Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Going to Jamaica for the first time want advice comments and tips please!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:47 AM
tomas

We are going to Jamaica for the first time in august on our honeymoon. We are staying at Sandals Royal Carribean for 10 days and are very excited. Plan to do as much as possible. any suggestions? has anyone stayed at the Sandals RC. What did you think? Where is the best nightlife and dancing. Thanks your input is appreciated

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 10:42 AM
shauna

I can't help you but we are also going on our honeymoon to the SRC and if you find any suggestions then let me know as well. We are really excited and are planning to do as much as possible. Any ideas you have send them my way!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:53 AM
carolyn

What part of Jamaica is Sandals?<BR><BR>For outdoor activities to take in the beauty of the country: a trip to Dunn's Falls (close to Ocho Rios) and walk up them, great experience. Or you can get rowed down the river (can't remember the name) on a raft. <BR><BR>Go cliff jumping off the cliffs in Negril... at the Pickled Parrot (great snorkeling) or the huge tourist trap Rick's Cafe. Take a sunset booze cruise.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Penney

It is a great resort. We loved it there. It is laid back enough that you can find quiet spots and be alone but yet there is always something going on somewhere! <BR><BR>If you want the nightlife, go over to Sandals MoBay - far more active.<BR><BR>Make reservations for the islands restaurant as soon as you get there - fills up fast. The Italian at MoBay is very good too.<BR><BR>Day trip to MArgaritaville is so much fun - take the booze cruise over. Going out to Ocho or Negril is about an hour and a half in opposite directions but Negril is worth seeing!

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Tomas

Thanks for all the info everyone it is appreciated. If you think of anything else be sure to let us know. thanks again.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 10:49 AM
jamaicajim

Lucky you! We've been to Sandals 6 times and SRC 5 of those, only managed 2 ten night trips though. Heading back there again next winter. We love the laid back relaxed atmosphere. Almost as laid back as Negril but without the 2 hour bus ride from hell.<BR><BR>Try the river rafting on the Martha Brae, Dunn's River Falls and the Rum Plantation tours. Martha Brae is more like a float down a wide, shallow stream, very relaxing! <BR><BR>I wouldn't pay for the shopping trip to MoBay. Take the shuttle to Sandals Inn and walk from there. Perfectly safe but don't wander around town after dark. <BR><BR>Ask for a room upgrade when you get there and you'll probably get one.<BR><BR>Take small gifts of perfume, hose or candy for the staff. They love it. Small toys for their children also. We usually tip DISCREETLY the day and night maids and the bartenders. They make very little and a few $$ is greatly appreciated.<BR><BR>Take lots of sunscreen as it is VERY expensive on site.<BR><BR>Any other questions email us at:<BR><BR>[email protected]

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Statia

It's been a few years since I was in Jamaica, but I second the Dunn's River Falls trip. We really loved it and it was a neat experience. Don't forget to bring your camera for that one.<BR><BR>We also did a nighttime activity called <BR>An Evening on the Great River This particular trip was an evening of Jamaican entertainment, buffet, drinks, etc., all at a location that we were rowed to down the Great River. We had a lot of fun that night and met a lot of people.<BR><BR>I haven't done the Martha Brae River tour (the one previously mentioned where you are rowed down the river in the daytime), but I hear it's neat, too.<BR><BR>We booked all excursions thru our hotel (Wyndham Rose Hall Resort), and I'm sure you can do the same at Sandals. <BR><BR>Congratulations and have fun!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 02:21 AM
tivertonhouse

Avoid higgler and tourist-crammed Dunn's River Falls and go to Mayfield Falls or YS Falls instead. The river rafting in Port Antonio on the Rio Grande is the only one worth taking.Hire a guide to take you to the less-touristed places on island:Mandeville, where there are major orchid growers shows in August,AngloJamaican culture and superb great houses;The South Coast;and Port Antonio. THE ROUGH GUIDE TO JAMAICA is your best pre-planning guide to island as well as RUM N REGGAE, a sarcastic but spot-on review of what to avoid<BR>

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 11:13 PM
Joe Mama

Dunn's Fall is a BIG ripoff. Save yourself the $28 bucks.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 04:04 AM
Tricia

I guess it depends what frame of mind you are in when going to Dunns River. I was on my honeymoon and we had a blast and payed $30bucks for the video of us going up also.<BR><BR>We though it was worth every penny a had a lot of fun.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Edward

Joe Mama<BR>We thought the climb up Dunn's River Falls was great fun, and by the way we did not pay $28. It was much cheaper, even with the tip to the guides. We would suggest it as a fun activity while in Jamaica.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Kim

Been to many of the Sandals resorts. Yes, we have been to the RC Sandals. we found it to be alittle to stuffy for us. that does not mean you will not like it. We like a very active resort and plenty of night life. We transfered to MB Sandals after 2 day at the RC.We loved MB, Negril. have been to quite a few Sandals we go every year.?'s feel free to email me.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:26 AM
xxx

Being that you be in mobay for 10 days, I'd get a round trip air from Mobay to Negril and spend a day at Sandals Negril. The flight is 15 minutes each way and well worth the $100 r/t fee. You'd be able to really enjoy the beach of Negril without the horrible drive. Sandals Negril is great!