Search

Cap Juluca Update

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cap Juluca Update

We're currently at Cap Juluca in Anguilla, and here's one person's opinion on its status as of June 2003 (with comparisons to other similar places in Caribbean, Hawaii, Australia, etc):

Pros:
--Beach: just about the best beach you'll find anywhere. I've not found a better beach for sand and water quality. White/powdery sand (which still stays cool in the summer sun for some reason), great aesthetics (nice half mile crescent lined with palm trees and bright white villas). Turks/Caicos are the only other beaches with same quality of sand and water IMO. Beach villas are spread out so there is zero crowding even if everyone is out. You can barely recognize people at the next villa over.
Also, wind is constant, so even in June you don't sweat laying out on the chaises. Not annoying wind like Aruba, just enough to keep you cool but not chilly.
It's an extremely pleasant mix of sun, sand and perfectly comfortable sun/wind.
Also the views of the mountains of St. Martin/Maarten 5 miles across the water are a nice plus, especially at night with their twinkling lights.
--Water: is light and turquoise blue, much more brilliant than Hawaii or Oz or France, etc. Water is also warm compared to ocean beaches. Very clean, clear. Waves are mild to moderate and constant. Even somewhat loud at night (which I find nicely soothing).
--Food: is the other big A-plus at CJ. It's outstanding. Expensive, but not moreso than other nice Caribbean destinations in same class. Entrees at Pimm's (which is on a coral reef with tables overlooking water's edge (people feed the fish from their tables)) are between $24 (pastas) to $40 (seafoods like lobster) with most fish from $32-38. Outstanding desserts. George's is fine as well for casual food. Haven't eaten at Kemia (not a tapas fan).
--Peace and quiet: this is an outstanding place to relax and be alone or with an SO or friends. Very quiet, nice breezes, spread out, uncluttered, no

Mixed Pros/Cons:
--Rooms: nice size, both suites and standard rooms are spacious with very large bathrooms, comfortable beds, large showers with excellent water pressure, nice lanais with chaise lounges, walk right out onto beach from room.
**I'll be the first to admit I'm picky about hotel quality (very picky), but CJ is not in the upper echelon of hotels in the world for room quality. Little things drag it down, like paint peeling off of bathroom fixtures, sheet quality OK but not great, pillows which are all one style and not especially cushy, etc.
Compared to places like most(but not al) Four Seasons, Ocean Club Paradise Island, and Sandy Lane, Cap Juluca is a step behind in luxury accommodations.
--Service: nice enough, but not what I'm used to at very well run resorts. Staff seem bored and distant. They'll do what you ask, but not particularly happy about life, it seems. Restaurant waitstaff are the exception. All upbeat and pleasant.

Cons:
--Grounds: plantings, grass, flowers and such are reasonably well maintained but don't match those at many nice Caribbean resorts. Partly due to Anguilla's arid climate, I realize. But other clues are the hotel's roads which are in very poor repair. General appearance does not get a top priority spot in the resort's budget.
--Anguilla is not a pretty island, which everyone knows (I assume) before they come here. Roads are mostly poor. While there is a high level of employment, there are still shanties aplenty and the people aren't as friendly as some other places in the Caribbean. Not unfriendly, just not overly happy about life. One local told me that crime is beginning to be a minor problem as the island's population grows.

Any specific questions I'll be happy to answer before we leave (off to Jumby Bay next week).
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 11:23 AM

Now you are doing my trip, CJ-Jumby run!
The two spots are entirely different!
Intersesting update, but I would not call the houses shantys, they are just
Anguillian! Hope you get to dine in some of the other spots! BTW-the service at Jumby exceeds CJ, especially
Genny, Adelza and all!
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 12:00 PM

Excellent trip report. I've not been to Cap Juluca or Jumby Bay, but these are two places that are high on my list to visit. Please give a detailed trip report from Jumby Bay to compare the two resorts. Also, have you visited Caneel Bay on St. John? Caneel is the most upscale resort I have been to, and I would like to know how it compares to Cap and Jumby. Thanks!
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Thank you for taking the time from your vacation in one of my favorite vacation destinations - I love reading about it.......I can't wait to read your Jumby report. Have a wonderful time
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Also, for comparison, we've stoppped by Malliouhana, CoveCastles and CuisinArt while here. Only saw the rooms at CuisinaArt, but the externals are as follows:
Malli: like "old Anguilla". Reminds me of how Kapalua Bay resort compares to the newer resorts on Maui. It's older (the original luxury resort on Anguilla) and that yields a certain type of character which is nice. But it also shows its age. Biggest negative is the lack of beach access. We wlaked to the beaches on each side of the cliff which most of the resort perches on. The beaches are certainly nice, but not nearly as nice as CuisinArt, CoveCastles and Cap Juluca beaches. If you're going to Anguilla, the restaurants, peace, and beaches are the draws. Malli is missing the great beach piece of the puzzle.
CuisinArt: best public areas of the 4 resorts. Very nicely manicured grounds with quite a bit of pretty green grass (some of the only manicured grass on the island). Prettiest pools on the island. Nice outdoor restaurants/bars. Beach is very nice as well, and only drawback (minor) is that it's shared with some condos and homes on both ends, and it is kind of shaggy in places. Rooms are a bit more stark than CJ's, but the place gets points for being newer and more fresh. I can see why some people prefer CA over CJ, but there's no question that CJ's beach is better and that it's more private. Another major point, none of CA's rooms are right on the beach, while all of CJ's rooms front the beach.
CoveCastles: this place gave me the creeps. I'd researched it previously and it seemed a little to quiet somehow. That impression was an underestimate. On a beautiful Friday afternoon the beach was totally deserted. Not a soul in sight. And the villas look like big upside down J's, rather eerie and surreal. Beach is very pretty, second best on the island after CJ's, and obviously very private feeling. To get to CC you must travel quite a distance down what is now a dirt road. And at the end of the resort complex on the beach there are a couple unfinished villas (looks like they've been unfinished for quite awhile) which makes the place look run down. A very mixed bag.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

As for Caneel, stayed there last in 1993 (quite awhile ago). Not my style at all. I'm a lover of luxury hotels and that's not what Caneel's about. Caneel is all about great beaches, peace and quiet. The rooms are rather rustic for my taste, and while some love that "get away from it all" feel that this rusticity provides, I still like pampering and the best of everything in accommodations. CB rates very low on this list in my travel experience.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 08:17 PM

thanks for your trip report-----I've never been to Anguilla, but have read much on the different resorts you mentioned. How was the food at Cuisinart or didn't you get to eat there?
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 04:17 AM

Wish I was there! Love reading your impressions! I love the traquility of Covecastles empty beach, have not stayed there, no a/c is a factor for me. The new villa at the end of the complex is being built by theSeagrams. Altamer also has a new villa under construction. All designed by Myron Goldfinger, a bit ugly to me too!

You made a comment about CuisinArt's rooms not being on the beach, you probably meant not all rooms are beachfront, as some are above the main building set back from Rendezvous Bay.

Enjoy your trip, I enjoy reading your updates! Looking forward to your impressions of Jumby Bay.