Notices

Where to stay on Jamaica - all inclusive

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay on Jamaica - all inclusive

My husband and I are planning a trip to an all inclusive resort on Jamaica and are looking for any input from people who've stayed at all-inclusive resorts they've liked (or disliked). We're especially interested in the Sandals resorts.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Uptown girls don't stay at Sandals. Jamaica Inn, Round Hill, Half Moon and Tryall might better suit you.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:18 PM
KVR

We stayed at the Sandals Royal Bahamain in the Bahamas and loved it, but it was very expensive compared to other AI's in different areas that we've been to. When we were planning our trip to Jamaica, we wanted to stay at a Sandals again, but we just relocated and bought a new house, so didn't want to spend the $$$$ this time. We were looking at Sandals Dunn's River in Ocho Rios. We chose the Wyndam Rose Hall due to their fabulous water park + didn't want to do the 2 hour drive to Ocho Rios. There are better more expensive resorts in Jamaica, but we just wanted something nice and the ability to go.

When are you going? We are going in May for DH's 50th irthday.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:20 AM

Been to Sandals Negril, MoBay, Ocho and Royal and I would suggest San Souci resort above them all. The staff are amazing, it offers a regular and C/O beach, great food, wonderful view from all the rooms and the spa services can't be beat. Nothing like a couples massage in a hut on the cliff looking out over the ocean. Been there twice and are already planning our 2005 return now and can hardly wait. Added plus, adults only.
Take care, Lisa S
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:20 AM

I recommend Couples Negril. It had great food and a lot of nice activities. The entertainment is good too.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:56 AM

We've stayed at Swept Away Negril 3 times and spent a couple of days biking down the strip in Negril to check out the other AIs there. We saw nothing that compared, in our opinion, but it's a matter of taste. Swept Away is a true getaway, extremely romantic and relaxing, and does NOT feel like a hotel, which all the other resorts did. And we love the rooms and huge verandahs at Swept Away -- very different from the Florentine-bureau, flowered-bedspead look of most other places.

S.A. also has superior gym & fitness facilities and an abundance of wonderful, healthy food - 3 restaurants plus numerous beach grills, veggie & juice bars, coffee bars, etc. The food at Grand Lido looked great and very similar to Swept Away, but their pool/gym facilities don't compare.

To me you can't beat the low-rise, quiet ambiance of Swept Away for a true getaway without the rah-rah atmosphere of Sandals. Also, Swept Away has couples of all ages, from 20s to 80s, which is part of its charm, and there's no pressure to do or join anything or be part of a party atmosphere even though there is an absolute abundance of activites if you want them, including a spa, yoga classes, massage classes, squash/tennis/racquetball coaches, diving lessons, you name it. If partying is more your style, you'd probably like Couples or Sandals or even Hedonism better.

We also heard good things about Sans Souci. We chatted with a couple at Swept Away who had stayed at Sans Souci and they said it was lovely but much more upscale -- dressing up for dinner, etc. We do enough of that all year and do NOT want to do it on our vacation! But again, that might be just what you're looking for.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 08:23 AM

We love Sandals Resort and have been to ever one except Antigue and the Grande in St. Lucia, so if your looking for info you can email me direct.(Kim) [email protected]
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:15 PM

Couples Swept Away--hands down. Try to get a beachfront (the older type without the tv's) with the huge verandas and fully stocked mini-frige.
I loved everything about Swept Away. I did not want to come home.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 09:28 AM

We have found he best bartenders - ever - at Sandals MoBay. I had a Hairy Ape there that was out of this world. The only thing they really lack are really good desserts. We like the molten chocolate like you get in Hawaii and they don't bake that sweet. Resort features included tennis, a renowed beach for it's size and huts and warm clear waters, a spa, a superb beach barbecue, snorkeling and many others. Some guests came in groups and they really seemed like they were having fun. It's in a perfect location in that it's close to the airport.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Another vote for Swept Away. It is beautiful, tropical and romantic with a gorgeous beach and terrific fitness complex.

I have stayed at Sandals Duuns River, Royal, Antigua, Negril but never again after finding Swept Away. There is no comparison.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 05:41 PM

we stayed at the Grand Lido Negril, and it was awesome.
We have stayed at a Sandals before in Antigua and the atmosphere is totally "campy" and kind of corney.
Grand Lido Negril was pretty high end. The people seemed a little more sophisticated. (not to sound snobbish).
The Bar was all top shelf and the food was surprisingly good. (Sandals did not have top shelf)
There is a clothing optional beach and a normal beach, both are beautiful and private.
You can be a social as you want or relax with a book.
The service was also exceptional for an All inclusive, we got to know several of the staff members by name...they were so much fun. They even bring you drinks and food to the beach and your room if you ask. (They say no tipping but we through them a couple dollars here and there) Sandals did not offer that although they claimed they did.
Also look into couples swept away and grand lido dunns river? I heard these places were great too. Hope this helps
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 08:24 AM

uptowngirl, another vote for Couples. You should check out their message board at www.couples.com with postings from people who have been to one of the 3 Couples resort (Negril, Ocho Rios, Swept Away) numerous times. I was originally looking at staying at Sandals, but changed my opinion after checking out reviews at tripadvisor regarding the two different companies. I am so glad that I chose Couples Negril.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 08:56 AM

I have stayed at Grand Lido and Swept Away 4 times each. While I agree that the overall experience at GLN is more upscale, I prefer CSA overall.