Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon trip to Jamaica- Sandals resort in MBay- feedback?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiancee and I are considering a honeymoon (in early July) to Jamaica, we would like to stay at a Sandals resort and a friend recommended the ones in MBay because they are so close to the airport.

Because of the cost involved (we would like to spend < $1500), we can only stay for 3-4 nights and even though I've read a lot of great things about Negril, I just don't want to spend that extra travel time to get there, since we only have a short time overall.

I was looking on here for reviews/advice, and I think I've read every post about Jamaica that I can find, and haven't found much about the resorts in MBay- does anyone have any experience? We are looking for a relaxing time- we plan to spend most of our time on the beach, in the water, just laying around. Are we considering the right type/place of vacation for that......?

Thanks in advance...
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 03:20 AM
KVR

The Sandals resorts in Jamaica are not all created equal. We've been to 2 Sandals properties; Royal Bahamian and St. Lucia Grande and found both to be over priced and over rated. You can do so much better and spend less if you pick a different hotel. The only Sandals resort I would ever consuider in Jamaica is Dunns River in Ocho Rios and only if the price was deeply discounted. Instead look at the Couples resorts, Grand Lido or Sunset at the Palms in Negril.

MoBay is more of a party atmosphere and some hotels are close to the airport, so your going to get the airport noise. Negril is about 90 minutes away. We didn't think the bus trip was bad at all. It was a good overview of that part of Jamaica.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 03:53 AM

I second much of what KVR has to say. If you really want an AI, there are those that may provide a better experience than Sandals MoBay at a lower price, enabling you to stay longer and in a nicer location.

I personally like being close to airports because I love watching the planes as long as it's not too early in the morning, but it's moBay itself that I would strongly prefer not to stay.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 05:40 AM

I agree with the posters above. Mobay really doesn't have much to recommend it, other than the proximity to the airport.

Yes, the drive to Negril is about 1.5 hours, but it also gives you a chance to see some of the most beautiful countryside and coastline in Jamaica. If you prefer, you can also fly to Negril from Mobay. It's a very short flight.

With the money you want to spend, you can find a really nice place on the beach in Negril, plus eat out every night at one of the restaurants on the cliffs ( CHICKEN LAVISH, THREE DIVES, etc., all of which are CHEAP!!)

You'll experience more of the "real" Jamaica than you would staying in Mobay, and have a much better time, too. Have fun!
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 11:58 AM

We went to Negril in October. We stayed at the Riu Negril. It was great. It is an all inclusive resort, it will save you tons of money, Especially on your drinks, all the food, drinks, etc is free. You will love the place. The travel time is not bad. The scenary is great and it is jamaica..enjoy. If you want the real Jamaican experience stay in negril. write me back, if you need anymore details. Make sure to take your own cup, it will save time at the bar, Their cups are toooo small.lol
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 12:05 PM

We have stayed at four of the Sandals properties and we found Sandals MoBay to be a good place. I would have no problem recommending this property to you. The staff is truly amazing. The playmaker's are fun, the waiters take your plate and will make every attempt to get you a wonderful water view, the concierge is so sweet, and even the initial drive up to the resort had beautiful foliage. In all the years we've been going to the Caribbean, I have never found a better smell than the one at Sandals MoBay. We think MoBay is incredible as it truly is so rare to find a place where the staff seems so happy and that rubs off on the guests. You don't notice the planes after the first day and it is so nice to not make a longer drive. It is long enough to visit Dunn's River.
Old Dec 12th, 2008, 08:06 AM
KVR

Just wanted to add that we stayed at the RIU Tropical Bay and disliked it very much. We chose it due to price - cheap and you get what you pay for. We've been to many AI's in the Caribbean and Mexico and they had the worst food we've ever tasted except for the jerk bar-b-cue hut. The place was crawling with half naked people and many doing sexual acts in the ocean. We didn't chose the Hedisiom resort for a reason. I know it doesn't bother some people, but it bothered us especially since the hotel is billed as "family friendly". The reservation system for the ala carts restaurants was annoying. Who wants to stand in line for an hour on vacation to make reservations? It's difiantely, not a honeymoon type resort chain. Their was no A/C in our room, just a blower and a fan. I've been told that that's been upgraded since then, but don't know for a fact. Again, there are better hotels to stay at in Negril.