HARBOUR ISLAND RENTAL - LAZY DAYS II OR BULLEN'S COTTAGE

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was wondering if anyone knows where these 2 places are located. Ocean or bay, how far from town and how are apart from each other.
Thanks
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:53 AM

They actually can't be far from the ocean or each other, since the island is only half a mile wide and 3 miles long.

I don't know these houses, sorry there are quite a few for rental these days, and when there is a new owner the house has also been known to have a name change.

Do you have an address for either rental?

Also if you go to the www.briland.com site, you can find a map of the island, so you can get a better idea of just how quaint the island really is.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

I found out that Lazy Days is between Runaway HIll and Ocean View so I can see that on the map.

Bullens is somewhere down by "anthony corner"...do you know where that is?

thanks
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 10:44 PM

I'd pick the one between Runaway and Ocean View. That means is right on the beach. I think I know which house it is. It was part of another resort on island, but it is now a house that is rented out instead, and yes I think it is right next to Runaway Hill, which makes it easy for you to have dinner there.

It's also an easy walk from there to "downtown" which is called Dunsmore Town, and I smile as I write that. There are a few shops a grocery store, a couple of clothing stores, a pizza shop, a hardware store, the deli, liquor/wine store a couple of art galleries a straw stand or two...and not much more.

When are you planning on being there, and I can give you a few more ideas on the island.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

We are arriving April 30 or May 1 for a week. I am leaning toward Lazy Days but I am having a problem getting info from the owner on availability....no response to emails and when I spoke with her on the phone she said to send her an email and she would get back to me with dates. I have sent 3 emails and no response. I suspect we will have to go with BUllen's which we are renting through Island Realty.

I have done a lot of research and this sounds like a great place. We love just to veg out and relax. We are nite life people other than to catch a jazz band or local music when we travel. We love the beach, hiking, snorkeling and spicy foods. We plan on renting a car for a day and driving down through eleuthera. Please let me know what you think I should see or places we should go. We would like to go out to one of the Cays for the day.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:25 AM

Eleuthera is LONG 110 miles and you can't go faster than about 50mph, because the roads are not great. I have heard the bridge is open so you shouldn't have a problem getting to S. Eleuthera.

A couple of things if you are going, do it VERY early am, since you will be spending the whole day in the car to see anything. And make sure you are back at the ferry dock before sunset, because all the water taxis go off duty at sunset (found that one out the hard way one year). The waters are a bit shallow and it's not a great idea for the water taxis to do it in the dark.

There are several interesting settlements on the way down the island, like James Cistern, an old boat building community, Govenours Harbour (severely damaged by hurricanes the last few years, and all rebuillt) You might stop at the Cigatoo Inn there for lunch.

If you continue heading south, you may make Tarpun Bay, which has some well known artists living in the community, and there are a couple of good places for food right on the water. There is also the ocean hole not far from there, and the "Castle", which you can't miss, right on the road you will see it in the distance. It was built by a well known artist Lord McMillian Hughes, who passed away a few years ago. He built the building himself and it is pretty amazing. He had his art gallery in the building and he was a colorful local character. You also might want to stop and meet Mal Flanders, another wonderful artist. His gallery is also there, and his art is wonderful.

If you do make it to Tarpun Bay, it's a LONG drive back to the water taxi, so you might think about staying overnight there and head back next morning.

I can also recommend Mate&Jenny's restaurant in S. Palmetto Point, Maitlin makes the BEST conch pizza, it will be on your right as you head down Queen's Highway.

There are a few shops along the way to stop for souviners and food and there are some very interesting sites, like "Glass Window" - bridge.

Hope this helps a bit, have a GREAT time.

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 09:05 AM

Hi Denice,

I'm bringing back this thread, hoping that you will tell me a little more about your trip to Harbour Island.

I am trying to rent a house for the month of February and may have to split my time between two properties.

I'm trying to stay on the South end...beachfront.

I've had a reply from the owner of Gecko Hill.

I have inquiries into Parrot's Cottage and lots of inquiries to Island Realty...but Island Realty has not responded.

I'd appreciate any information about your trip !

Thanks !

Marion