Search

Green Island

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 08:17 AM
cr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Green Island

I am planning a trip to Australia in May and I was planning on visiting Green Island as part of the trip. Any comments on Green Island? Is it nice? Should I pick another island instead? I'm just looking to relax and do some snokelling.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 12:17 PM

Hi <BR><BR>Yes pick another island. Green Island is a day-trippers island and is very, very small - great for a day but I wouldn't want to stay there.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 10:37 AM

Check out the previous post<BR>&quot;Hayman Island or Green Island? &quot;<BR>Should answer your questions<BR><BR>Muck<BR>
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 11:57 AM

Sorry, I just can't stand it when people say not to go somewhere without even having been there. Picking one of the islands really depends on what you are looking for - Green Island is incredibly beautiful and inexpensive. It is a national park so you are allowed to not only feed the fish everynight but also swim with them as well when they are being feed. There is a great croc exhibit with the world's largest living crocodile on display, great nature trails and a 45 minute boat trip to the outer reef. The hotel is small and well appointed - luxury, asbosultly not - but very, very nice. The big downside is the daytrippers - but most of the islands have the same problem including luxury ones - like Dunk Island. Places like Lizard and Hayman are great if you have the money and want to spend it, you should also decide what you want to do there - Green Island has great snorkling because it is coral - Hayman is only soso. They only time we saw the day trippers was at lunch. They are gone by dinner (the restaurant is a little slow but the food was good). We would go to the secluded side of the island and we never saw anyone - it was definitely worth the price we paid...good luck with your decision
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Sam1<BR>If you are suggesting that I have not been to Green Island and am suggesting that I am talking through my hat then I have to tell you that I have been to Green Island about 10 times - the last time was about 3 years ago and unless the island has doubled in size, stopped taking day trippers +++, ripping off the public when it comes to food and drinks then so be it. It is a nice place for a day trip because it is cheap to get to and you can snorkle around, play with the marine creatures and do you own thing for little cost, but as far as relaxing, tropical island with walks etc it just dips out big time.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 04:55 AM

Hey Sam,<BR>Liz has obviously been there, as have I.<BR>I totally agree with her, it is a reasonably ok daytripper island but just ok.<BR>Imagine staying there and paying good money to do so!<BR>The impression that tourists get especially those from my part of the world (UK) is that Green is an exclusive island small in size and subsequently not attracting too many visitors because all those there, are staying there.Ideal peaceful location.<BR>But No ! When the daytrippers arrive and I am sorry to say I was one of them it gets very busy.<BR>Sure they all go home at night but it surely spoils the tranquility of the otherwise beautiful place.<BR>However different people enjoy different things and it is obviously what you like.<BR>But I am sorry to say it was not really for me.<BR>I am going to Oz again in Dec and Green Isalnd will not be on the itinary.<BR><BR>Muck<BR>
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 04:58 AM

Our stay on Green Island was the only disappointment of a 3 week Australia/New Zealand trip. <BR><BR>Unless you are just going to Green for a day trip, listen to what is being said, or you will only have yourself to blame.<BR> <BR>I only wish I had seen the info such as posted in the Hayman/Green Island Post.<BR><BR>As for the Crocodile exhibit....it looked old, shabby and amateurish.<BR>The croc farms elsewhere ..such as Hartley's, are far superior.<BR><BR>http://www.cairns.au.com/cgi-bin/search/frames.cgi?ID=40&amp;title=Hartley's%20Creek%20Cro codile%20Farm<BR>