Search

Beaches at Sandy Lane

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beaches at Sandy Lane

For those who have visited Sandy Lane, I am interested in a review of the beaches. How long, consistency of the sand, how deep, color, level of privacy/seclusion, how is entry way into the ocean, etc, etc. I have been spoiled by the beaches of Turks and Anguilla and am trying to assess how big the step down will be at Sandy Lane.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Barbados is a really interesting island with a lot of history, character, lovely people, sightseeing, restaurants, and a variety of beaches, many not very big. The beach at Sandy Lane is one of the best on the island. There are trees at the edge of the beach for shade. Most people on the beach will be from the hotel, even though all beaches are public. The beach is wide enough to never be crowded. Sand was formed from coral, and is soft and fine, with a slight pink tinge from the coral. Water is mostly calm, mostly clear, with a gradual dropoff. To the south, you can walk around a little point, then walk the whole length of Payne's Bay beach, a pretty good distance. There is a bit of an intimacy factor not seen on Anguilla or T&C beaches. This is a wonderful island, and Sandy Lane is the most upscale hotel.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:48 PM

PsychedDiva: I know what you are trying to ask. (I've kept up with you!) Sandy Lane is a stunning resort. Probably the most upscale in the Caribbean. (Unless you count Musha Cay and Branson's island in BVI's) Barbados is pretty, it's HUGE compared to Anguilla and Turks.
The beaches are pretty, I've been to alot of them there, except for the one at Sandy Lane, so I'm speaking in general of Barbados:
they are not like Turks and Anguilla. Most are pretty small, about the length of the beach at Cap Jaluca. The water is turqouise, but not as crystal clear as Anguilla and Turks. Most beaches have waves, and some are very dramatic looking. There are lots more people in Barbados, and cruise ships stop there too. I don't know how well they control venders at Sandy Lane, but I can tell you at all other beaches, venders will approah you the whole time. (Not like Anguilla and Turks.) Some may even be hostile! BUT I'm sure Sandy Lane does something about it to protect it's guests. There is a gorgeous beach there called Bottom Bay. There are some cliffs, and the beach below is covered with Palm Trees. All the postcards and brochures feature this beach to promote Barbados. There are waves there. No facilities either, so bring drinks and food with you if you explore. Crane Beach is very cool looking from the Crane resort. Once again, lots of waves. and many steps from resort to beach. MANY.
I wouldn't call it a stepdown, just different. It's hard to beat the beaches in Anguilla and Turks, BUT
to match, next you should try: Harbour Island Bahamas, and Exumas Bahamas.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Xkenx - Thankful. Very helpful.
Blamona - as usual, thanks for the insightful reply; you are always right on target . The Diva has considered Harbour Island and Exumas but has not yet identified a resort with the same type of seclusion, privacy and luxury that the Diva yearns. The FS seems too big, lacks some privacy/seclusion and may cater a little too much to families. However, suggestions would be welcomed.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 05:03 PM

Have you considered Pink Sands Resort in Harbour Island? Upscale yet laidback at the same time. All colorful villas scattered, with first class service, on a gorgeous, gorgeous beach. (Could be "diva" rated!) I really loved this place, it had a really good "vibe".
In Euxmas, check out www.februarypoint.com
It's more self catering, and not on a beach, BUT
The homes are first class all the way, and does have maid service and tennis club and pool. There are boats you can rent to explore, write them about tranfers to Stocking Island for the beach (definately Diva rated) and/or have a company like Starfish take you to different cays. They will even do like in Provo, drop you off food, drinks, chairs, cell phone, at either Crab Cay or Moriah Cay. Moriah Cay gets my highest Diva rating. Many cays like that with beaches to yourself. FebruaryPoint is more self catering, but the houses and owners are very upscale! (with laidback Caribbean charm of course!) I may even be able to dig up pictures if it interests you. (But I can't respond for a week, i'll be in Bahamas)
There is another beach Diva worthy in Exumas call Tropic of Cancer. It's in a neighborhood, and you'll have it all to yourself. About 3 miles of it. But it takes about 45 minutes by car to get to it. 8-(
If you are ever willing to trek farther than Caribbean, I give the highest Diva rating to Maldives. Especially Sonava fushi. (sorry about spelling.)
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:23 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not yet but Tiger Woods chose Sandy Lane as his location to marry for its privacy - although the beach is public as all beaches are...I am under the distinct impression from my dear friend who lives a very DIVA money life IN Barbados...that only the best is at Sandy Lane and privacy is an absolute prime goal!! I have sat outside the resort and been amazed at how peaceful it was....and the sand is lovely!