Need Exuma/Bahama Get-a-Way

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had the pleasure of visiting the Exumas by air last July flying from Harbour Island (by way of Eleuthra) to Staniel Cay for an aerial tour (and conch sandwich!) Now, we have the bug to stay on a beautiful beach, house preferred -- for the kitchen, but small hotel is fine, whaler for daily excursions, nice beach on the island a must -- would prefer it to be at the lodging location but will short drive is ok. We want the feel of a hidden destination with a bar in the evening (if we want) with sailors from around the world sharing stories. But we want to feel like we're the only ones on the island, too. Don't mind driving 10 minutes or so for groceries/bar/restaurants. Is there such a place?

We'll be flying AA or Continental from Dallas so it's an all-day affair for us. Limited to Governor's Harbour and Grand Exuma (I think?)to keep it to 2 stops. We are traveling over the 4th of July for about 10 days. Would like lodging to be no more than $3000. Also, saw Wantsomesun's posting about houses on Eleuthra which really sounds great as well. Don't have to stay in the same spot -- can break up to two places if travel time is short.

We are new to visiting that area and would appreciate any suggestions!
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:30 PM

There are lots of houses on Eleuthera that are for rent. S. Palmetto Point would be a good location, and there are a couple of restaurants in the area.

You have to have a car for Eleuthera, because everything is so spread out, the island is 110 miles long, and there are some spectacular beaches on both sides of the island.

For a nice place to stay you might look at CocodiMama, which is a small resort on the leeward side of the island, and a short drive from Govenours Harbour airport. AA is no longer flying into GH, I think. They stopped flying there a few months ago, but check with AA.

Bahamas Air flies from Nassau to GH, or you can take the Fast Ferry over, which stops at GH several times a week.

Here are a few websites you may find helpful.

www.eleu.net
www.cocodimama.com
www.myharbourisland.com

Island Realty on HI, also rents houses out on Eleuthera so you might check with them.

I rented a house from Asa and Ethel Bethel a few years ago, and they had several nice houses right on the beach. I rented a 2 bedroom/bath with a full kitchen, living room and sun porch about 20 yards from the water, and I didn't see another person on the beach the whole week I was there.

Mate&Jenny's restaurant is just a short walk from there and Maitlin makes the BEST conch pizza. It's a hang out for locals in the evening.
There's also a grocery store within walking distance as well.

Hope this helps, have a GREAT time.
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Wantsomesun. I've read your other posts and they've been helpful. We would like to stay on the north end so that we could go to HI if we want but we aren't familiar enough with Eleuthra to pick by websites. Would you recommend staying on north side or go midway to Palmetto? I assume that getting to HI from there would be at least 50 miles in addition to the boat over, is that about right? Any experience around Staniel Cay? I'll be searching for the Bethel rentals this evening.

Thanks.
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:16 PM

If you also want access to HI, then stay on N. Eleuthera and you might check with Island Realty on HI for rentals.

There is an adorable house on a small island, all alone, right off the coast of N. Eleuthera and a short ferry ride over to HI. Island Realty can certainly give you lots of ideas of houses available in the area. Actually I would recommend staying on HI instead of Eleuthera and if you want to see Eleuthera and Spanish Wells, take a day and rent a car to see the other islands.

The water taxis go off duty at sunset so make sure you are back at the ferry dock before then or you will have to find a place to stay on Eleuthera.

No I have not been to Staniel Cay, but I understand that it is beautiful there. All the outislands are laid back and welcoming.

There are homes on the south end of HI that might fit the bill perfectly and be close to or on the beach, and will seem a world away.

The Harbour Island Marina at the very end of the island will be the bar you are looking for, and the view of the ocean from there is spectacular. I tried to walk down there once, on a very hot day, and was amazed at how little development is on that part of the island. There is even a deserted airstrip.

Valentine's is the other marina on island, and there are some LARGE boats that come in to dock there. Not sure if they have rebuilt the bar there, a fire took it out a few years ago, they rebuilt and then along comes a hurricane. The resort is slated for some major development.

On Harbour Island the BEST conch, any way, is at Angela's Starfish Restaurant up the hill on Dunsmore St.

Have a great time and let me know if you have any other questions.
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:25 AM

In Exumas, Club Peace and Plenty. It's not on the beach, but is the hub for sailors and locals. They have a free water taxi to Stocking Island, which has stunning beaches, and they have a hamburger shack at Stocking. Also from town, on Sundays you can go to another part of stocking island for the party at the "Chat and Chill", also with all the locals. You can rent the car for the day and go to Tropic of Cancer Beach, about 1/2 hour, probably one of the best beaches in Bahamas. From Peace and Plenty, get a boat from Starfish, they will take you to different cays for the day. (Don't miss Moirah Cay!) And Captain Lewless has a day trip to Long Island, where Cape Santa Anna beach is one of the best in the world!! But book early, as to Captain Lewless fills before you get there!! Email Club Peace and Plenty, they can give you info. You can even go bonefishing, another must!
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Checking into P&P.

Old May 25th, 2005, 01:39 PM

take a look at www.getawaybahamas.com
it has a large selection of rentals on the islands
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:12 PM

Check into the Peace and Plenty, they have three properties available the Club Peace & Plenty, The Peace and Plenty Beach Inn and the Bone Fish Lodge. We went several years ago and were scheduled to stay at the Club in town but the Taxi took us to the Beach Inn instead.

After being at the Beach Inn for a day or two we were very happy the taxi made the mistake. The Island was absolutely fantastic and the people extremely friendly. As we walked to and from town if a car passed us it would stop and offer a ride to town or back to the Beach Inn.

The beaches we chilled on were beautiful and it was one of the most relaxing holidays we had taken. The Bone fish lodge was not open when we were there except for dinner, which was great.

Check them out at

http://www.peaceandplenty.com

We are trying to plan another trip to then soon.
Old May 29th, 2005, 08:08 PM

Take a look at www.capricornhousebahamas.com near Governors harbor. Gorgeous place, private and oceanfront. Also Heron Hill in Palmetto point, also oceanfront