Which Bahama Out Island?

Feb 5th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Which Bahama Out Island?

I need some advice on which bahama out island would be the best to travel to. We are looking at Abaco, Exuma, or Eleuthera. We basically like secluded beaches and some snorkelling. Any suggestions on hotels also would be helpful. Hopetown lodge looks nice in Abaco. thanks
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:41 PM

If by going to the one of the Out islands, you are trying to avoid tourists and nightlife, then I would suggest Cat Island. There are only two choices for accommodation - either Fernandez Bay or Hawks Nest Resort (where we stayed.) There is nothing to do on Cat Island but enjoy some of the most beautiful beaches in the Bahamas and just get away from the rest of the world. If you are looking for megaresorts, shopping, nightlife, then none of the Out islands are for you. You also might want to check out Stocking Island, just across the way from Exuma. Ah, heaven ....
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:25 AM

I would echo SusanLynne's suggestion of Cat Island -- we stayed at Fernandez Bay Village in November 2003 and were smitten (check out my trip report: www.homestead.com/islandtime/MainPage1.html).

That webpage also has reports of 2 of my 4 trips to the Abacos. If you would like to snorkel and decide on Abaco, I would recommend that you rent a motor boat, as it's the easiest way to reach some of the snorkel spots, and facilitates island-hopping. While there is snorkeling off the beach off Hopetown Harbour Lodge (which is, indeed, very pretty and ideally situated on the beach but close to town), it's advisable only when ocean conditions are settled. Other places to consider staying in the Abacos are the Abaco Inn and the Seaspray Resort on Elbow Cay, the Dolphin Beach Resort on Great Guana Cay, and the Green Turtle Club and Bluff House on Green Turtle Cay.

As for Eleuthera, it's been too many years since I visited there, but there, too, you can count on amazing beaches and seclusion.

Sadly, I haven't made it to Exuma yet -- but that's because I'm saving that for when I take my own sailboat down. Land-based, I would consider the Staniel Cay Yacht Club.

In any event, you can hardly go wrong. Just remember that if you are traveling from December through March, it may be cooler in the Bahamas than you might like for a tropical escape.
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Sunnyboy

Just to add another point of view, I preferred Long Island over Cat Island. There are miles and miles of beautiful powdery white sand beaches that, except for the few guests right in front of the resort, are virtually empty of other people. The two resorts, Cape Santa Maria and Stella Marris, offer comfortable accomodation. There is great snorkling and if you want a little excitement some of the best bone fishing in the Bahamas. Like Cat Island there's not much in the way of shopping or nightlife.

Feb 7th, 2004, 06:50 PM

We stayed at Hopetown Harbour lodge a few months ago and would highly recommend it. Beautiful beach, nice accommodations and really good food. Beautiful island to visit. I also recommend Guana Cay in the Abacos. We have be there 5 times and are going back this November. Dolphin Beach Resort is on a 5 mile beach on the island with good snorkeling...beautiful place. We stay on Guana for 5 days then take the ferry to Hopetown and stay for 3. The most relaxing place we have ever been. Any questions feel free to email.