Info on the Bahamas' Outer Islands

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info on the Bahamas' Outer Islands

We are interested in any information you can give us about the outer islands of the bahamas. We've been to Antigua, Barbados, the Caymans and the Turks and Caicos.

We looking for something quiet with beaches like Grace Bay but yet not dead.

Any ideas?

Thanx in advance!

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 08:50 AM

You might want to look at several outislands, like Cat, Long, Eleuthera, the Abacos and Harbour Island.

Harbour Island is more touristy friendly, you don't have to have a car (actually a golf cart) to get around, because the island is walkable and the beach there is one of the best in the world.

Eleuthera is a bit more quiet and you have to have a car to see the island. Probably the best place to stay on Eleuthera is CocodiMama (www.cocodimama.com)

Try a few of these websites
www.myharbourisland.com
www.eleu.net
www.rockhousebahamas.com
www.romorabay.com
www.coconuttelegraph.com (Abaco)
www.runawayhill.com
www.coralsands.com
www.islandoutpost.com

Also try the www.where2stay.com site for LOTS of info on hotels.

Have a great trip.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 09:05 AM

As wantsomesun implied Harbour Island might be just what you are looking for in a destination.

Cape Santa Maria on Long Island may appeal to you. It's a small resort on a 7 mile long beach with white sand that's as soft as talcum powder. The island itself is about 50 miles long and has plenty of other nearly deserted beaches. There are only a few restaurants on the island, a handful of shops and not much else to do there, however.

Cat Island may be too queit. It is similar to Long Island in size and has plenty of empty beaches - you can go for days without seeing another soul. It is a sleeply island that make Long Island seem busy by comparison. Go there if you truly want peace and quiet. If every hotel room on the island was booked I doubt there would be more than 300 tourists on the entire island.

Have fun choosing your destination.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 10:15 AM

Abacos has nice quiet beaches but the place is definately not dead. The hotels are unimpressive however. Also lots of possibility to island hop in the cays which is fun. Decent restaurants on Elbow Cay and Marsh Harbor.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Grace Bay is, indeed, one of the best beaches anywhere. The Out Islands can provide its match.

I would second the suggestion for the Abacos. Stunning, empty beaches, but with activity in the settlements to keep things interesting. Great Guana Cay might be ideal for you -- with that amazing 7-mile beach on the ocean side, a little nightlife at Nipper's (and good food, too), plus easy access to other cays for island-hopping. Elbow Cay has a little more activity (namely in the form of Hopetown) and similar beaches.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, All!

wantsomesun
A_Traveller
mnag
Callalo

We'll check out the suggested sites and more info on Abacos.

All the Best;
wvdavid
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 05:04 AM

Grace Bay is awesome.
My choices for Out Islands would be:
Exumas
Harbour Island
Eleuthera

Abacos has some great beaches, but I'm not crazy about the places to stay. They're not bad, just not my favorite.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:39 AM

I would not go to Great Exuma-four Seasons. The hotel is lovely but a number of visitors including myself found the food below average to poor. You also do not have any real alterbnatives outside of the hotel dining. There is NO real snorkeling aroud Great Exuma either. In the Abacos and Andros the snorkeling is quite good as is the diving.T&C has good to very good snorkeling but not the quality of Andros.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Rent a home on Eleuthera. And of course a car 100 miles of beaches. Some of the finest u will ever find. Beats Grace Bay out. No mega condo projects. (yet) Look likes the secret is out. Eleuthera has been featured in the Wall St. Journal amd other mags. Condos are now being offered in Rainbow for 400+ pre-construction prices. Starwood is building a hotel. And all the local builders are booked far in advance.