. Not as remote or private as above.<BR><BR>www.covecastles.com on Anguilla. A collection of villas directly on one of Anguilla's best beaches. Very exclusive, gorgeous beach &amp; water. Great dining all over Anguilla.<BR><BR>www.capjuluca.com Also on Anguilla, very posh hotel with some individual villas on beach. Great dining onsite and elsewhere on island. Again, gorgeous water and beach.<BR><BR>www.palmettohotel.com on Barbuda, just north of Antigua. Island of pink-white sand and endless beach. Restaurant on site and only a few other on the island. Villas right on the beach. Quiet and remote. Decent all-inclusive prices at this place. (I considered it for my honeymoon but got a last minute, can't-pass-up deal elsewhere)<BR><BR>K Club (don't know website) is also on Barbuda, but as it is allegedly very fashionable and a place to see and be seen, I've never really explored it. (plus out of my price range)There is a current offering for K Club on www.luxurylink.com which may make it worth your while.<BR><BR>Although the beach is not particularly wide, for privacy and relaxation, I don't think you can beat Petit St. VIncent resort in the Grenadines. www.psvresort.com. There are cottages directly on a beach, there is one cottage up on a slight bluff with a private staircase down to secluded beach. There are huts and palm trees all over the island with hammocks and lounges set up, so you can choose a different place every day. It's a private island resort, so there's only one dining option. You can read a great review online at www.scubamom.com. They've got a flag system for communicating all over the island. Say you're thirsty on a remote part of the beach. Walk to the nearest flagpole, hoist the yellow flag, and a staff member will come pronto, then return with a cold beer or frozen pina colada, or iced tea. There are also stations set up along the longest stretch of beach with hammocks, bottled water, and bunches of bananas. <BR><BR>Have a great time! Email me with questions if you'd like. [email protected]
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 12:26 PM
cd

It's not in the Caribbean, but you want Bora Bora in French Polynesia. White sandy beaches and the bluest lagoon's I have ever seen while you live in an &quot;over the water bugalow&quot; Check it out at: www.boraboralagoonresort.orient-express.com
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 07:43 AM

i guess it's clear to you by now that you want to go to T&amp;C. palm trees are not indigenous but have been imported and were grown there for export for a time.<BR> you want to contact www.oceanpointvills.com and you will want to stay in Vieux Caribe or Stonecrest (or smaller cheaper house is the cottage but it has no oven if you want to do meals at home)Taylor Bay Beach has no palm trees but you can walk out on the softest whitest sand no deeper than your knees mostly, for about 1/4 mile. directly in front of your house will be a 30 foot wide man made channel so you can swim off your own boat dock to cool off.cottage has no pool other two do.you must rent a jeep to stay here, but that's easy to do, and they'll meet you at the airport, lead you to the house and show you stuff. jeep is because island roads are rough not because opv's are remote. hope this helps.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 10:38 AM

<BR><BR>Meridian Club on Pine Cay in the Turks &amp; Caicos. See URL below:<BR><BR>http://meridianclub.com<BR><BR>I'm spending ten days there at the end of April and can't wait. Did lots of research and decided this place is just the ticket for me. The other locale we like in the Caribbean is Cap Juluca on Anguilla which also is an option for you.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 11:56 AM

Go to Roatan Honduras....excellent beach homes directly on the beach...very private and great rates. We rented a 3 bedroom awesome home fully loaded on the beach....for $500.00 total...we stayed for two weeks and it was the best vacation we ever had...heck we even got laid right on the beach in the afternoon...it doesn't get any better than that.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 06:08 AM

Belize, very beautiful and romantic.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 07:10 AM

While Anguilla is my favorite caribbean island and will be visiting T &amp; C in June I agree that they are just what you are looking for in the caribbean. However, I have to agree with cd, Bora Bora and/or Moorea is exactly what you are looking for and offers an unbelievable experience. These islands are true paradise. The most beautiful blue and turquoise and emerald water I have ever seen. Our over the water bungalow had a glass top coffee table that opened up so we could feed the fish! Total relaxation and beauty! Wherever you chose, enjoy!