Reload this Page >

Best place in the Bahamas

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2003, 07:10 AM
missj

I have not been to the Bahamas in years. My one trip there was to the HI in, I believe, Paradise Island. Would consider another visit to the islands but I am curious to hear from recent travelers - I'm looking for an upscale resort atmosphere, clean beach, willing to consider the out islands. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Old May 8th, 2003, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We spent 10 glorious days on Cat Island, one of the out islands. Your choice of accommodations are limited, but the Hawks Nest Resort & Marina is fantastic. Very small, intimate, private airstrip, you can rent either a room (tastefully decorated with wicker) or they have a beautiful three bedroom house available for rent. When we were there an actor from a TV soap was there "to get away from it all." Nothing to do on the island as far as nightlife or clubs, but it is the perfect anecdote to getting away from it all. Hawks Nest is 400 acres and has one beach that you can walk 1/2 mile out to a sandbar and look for sand dollars. Each beach has a hut for protection from the sun and they will pack a picnic lunch for you. Check it out, it's worth the time it takes to get there.
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:41 AM

The Travel Channel just rated Harbour Island the #1 best beach destination in the world.It is a slice of pure heaven, very quiet, small, safe. I absolutely loved walking the pink sand beaches and bicycling around the island.
Old May 8th, 2003, 11:17 AM

Kamalame Cay, just off the coast of Andros, is an amazing property, if you have a big budget. I would highly recommend it. The cottages are beautifully designed and furnished, and the grounds are impeccably kept not to mention very private.

http://www.islandoutpost.com/KamalameCay/index.html
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:42 PM

There are three world class resorts in the Bahamas: Pink Sands (Harbour Island), Ocean Club (Paradise Island) and the soon to be open Four Seasons Eleuthera.
The Ocean Club was rated the #1 luxury resort in the Caribbean last month by readers of Departures magazine. There are several detailed reviews of OC here in the archives.
PS is more secluded than OC, more expensive, has a more beach-y decor than OC.
I have seen no details about FS as yet.
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:45 PM
TG

Compass Point in Nassau is a great place if you like a small (only 18 units), safe and beautiful setting. We've stayed there as a family 3 times and had a GREAT time each visit. Even met Sean Connery there one year, he has a house not too far from Compass Point.
Old May 8th, 2003, 07:32 PM

The Four Seasons is about to open on Exuma on Eleuthera, most of the large resorts on Eleuthera have either closed or been wiped out by Hurricanes over the last few years.

It would be good for the economics of Eleuthera to have a new larger resort built and there is some talk of a large project in the planning stages.

I would also recommend Harbour Island, and there are several nice places to stay there, Pink Sands, Romora Bay, Coral Sands, Runaway Hill (our favorite) and Dunsmore Beach Club.

It is getting easier to get there now as well, you can fly directly into Nassau and take Bahamas Air (15 minute flight)or the Fast Ferry (about 2 hours) over to the island.

If you need any other info on Harbour Island, please let me know.

Also try the Harbour Island and N. Eleutehra website www.briland.com
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:40 AM

Four Seasons in Exuma is opening nov 1st and is fully booked til jan of 2004