Pink Sands, Mustique, St. Barts

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pink Sands, Mustique, St. Barts

I'm planning a trip to the Carribean next month. Because I've been a very good dad, I'm going ALONE. Since it's probably the last non-Disney vacation I'll go on in the next ten years, I've been authorized to shoot the works.

Here's what I'm looking for: QUIET, small, swanky but casual, no car necessary (I'd rather not even see a car) and beach service of tasty drinks.

All of the above have been recommended. I can't believe I'm writing this, but MONEY IS NO OBJECT.

Suggestions?
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Can't speak to the other choices as we haven't been, but my husband and I loved the Cotton House in Mustique. It fits the bill in terms of swanky but casual. The whole island is swanky but casual. The Cotton House is pretty much the only hotel on the island and most of the island is private villas inhabited by the likes of Mick Jagger and Tommy Hilfiger. The Cotton House has a weekly cocktail party on its verandah where all the islands residents are invited. (We didn't see Mick or Tommy at the party, but did meet some British Royalty). Our room was gorgeous. I don't remember its number or name, but I think they refer to it as the Honeymoon Suite. It is on the top floor of the villa closest to their main beach and dive shop. We loved having breakfast each morning on our terrace with its magnificent view. However, not everything was perfect about the Cotton House. The food at the hotel's restaurant while good was not great, at least not by our New York City standards and there aren't a whole lot of other options for food on the island. Additionally, the beach on the property isn't one of the best I've seen in the Caribbean, nor even on the island. I know you said that you didn't want to deal with a car, but there are gorgeous beaches on the other side of the island. You can rent mini-mokes from the hotel and if you go, I would recommend that you do that at least once. The hotel will pack you a gourmet picnic for you to take with you.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Out of curiousity, what are the best beaches you've seen in the Carribbean?
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 03:11 PM

The best beaches in terms of soft, white sand and beautiful water that I've seen would have to be Turks & Caicos. We stayed at Parrot Cay, which may also fit the bill for what you are looking for. It is a private island so there is certainly no need for a car (of course, that also means no escape from the resort). If money is no object, they are supposed to have fabulous bungalows on the beach, although, I did not stay in one or see one. Unfortunately, I don't remember anyone serving drinks on the beach. There was service at the pool and it seemed as if most people stayed by the pool, which is surprising given how incredibly beautiful the beach was there. There were times when we were the only ones on the beach. P.S. I also don't recall seeing any kids there.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 04:42 PM

Check out Petite St. Vincent Resort's website in the Grenadines also. You raise a certain color flag if you want something or don't want to be bothered. Also Palm Island Resort looks very nice (Grenadines). Only saw Palm Islands beach, not PSV's. Verrry nice.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 10:33 PM

Madison,
I have lady friends you can hook up with, let me know.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Traveler
It's comments like that that make opportunities like this so rare...
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

OK, I've "narrowed" my choices down to 9. I'm looking for the type of place described above (the type of place a movie star would stay it, even if movie stars don't stay there, if you know what I mean), with 2 additional criteria: I need a phone in the room (to say goodnight to my kids) and I'd like a beautiful beach. I'm still holding out against getting a car. Ok, here goes: let me know which of these is right (or utterly wrong) for me:

St Barts (Isle de France, Le Toiny, Taiwana)
Mustique (Cotton House, Firefly)
Parrot Cay
Palm Island
Pink Sands (Bahamas)
Peter Island (BVI)

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Oops -- forgot one: Saltwhistle Bay in the Grenadines
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Madison 59:

Having been to St. Barths many times, I would say to really appreciate the island, you NEED a car. Most dining options are far from the places you are looking at staying at (esp. Le Toiny which isn't located at a swimming beach). IMO, St. Barths (with a car rental) at Isle de France, Pink Sands or Parrot Cay would be your "perfect" getaway.

Good luck planning.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 10:23 AM

YOU are SO lucky ! What choices , admittedly , have not yet been to any of the above , but from your original post I would say Cotton House or Firefly . Then Peter Island or Guana Island . Wherever you go , I am sure it will be marvelous ! Faith
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 12:09 PM

The Cotton House Beach is not the greatest and Firefly is not on the beach, so I think that might disqualify them.

I think Saltwhistle Bay is one of the prettiest small beaches I have ever seen, but the resort has seen better days and I don't think you'd run into any movie stars there !

Movie stars did stay at Young Island during the filming of Pirates of the Caribbean - but I really can't recommend the beach. I also ran into Orlando Bloom in Mustique but think he was renting a villa.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input - I'd be lost without it. I think I'm leaning towards Parrot Cay, Isle de France (with... moped?) or Pink Sands.

I'm a little worried about the non-amazing beaches on Mustique and at Le Toiny, and Taiwana may be a little too swanky (no advertising, no credit cards?)
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Sir, I've been an exceptionally " good mom" and no one is sending me to the Caribbean!
You must be doing something right. Seriously, I have travelled the area various
times, including many of the "high end" resorts you have mentioned and I have the
following comments: I believe that Pink Sands will be way too cool next month to
ensure a great experience. Peter Island
(which I have visited twice) is very nice, but
to ensure a beachfront accommodation you need to stay 1 week. The beach, however,
is fabulous, and there is a free boat shuttle to Road Town several times a day if you get bored. The food is generally very good. If you are seriously thinking about the BVI, then I prefer Biras Creek to Peter. Food exceptional, beach very nice; opportunites to take day sails elsewhere and I am told there is a new spa (which did not exist when I visited about 3 years ago). Palm Island has an incredible beach; but you are virtually stuck there for your entire
stay, and travel to/from the island is difficult.
Not sure about the food and think there is an older crowd. One place you did not mention was Nevis, which I adore and which has an elegant, authentic old Caribbean "great house" experience provided you DO NOT stay at the Four Seasons. I know that there are 4 Seasons fans, but in Nevis you have some wonderful properties, e.g. Nisbet Plantation (right on a lovely beach with excellent food and gracious service), Montpelier Plantation and Hermitage Plantation. This is a truly fabulous island with a lot of history and grace. I have also been to Young Island in St. Vincent (not one of your choices but mentioned by a poster), which has a nice staff and good food but a truly substandard beach given the distance/difficulty of travel. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. Without this advice, I'd be in big trouble. I will only ask for the benefit of your experience this one last time...

Parrot Cay or St. Barts?

I'm looking to spend four days getting pampered, reading, swimming in the ocean, drinking fruity drinks, eating a variety of delicious foods and sleeping ten hours a night.

I've already reserved a "Beach House" at Parrot Cay, and need to get into reserving a St. Bart's hotel (probably Isle de France) tomorrow.

What say you, Fodorites?
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 02:55 PM

I'm the poster that originally suggested Parrot Cay and now that you have posted the fact that you are only going for 4 days and R&R is a priority, I think that Parrot Cay would be perfect for you. (Plus, easy short flight from the U.S. so you're not wasting your 4 days with traveling) Parrot Cay is incredibly relaxing. The spa is wonderful. I also saw in a prior post that you mentioned you would be interested in a place where a celebrity would go. When I was there, I had just missed Jerry Seinfeld, Brittney Spears and Cindy Crawford (but we did meet the Prince or King of Malaysia and the owner of the hotel who had just returned from having dinner the night before with Castro in Cuba where he is building another hotel). Bruce and Demi (who evidently still travel together with the family) loved it so much that Bruce Willis has built a home on Parrot Cay. It gets a very international and jet setting crowd. My only concern with Parrot Cay would be that the same hotel/restaurants could get boring during an extended stay but 4 days is so short a time that a private island like Parrot Cay is perfect for you. Although I haven't been to St. Bart's, my friends who have tell me they love St. Bart's for the shopping, restaurants, and see and be seen aspects. If you are trying to avoid using a car, it sounds like Parrot Cay would be the preferable option.