Spring Break in Negril!!!

Feb 23rd, 2003, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Spring Break in Negril!!!

I'm going to Negril for Spring with a friend and we were looking for any advice on the best clubs, excursions, restaurants, etc. Please help us out with this. Thanks!
Feb 25th, 2003, 06:55 PM

Three Dives for excellent cheap lobster dinners. Also Chicken Lavish for excellent cheap conch soup and the best fried chicken you'll ever have in your life. Both of these places are in the West End ( cliff side). For drinks and dinner, try LTU, ROckhouse, Xtabi and Pickled parrot. Great reggae club on the beach: ALFRED's. Have fun!
Feb 27th, 2003, 05:59 PM

I am assuming that students are on a budget so on the west end in addition to 3 dives--consider choices and T J'S--both are around the Samsara Hotel.
On the beach the best prices we have found are at Norms which is one block west of Legends resort.
Also keep an eye out for the guy with a bike and an aluminum box selling Patty pies for $1--very tasty --but get the meat not the veggie.
Another guy sells co co bread which tastes like grandmas home made buns--they are smothered in butter and very good.
We just left Negril on the 24th--everyone was raising prices getting ready to fleece the gullible.
Better and cheaper than Alfreds is Roots Bamboo.
We have done a home grown brochure on Negril based on 6 weeks there. would forward to you if you e mail us at
[email protected]
Mar 4th, 2003, 03:11 PM

If you have not left yet, try Sun Beach for red stripe all day and night for 50J. I was just there for three weeks and didn't find it cheaper anywhere else. Go snorkaling at Joseph's cave. Mayfield falls is fun also. If you are brave, go on a guided scooter trip.
Mar 5th, 2003, 11:59 AM

I second the Mayfield Falls recommendation, it's only an hour awawy and really special...especially for physically fit folks who enjoy a little hiking, climbing, swimming. By fit I don't mean athletic, just that the very old, very young or those with a health issue may not be able to do it.

Re: the guided scooter trip - only do this with someone from your hotel or the rental place or someone you know and trust...there is a scam at the gas station in town where guys will offer to take you on a guided scooter trip (usually they mention Roaring River as the destination) and wind up taking you to a place where you are expected to pay lots of $$ to "guides" there...and then you're asked for $$ for the scooter "guides" as well. I've heard one story of those guys robbing the tourists they are "guiding". And be careful on those scooters, JA drivers are very aggressive and potholes are big and numerous.

We do rent motorcycles ourselves and just head out on our own and people we pass are always helpful with directions and such - the only negative experiences I have ever heard is the above scam at the gas station. In the ocuntry, people are kind in our experience....everyone waved at us as we passed, I started to call our trips "wave rides".

$50J red stripes (or sometimes they're $60 now since the JA$ is heading down to 55 to 1 US...the idea is a dollar beer, more or less) are available at Irie Vibes cyber cafe, the bar at Beach House Villas, Irie Village at Rondel VIllage, and I'm sure many more places.

3 Dives is a WONDERFUL place to eat and hang out and snorkel or jump (high cliff though), see: www.negril.com/3dives - tell a taxi if you take one that it's just past Xtabi if they don't know it.

The Boat Bar on the beach is another friendly place with good prices...right on the water next to Rondel Village.

Have fun!
Mar 6th, 2003, 08:09 AM
mm

Roots Bamboo is a good place to stay. YOu can stuff extra people into the cabins by brining in extra beds.

They have live reggae two or three nights a week.

The best jerk is down the beach at De Bus. De Bus also has live music.