Search

Hayman Island or Green Island?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 01:59 PM
cr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hayman Island or Green Island?

I was originally going to spend a few days on Green Island but someone said that it was a day-tripper island. Is Hayman a better choice? I would like to stay at a nice island that isn't too expensive.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't been to either, but have heard that Green Is is very small and yes, full of day trippers. Hayman is quite expensive. You could try Hamilton Is or South Molle in the Whitsundays, there are other islands in that area too, Long Island, Daydream, etc. All would be cheaper than Hayman. The big advantage of Hamilton is they have an airport on the island so that can save time, rather than getting ferries etc. <BR>Kay
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 06:12 AM

My wife and I stayed at GReen Island because we got a &quot;good deal&quot;. It was a mistake.<BR><BR>During the day the island is inundated with daytrippers and feels more like a theme park. Food prices on this island are high and choices limited...again catering to day trippers.<BR><BR>The hotel is quiet nice and well appointed and the food there is quite good. However, the hotel seemed to be about 90% Japanese( mostly honeymooners). One benefit, fabulous smoked salmon.<BR><BR> I heard that the island is owned by a Japanese tour company.<BR>It is weird to be in Hawaaii and not be able to commmunicate with the vast majority of the guests.<BR><BR>At night, the day trippers go home and the island becomes very quiet....but with not much to do...just dinner at the hotel and outdoor walks.<BR><BR>If I had it to do over again, I would spend the extra money and go to Haymen.<BR><BR>PS. I think that I got the &quot;great deal&quot; becuase they wanted to encourage more non Japanese guests.
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 01:55 AM

I have been to both on many occasions. There is no comparison what so ever. <BR>None. One is for thousands of tourists.<BR>And one is for those wanting a very special experience. However if you are looking for very very high quality reef, neither of those Islands have it.<BR>There are many people out there with familys who can afford only to have a day at Green. Its cheap and its part of the reef. Lots of locals from Port Douglas and Cairns go there because it costs 100 dollars for the day for the family. Others can afford a couple of Grand a night to stay at Hayman and then pay more money to book on a boat to the reef. Its horses for courses really.<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 05:30 AM

Hi cr,<BR>I have to agree with the Green Island advice, We were really disapointed with the lack of 'exclusiveness', we were part of the hundreds of day visitors that descent upon the island, and although facilities were good on the island I remember thinking and saying at the time that &quot;Imaging spending all that money to stay here and all these daytrippers arrive&quot; so its certainly something to consider.<BR>The reef was poor really just white and the best part of the reef (outer reef)was only available on another tour...more cost.<BR>Just for snorkelling it was ok and safe for the children but I guess Green Island is &quot; abused&quot; so other areas of the reef are left alone.<BR>And yes it was full of Japanese tourists who had paid a lot of money to stay on this not so exclusive island. I have not been to the Hayman Islands but I imagine they couldn't be more 'tacky' than Green Island.<BR>Of course this is just my humble opinion, check out what others say too.<BR>Whatever you decide ...have fun<BR><BR>Muck<BR>
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 03:43 PM

I agree with the naysayers about Green Island. I went 2 years ago with my son and it was one of the &quot;lowlights&quot; of our wonderful trip. Try a different island---it was a real disappointment! Dick's reply is totally on the mark.