Just Got Back - Cat Island, Bahamas, Revisited

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from a return trip to Cat Island in the Out Islands of the Bahamas. As amazing as my trip was last year, this one was even better. I've posted a full report in the General Caribbean Forum of www.traveltalkonline.com -- the full address is below:

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/foru...86&fpart=1
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 12:35 PM

Really nice report. thank-you. Brought back memeories of the abacos where we spent a lot of time trying to discover empty unmarked beaches (especially on guana cay). Have you been to Long island? Can you give a comparision of the two in terms of beaches, vegetation, scenic aspect etc? I understand from reading reports etc that Long island has better accomodations. Curious for future trips to the out islands. thanks
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

mnag,
I haven't been to Long Island. It was on our short list when we decided to go to Cat Island, and I can't put my finger on why I chose one over the other (probably the thatched roof cottages at Fernandez Bay Village -- I'm a sucker for thatch!). I imagine there are many similarities between Cat and Long Islands, and your visit to the Abacos are a good indicator of what sort of vegetation and natural scenery you might expect.

For whatever it's worth, Cat Island has significantly more groundwater than any of the other Bahamas, and is said to have the most fertile soil (and the most relatively green scenery) as a result. I've also heard that Long Island is somewhat hillier than Cat Island (although the highest point in the Bahamas is on Cat Island).

If you like the Out Islands, I suspect you will be happy with either. However, bear in mind that Cat Island and Eleuthera (and, I suspect, Long Island) are so lightly developed that they make the Abacos of today look congested. (It's all relative, of course.)
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Sunnyboy

I've been to both Long Island and Cat Island. I liked Long Island better. Cat Island was a bit too rustic and underdeveloped for my tastes. There were very few places to eat, only a handful of shops, the locals were not quite as friendly as on Long Island and in general I was put off by the general upkeep on the island (too many rusting car bodies strewn along the roads and in peoples front yards). Long Island, on the other hand, was more attractive with well kept houses, a variety of small villages to explore and, of coursse, miles and miles of beautiful beaches with nary a sole around. After 3 days on Cat Island I couldn't wait to leave - just the opposite on Long Island, would have stayed a week or two longer if I could.

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 05:47 AM

Thank you Callaloo and Sunnyboy for your responses.