Best Place in the Bahama Out Isalnds?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to spend a little time doing a lot of nothing. We have been all over the Caribbean but not to the Bahama's. Looking for a quite place with good food and even better beaches.

Thnaks!

KMF
Old May 13th, 2003, 09:12 AM

Check our Harbor Island. Travel Channel rated it the best beach(es) in the Caribbean. It's a wonderful place, and I've been to 12 islands in Carib.
Old May 13th, 2003, 12:51 PM

I would suggest Cat Island. We stayed there for 10 glorious days and I would go back in a heartbeat. Your choice of accommodations is very limited, most of the "resorts" are very small, casual and perfect for those who want to get away from it all. We stayed at the Hawks Nest Resort and Marina. Fantastic. The managers, Brian and Jennifer, are young and enthusiastic, but insightful enough to know when to leave people alone. Food is good and the accommodations are well appointed with wicker furniture, etc. No telephones in the rooms and no TV perse, just a TV with a built in VCR. You can get videos inside the club house, no charge. Hawks Nest has its own airstrip, scuba shop and kayaks to use. It's a big place - 400 acres - so you can use a golf cart to go from beach to beach or a bicycle. There are half dozen or so beaches, each with a hut and lounge chairs. They will pack picnic lunches for you if you request. I have never been so relaxed in all my life. Truly a special place. It's the ideal locale to "spend a little time doing a lot of nothing." When we were there, some actor from a daytime soap was there as well. It's just a nice place to go and forget about the outside world.
Old May 16th, 2003, 05:44 AM

We enjoyed Eleuthera island. VERY quiet, remote, private, and laid back - especially in the off season. There were several restaurants we went into where we were the only patrons (talk about personal service!) and we were always the only ones on the beach. Habor Island is on the far end of Eleuthera and is very beautiful with many nice restaurants and a wonderful beach. Ten Bay Beach on Eleuthera was gorgeous and we were the only ones there all day - a stretch of gorgeous white sand and crystal clear water as far as you could see. We stayed at a wonderful private villa - very reasonably priced at $650/wk in the off season - (www.calypsocalypso.com) it had an oceanfront view, a/c, and a very secluded setting. The owner has one of the only sailboats on the island and for a very reasonable rate will take you on a private sail. All in all, it was a very nice island if you want beauty and seclusion - not much activity going on. I would recommend Harbor Island if you want more restaurants and activity. It was also very beautiful, but more populated.
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:29 AM

I tried the web address www.calypsocalpso.com, but it didn't work. Can you help? It seems like a good deal! Thanks
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:37 PM

http://calypsocalypso.com/links.htm
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:08 AM

Harbour Island would be a good suggestion as would the Abacos and Eleuthera.

For nice places to stay on HI, try www.runawayhill.com or www.romora.com and the website for HI and N. Eleuthera is www.briland.com Also on Eleuthera you might try Coco Di Mama, but not sure of the website address.

On Abaco try www.abaco.com.

Have a great trip.