Search

best in Eleuthra?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best in Eleuthra?

Hi- just wondering about favorite places to stay (really nice) on Eleuthra/ Have never been and thinking about a trip there. Thanks so much!!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Probably CocodiMama is the nicest on island, and second to that would probably be The Cove.

Eleuthera is very long 110 miles and there is only 1 road. To see much on island, you will have to rent a car.

Tarpun Bay is one of the nicest settlements on island, several well known artists have lived in that area and a must see, is The Castle built by Lord McMillan Hughes.

There are also a few homes for rent in the area, a couple of local restaurants and a tiny bit of shopping, mostly straw market type.

Eleuthera is VERY laid back, not much to do in the evenings, so if you are looking for a very relaxing vacation, the beaches of Eleuthera will WOW you.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:39 PM

sneaking in on this one. Wantsomesun -- you steered me well with Runaway Hill. Do you have any rec's for houses on Eleuthra? Loved what we saw of it on our day trip from Harbour Island.

(btw, what's the news on Runaway Hill? Did the hockey player buy it? Are Carol & Roger staying? We are ready to go back - wonderful place.)
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:55 PM

wantstogo, would you consider a villa? Here's one we rented, with a real working lighthouse. It is beachfront, Atlantic ocean side (choose carefully: ocean = rougher, breezier, great in the summer, sound (they sometimes call it Caribbean) = calm, but stiller, a bit hot in the summer compared to the oceanside). Both sides have snorkeling from the beach.

http://www.pinksandbeach.net/

If that is too much for your budget, I can recommend two others that cost less, Calypso and Finiterre. But the lighthouse villa had privacy and nicest amenities of the three.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:16 PM

You might get intouch with Island Realty on Harbour Island there are houses to rent on HI and Eleuthera and they would be able to give you LOTS of info.

I rented a house twice from Asa and Ethel Bethel in S. Palmetto Point and LOVED it there. I had my own beach, and a grocery store just a couple of block away. Also Mate&Jenny's is a short walk for a nite out. Matlin makes THE BEST conch pizza.

You might try the website www.eleu.net for more info on Eleuthera.

Runaway was indeed sold (sniff, sniff, sniff) and I have heard the new owner has raised the prices substantially, think I need to find a new place to go.

CocodiMama is wonderful and I plan on getting down there this year asap.

I have heard Carol and Roger have retired to Ft. Lauderdale, but are keeping some property on island so they can come back and forth, since it really has been their home for a long time.

Glad you had a great time on island, it really is a special place.

Also look into The Rock House (www.therockhousebahamas.com which is fairly new, and overlooks the harbour side of the island.

Lots of new things going on a few new stores and events.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:23 PM

It's been quite a few years, but we rented a house. Beaches were spectacular in their length, width and untamed beauty but there was quite a bit of cruise ship wash back- garbage and tar.
Delicious carib. lobster, conch and grouper purchased from fishermen and cooked ourselves.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all! will look int dall these. i checked out runaway hill and it looks good-but am thinking about the new ownership?? A villa might be great-not sure how many will be w/ us.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 05:47 AM

Check out Romora Bay on HI as well. They have all villas and a lovely pool area, GREAT food, and overlook the Harbour. The website is www.romorabay.com
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 07:15 AM

I second the Cocodimama suggestion. We were just there in March (thanks Wantsomesun for the recommendation!). It was perfect, beautiful beach, great rooms, nice people. Definitly the best on the island.