Okay, now I'm confused...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd heard only great stuff about Cat Island, but now I'm hearing maybe it's not so great. SO.... here is my dilemma!

I think the Bahamas would be great; here's what we are looking for:

GREAT beaches (nice sand, farily calm, clear water)

Nice rooms ON THE BEACH, with good service (would prefer a little cottage, if possible)

Some stuff to do (but not partying), like snorkeling, horseback riding, golfing, nature walks, maybe a little shopping

SECLUSION (I know that contradicts some of the other stuff!). We don't want an overly touristy place with tons of people and no kids, if possible.

We'd just like to get away from it all, but still have some modern amenities! We are very private, but would like a little bit of an option of things to do. Most of the time we will be reading or sitting on the beach relaxing tho (don't need a phone or TV).

Please give me your best advice!!!!!

AND THANKS!!!!!

KT
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 08:19 AM

Have you looked into Pink Sands? Harbor Island, Bahamas

It's lovely!
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Oh, it looks like heaven! But I think a little out of our price range... anything nice, but less expensive?
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 09:25 AM
Sunnyboy

No need to be confused when you have a clear understanding of the out-islands. Some of them, such as Cat Island are are sparsely populated and have minimal number of tourist amenities. I'd venture a guess that if every hotel room on Cat Island was booked with 2 people per room there wouldn't be more than 150 tourists on the entire island. If you spread them out over the 60 or so miles the island covers you can easily understand why there's not much going on. As I said in my respose to your earlier post, Cat Island is for those people who are really looking to get away from it all.

There are other out-islands which have better tourist facilities without giving up the feeling of seclusion your are seeking. Check out resorts on Green Turtle Cay or Marsh Harbour on Abaco, near George Town in the Exumas, in Governor's Harbour on Eluthera Island, or any on Harbor Island. All of these destinations offer a good combination of long secluded white sand beaches and decent tourist aminities. Good luck finding the island that fits your needs.

Old Apr 1st, 2004, 03:22 PM

What are you hearing that is making you concerned?

I visited Cat Island last year, staying at Fernandez Bay Village, and LOVED it. In fact, I'm plotting my return. The island has much of what you seek: seclusion, spectacular beaches, beach cottages, water-oriented activities, etc. If you have your heart set on golf and shopping, however, you may be disappointed.

Read about my trip at www.homestead.com/islandtime/MainPage1.html. If you have any more questions, feel free to e-mail me through that site.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 04:17 PM

For what you are looking for in a vacation, Harbour Island or the Abacos would probably be a better choice. YOu can take the ferry or fly between both islands now, and there are nice places to stay and several restaurants for both locations.

I love Harbour Island, and it has all you are looking for and a little more, snorkle trips on a deserted island for the whole day, a bit of shopping, great restaurants, houses or resorts right on the beach and a bit of nitelife.

Try these websites www.coconutelegraph.com and www.briland.com for info.

Have a GREAT TIME.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:08 PM

Have you looked at Great Guana Cay in the Abacos. We have been going there every year since 1998. There is a beautiful resort called Dolphin Beach Resort right on a 7 mile beach that you will have to yourself most of the time. Good snorkeling, very secluded but excellent food. You can rent a golf cart and go all over the island. There are a few small shops but no cars, phones or TVs. There is another resort called Guana Beach Resort that just reopened and alot of homes and cottages for rent. Look up oii.net. It has all the information. Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to email.