Need help planning a romantic trip!

Feb 6th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Need help planning a romantic trip!

Long story short, my fiance and I were going to spend 2 weeks in Hawaii for our honeymoon in June. He is in the military, however, and we have just had to cancel that trip since he will be leaving.

Now we are looking for a 5-7 night stay in the Caribbean for the end of May. I have done EXTENSIVE research on these boards - both before and after we thought we were going to HI. We are having the hardest time deciding where to go (and we are running out of time now!)

We are trying to keep the total trip cost @ or under $5500, and we will fly from DC.

Here's what we want:

1. Some place romantic - to me this means beautiful setting (not TOO developed!), not being bothered by people trying to braid my hair, having a place to get away from it all, having a drink while watching the sunset, being able to walk along the beach. We DEFINITELY want lodging that is on the beach (although we may only be able to afford the rooms that are farther back...)

2. Must have beautiful beach(es), and we want to be able to swim there!

3. We would like a place that is at least somewhat secluded. It doesn't have to be a private island or anything, but we would like to get away (it is our honeymoon, after all!)

4. Nice rooms. The room doesn't need to be fancy, but it should be clean and not worn down/"old" looking. We really don't want anything too "rustic". I realize that we are more likely to find "rustic" in the Caribbean, but I was wondering what you all might come up with!

5. Good service. Again, we don't need to be completely pampered, but we do want to feel we are being taken care of.

6. Some activities - i.e. - snorkeling, hiking, getting a massage. Need not have all of these, but ideally we want a place with a little something to do, although bumming around at the beach is great too!

7. Decent food. We aren't too picky - our higher priority is the scenery/beach and accomodations.

Would love to hear any suggestions that might help narrow it down! Thanks so much!
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:29 AM

I would suggest either the BVI or Nevis.
We had a great time at the Nisbet Plantation (Nevis)in June of 2002. My sister is going to Biras Creek (Virgin Gorda)for her honeymoon -- sounds like a wonderful place, although the swimming beach is not right by the resort.
Feb 6th, 2004, 11:43 AM

My suggestion would be Anguilla.

I have stayed at Rendezvous Bay Hotel, and you can't get much closer to the beach than in one of their beachfront villas ;-) !

Others will recommend Frangipani and I'm sure you would be happy there as well.

There are so many options for dining in Anguilla and so many wonderful beaches to explore. I have been to Hawaii many times, but IMHO Anguilla is a much more romantic destination. I don't think you will feel disappointed.

Congratulations and good luck !
Feb 6th, 2004, 12:52 PM

I would suggest Anguilla also. We visited four years ago and fell in love with the island. We stayed at the Sonesta and the resort is right on the beach. The resort and the gardens are beautiful. The rooms are very spacious and nice with huge balconies. The beaches on the island are amazing. The water is calm, clear, and blue. It is not overpopulated (I think it was 10,000 people the last time I checked.) and I did not see any obvious signs of poverty. Also the island has awesome restaurants (a little on the expensive side) but the food and decor is well worth it. Another suggestion would be Virgin Gorda in the BVI. We did a day trip to VG from Tortolla and liked it also. But our favorite still remains Anguilla. Good luck.
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:16 PM

The Sonesta has been torn down.

But there are many accommodations, in all price ranges.
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:20 PM

First of all -- the last poster is going to be heartbroken when he finds out that Sonesta has been razed but he's right about Anguilla -- 33 glorious beaches (no vendors) & fabulous restaurants to boot. The resorts are right on the beach and (here it comes, Marion), Frangipani is perfect for you. 8 very spacious units, a world class beach. Check out www.frangipani.ai or www.news.ai to get links to all of the resorts & beaches.
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:29 PM

MaryD

I always try to give Frangipani the respect I know it deserves ! If you and Howard love it, I know I would too !!
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help! You all have me searching online right now. Keep the suggestions coming!
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:49 PM

My husband and I also loved Anguilla. It was one of the most relaxing vacations we've ever had. Beautiful beaches, good food and a few places to go at night that we found fun.
Feb 7th, 2004, 06:43 AM

We vacationed in Tortola British Virgin Islands last December and we had a great time.
We stayed at the Sugar Mill Hotel which offers packages--information online. Secluded with an excellent award winning restaurant and gorgeous views. Small beach with jetty but good for swimming. T.V.'s only in Plantation Suites and Villas.
Rented a jeep to drive to Cane Garden Bay (reminded us of Hawaii) with watersports, restaurants (Myett's great) and very good swimming conditions. The views on the island are unbelievably beautiful but be prepared to drive on mountainous roads with steep hills.
Also toured the villas at Fort Recovery another nice property with a larger beach and boat ride offered to Norman Island. The Manager, Pam, was very friendly. Information online.
West End of Tortola is the best area to stay in.
Easy to get to other islands like Jost Van Dyke by water taxi.
Can't get much more romantic than this.
You can take American A/L to San Juan and another very short flight to Tortola Beef Island or you can fly to St. Thomas direct and take a 45 min. ferry to Tortola (Soper's Hole Marina West End). Ride to West End Tortola is about 40 mins.
Your rental jeep can be reserved to be available when you arrive or for the next day.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Feb 7th, 2004, 08:40 AM

I love lots of the suggestions of the posters, but to add another island - check out St. Lucia. My husband and I have been to Anse Chastanet twice, and we love it. It meets every one of your criteria. The part of the island on which it is located is very scenic and more remote - and the resort itself feels very remote b/c it is 2 miles off the closest road. You have a private beach, with terrific snorkeling right offshore, and the resort has a great dive center so there are lots of scheduled scuba and snorkeling trips scheduled. Other hotels near Anse Chastenet which also merit a look are Ladera and the Jalousie Hilton. Finally, not to push St. Lucia too much, but I have read nice things about another resort on the island called Ti Kaye. We too live in DC and it is not a bad flight to St. Lucia, although it takes another hour to get to Anse Chastanet, Ladera and Hilton b/c they are on the other side of the island from the main airport - but it is so worth it to be on the southwest side of the island, with views of the magnificent Pitons!