Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Boutique, luxury, romantic resort- stunning beach

Feb 10th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

My favorite island so far has been Anguilla. I loved the beach and water. We stayed at Cap Juluca. We are thinking of going back there for our honeymoon. We'd love to try something new, but haven't found anything so far that we think we'd like better.
What about Turks & Caicos? Any other island or resorts?

Thanks
Feb 10th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Turks and Caicos is a great place to go for a honeymoon if you love the beach and ocean. Of all the many nice hotels and condos in Providenciales, I think that the Point Grace Resort (http://www.pointgrace.com/) would be perfect for a honeymoon. It's on Grace Bay Beach which is a tremendous beach and in a part of the beach that's a bit removed from the properties on either side of it. The resort itself is very pretty and it has one of the island's best (and most expensive)restaurants, Grace's Cottage. Point Grace Resort is definitely an expensive place to stay but comparable in price to Cap Juluca.
Feb 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM

Personally I didn't like Providenciales as much as Anguilla and Cap Jaluca is hard to beat. Also, as you already know, Anguilla has some of the finest beaches in the entire Caribbean.

You might want to look at Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda. The resort is upscale like CJ and the island is more attractive than Anguilla. The island has lots of uncrowded beaches (admittedly smaller than ones on Anguilla) that have beautiful light golden sand lined with lots of palm trees and other natural vegetation. There's an abundance great off-beach snorkeling and even more sites accessible by boat. Your in close proximaty to numerous other islands and cays and there are several very good restaurants. You owe it to yourself to check it out.
Feb 10th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Anguilla would be hard to beat for what you're looking for, especially when coupled with the great restaurants there.

If you're more interested in staying resort-bound, take a look at The Beach House on Barbuda. The island itself doesn't offer much in the form of the usual tourist infrastructure, but the beach is uncomparable and the resort itself looks fab. Howard, a frequent poster here who also loves Anguilla, has done a trip report on his Beach House stay.

You might also consider a place like Parrot Cay, an upscale private island resort in the T&C chain. The Meridian Club, a private island resort on Pine Cay, offers the same fabulous beaches but in a more relaxed (read: no celebrity sightings) and rustic atmosphere.
Feb 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM

If you are interested in Virgin Gorda, I would highly recommend Biras Creek over Little Dix Bay. We are also Cap Juluca/Anguilla lovers and have been many times. I have to say that Biras Creek and Cap are a tie for us for favorite destination. We have been to many "upscale" resorts on different islands (inc LDB, which is larger and allows children and is not as private) and we really love the feel of Biras...private, exclusive, romantic...the beach at Biras is not as "perfect" as Cap's but you do get your own personal Boston Whaler to use and explore. There is a beautiful, stunning beach 10 minutes away. There is a beach shack serving fish sandwiches, lobster and cold drinks and palapas strung along the white sand. We were the only ones there most days. It was perfect! The cottages are 1 story and strung along the Atlantic..I am not kidding when I tell you the place is absolutely magical. Whenever we go back we find Biras just gets better...and yet stays the same. Virgin Gorda itself is so beautiful, it is lush, green and hilly and full of flowers.
Feb 10th, 2006, 03:08 PM

You might look into Pink Sands on Harbour Island www.islandoutpost.com or The Rock House www.rockhousebahamas.com

Feb 11th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, what a wonderful forum. You've pointed out a couple of resorts I've never heard of and can't wait to check out. I'll be sure to look at Howard's review.
Thank you again.
Feb 11th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Personally I like all the above mentioned for different reasons.

I like Provo (Turks and Caicos) as much as Anguilla. They tie in my book.
Restaurants better in Anguilla, beaches better in Provo. People nicer in Anguilla, excursions better in Provo. Snorkeling non existent in Anguilla, great in Provo. I think the water comes close, but is actually prettier in Provo, I love them both and go back to both whenever I can.

Harbour Island is also an excellent choice for a honeymoon. I stayed at Pink Sands Resort and took day trips to Eleuthera. The town there can't be beat for romantic! It's a gorgeous, gorgeous town. The beaches are used for model shoots all the time.

Brtish Virgin Islands are spectacular too, but completely different from Anguilla. They are very hilly and most beaches are in coves. the overall scenary is stunning. It does not have to long stretches like Anguilla or Provo.

I have not been to Barbuda.
Feb 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Blamona,
I love reading your posts on fodors and tripdadvisor. You are so detailed, helpful and informative in your responses. It seems like you have been to every Caribbean island. I aspire to do that as well. I fell in love with the Caribbean on cruise ships and now love going to each island. Thanks again for all your help.
Feb 12th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Check out the Spice Isle Resort in Grenada http://www.grenadaexplorer.com/spice/spiceframe.htm
All new thanks to Ivan, located on a beautiful beach.
Feb 12th, 2006, 05:19 PM

caribfan, thanks!
I have not been to all of them, but I'm trying. Another to look into is Exumas in Bahamas.

I will post my 2 month trip report on TC soon, I promise!
Feb 12th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Caribfan: First of all I agree with Annabel about Biras Creek. I am having trouble getting up the guts to go elsewhere knowing that I'll likely wish I were at Biras instead! I also agree that Harbour Island would be a great choice -- beach and water are stunning and it's got a ton of romantic charm. Regarding Little Dix Bay, I've been there only for lunch but my memory is of vast parking areas and paved paths and signage pointing to conference facilities--nothing like the remote, exotic feel we prefer.

But I'd love to know--what is it about Cap Juluca that's so great? I know the beach and water are spectacular, but what is the appeal of the resort itself? I stare at that website and really it looks like a ghastly strip mall. I know I'm missing something but I can't figure out what it is. Enlighten me!
Feb 13th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Pellsmith: Someone once described Cap Juluca to me as this: "other worldly". I think that is the best way to describe it. It is on, in my opinion, the nicest beach on Anguilla,(and I did vist a number or them). The beach is sheltered from the wind and completely secluded. The water is stunning and calm. The private boat picked us up and as we approached Cap, it was just after dark and the moorish white buildings seemed desolate, yet exotic. The whole place has a kind of African feel. The restaurant Pimms is beautiful and a true beachfront fine dining, intimate venue. The waves, practically lap at your feet, if you have a waterfront table. But, to be honest, the food didn't wow me. Others staying at the resort agreed with me. The people are so friendly and have such open spirits. The service is wonderful, but unobtrusive. It is wildly romantic. You can have a private dinner on the beach in front of your villa. You pull the beautiful louvered doors to open up onto your terrace and you are steps from the water. We stayed in a second floor luxury room, (one of the cheaper and it was beautiful. I liked it better than the Junior Suites). I wouldn't want to be on the ground floor. The bathroom shower, is like a garden shower, it opens to the outside to a private solarium. I could go on and on. It is more villa like, not hotel like. If you are looking for a pool, the pool is not worth mentioning- but I didn't want to leave the beach. Oh, the afternoon sorbets...There is no real lounge either, well I guess Kemia's is sort of. But you don't really congregate with other guests. It's the perfect romantic getaway. Not for famillies or groups. Okay, I think I've gone on and on here...
Feb 13th, 2006, 04:54 PM

I could go on about Cap Juluca also. It is just wonderful. Every room has a magnificent view of St. Martin and the tranquil saphire water. Anguilla in itself is a true gem of an island. We always rent a car and explore, not just beaches but restaurants! To limit yourself to just dining at Cap would be missing out on the fun of Anguilla. The people are wonderful, the beaches beautiful...driving around the island is soooo much fun. But back to Cap...every villa has 6 rooms and 1 small kitchen. Every morning breakfast is served on your verandah at the time you wish. No tv, no radio, just brilliant blue and white sugar sand. The beach is full service, cold water, cold towels scented with herbs, fresh towels and bar service. There are floaties to use as well. The water is clear and warm. We always stay in a Jr. Suite on the ground floor. It has a huge huge double tub, a shower and an outdide walled garden area. There is also large counter with double sinks. I like being on the ground floor because it is literally 22 steps to the sand (I counted) and the doors open all the way so it is like having your own personal beach cottage. My husband and I are always in and out...on the beach...in the car...at Shoal Bay...there is just so much to do and it is all relaxation.
Feb 13th, 2006, 05:05 PM

I personally would go to T&C for 5-6 days rather than 7 in St. Martin. The waters in T&C alive for snorkelers and divers and good choice of restaurants at prices that don't "break-the-bank"
Sights somewhat better in St. Martin but that is a days woth of sightseeing at best, in my opinion.
Feb 13th, 2006, 07:27 PM

pellsmith - I'll enlighten you.

I've only been to a few islands in the Caribbean (PR,BVI,BWI,USVI) but all over Europe and Asia. It baffles me what people think is luxurious. I'll say Cap Juluca was very good. Would I go back? Tough decision.

I thought the beach was spectacular but I cannot rave about the rooms or the service or the cleanliness. I'm not bashing the resort but I find it funny what people 'rave' about. Oh the beach is x amt of steps. What does that truly give you? Locaton was great - I'll admit. But the bird droppings on the terrace of the turtle doves in the mornings that would be there when I came home from the beach wasn't as 'wonderful'. The constant scraping of the metal chairs of the couple below me was not 'lovely'. The brown water that came out of the tap when I went to fill my 2 person tub was gross. Not to mention the flourscent lighting that was so dated.

caribfan - what's African about Cap Juluca? Haven travelled through Africa and looking at the 'mosque' style resort - that's a stretch. Eating at Kemia was hardly Moroccan. It was more of pan-Asian tapas.

Ok. So now I've told you some of the negative. There's too much positive that I feel it needs to be neutralized. Especially for $800 night. I could stay at the Ritz for that in Europe. And trust me - if it was warm in December like it is in the Caribbean, I would do just that.
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

newyorkergal:

Everyone is different and has a right to their opinion. I respect your view.

Who you are with, the weather, the room, the people staying next door, your impact your trip. I happen to love being steps from the water. If I had muddy water coming out of my taps and scraping chairs below, I would not enjoy it either.

I too have been lucky to stay at some 5 star resorts in different parts of the world. Four Seasons, Ritz etc. They are beautiful hotels, but hardly intimate.

I have been to parts of Africa as well, the designer at Cap was going for an "African" feel when he made over some of the rooms. When you were there? Perhaps, before the the refurbishment?

If you re-read my post, I didn't refer to Kemia's as Moroccan. I said the "whole place has an African feel", not the food.

I did mention, that I did not love the food and that the pool was not worth mentioning and that there was no lounge. So I did balance the negative with the positive.

I agree with the other posters that you must dine around Anguilla, not stay at the resort.

Also, to be fair, I was only there for a short stay, so a week with the lack of some of the ammenities might have changed my experience. But Cap will always hold a special place in my heart, as will Anguilla. I would go back again.

But, I am looking forward to trying Turks & Caicos. Any thoughts on that island, newyorkergal?
Feb 20th, 2006, 06:45 PM

Caribfan, I have not been to T&C yet. Waiting for the Amanyara to open! I was at Cap in December.