Green Island or Dunk Island?

Aug 13th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Greg

Green Island or Dunk Island?

We are planning a trip for June 2003. If anyone can offer some advice on the merits of these two islands, please help! Any inofrmation or comparions would be helpful. Thanks.

Aug 13th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Liz

Dunk wins hands down from those 2 but if its for accommodation then neither of those 2.

Aug 13th, 2002, 10:36 PM
john

Greg,
They are quite different.
Green is a small coral cay with the reputation of being owned (and overun) by the japanese who flock out of their cairns hotels each day for the short run to Green.
However it is close to cairns..you can walk off the beach and snorkel etc etc

Although not big Dunk is larger with a hill and rainforest.It is more of a resort.It is a continental island with an excellent sand spit.It is about a mile off mission beach.You can do a trip out to the reef.
Personally i prefer Dunk

Aug 19th, 2002, 10:10 PM
Sue

Green Island was a huge disappointment for me, go somewhere else. Mission beach, Port Douglas, Atherton Tablelands. A holiday in Cairns is superb, but don't bother with Green Island.

Aug 20th, 2002, 03:55 AM
Dick

We spent two nights on Green Island and it was our only mistake.

During the day, the grounds are overrun with daytrippers...like a mini theme park.

The hotel property itself is very nice and the food was superb. But it was 95% occupied by Japanese including a lot of honeymooners.I understood, after the fact, why we got such a fabulous deal.

I've come to find out that it is owned by a Japanese company.

I would not reccomend Green Island. I should have been smarter and just paid more for a more suitable place.

Aug 26th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Another Naysayer

There are many islands but these are the closest to shore and thus awful- the snorkelling was horrible- the coral was dead- the waters constantly stirred up by speed boats and sea planes that would have mowed us down...our day trip to the GBR was incredible- this was a miss...

Aug 26th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Lucy

Hi Greg, if you are looking to actually stay on an island for a few days than I would reccomend one in the Whitsundays - plenty of choice there. Or if your budget stretches a long way consider Lizard. If you are after a day trip from Cairns than perhaps a boat trip out to one of the reefs would be a better bet

Aug 28th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Sarah

My husband and I and our two children (12 and 16) just returned a week ago from Australia. I did plenty of research and this web site was a huge help...so now I'm putting in my two cents. We were in Port Douglas (absolutely great!), Cairns (touristy! but we had to be there on business), Dunk Island and then Sydney. We had a wonderful and memorable trip! We didn't go to green island, but I can imagine, after being to Cairns, that your other responses are right on. We liked Dunk. It was not extremely luxurious, but it was comfortable...and the island was beautiful. We did everything...if you want to DO things it's great. We used the kayaks and catamarans, we went horseback riding and did the nature walks and archery etc. etc. We were rarely in our room. The great barrier reef trip we arranged from the island on The Hayley's Comet was an adventure we'll never forget. Things are comfy on Dunk, all different types of people were there...and from many different countries. The staff was very helpful and the food and Australian wine was great. We could hear the waves at night and exotic birds occasionally screeching in the rain forest...Dunk is the best of the two. Try Lizard if you want more luxury. Hope this helps!