COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Negril, or Negril and MB?

Old Dec 9th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Negril, or Negril and MB?

My H and I are going to our friends' wedding in Jamaica in March. We will spend the first four nights at the Coral Cove Resort in Little Bay, Jamaica (near Negril) and then we are going to move to Rock House in Negril on our own. The first four nights aren't really negotiable, but the rest of our stay is our own honeymoon so we are free to do whatever. I am trying to figure out how long to stay and whether to limit ourselves to just Coral Cove and the Rock House, or whether we should consider spending a night or two in MB before we leave. I would like to stay at least another four nights after the wedding, so that could be 4 at Rock House and then fly out of MB, or 3 at Rock House and then spend the last night in MB before flying out.

The reason I am considering staying in MB at all, is that I keep hearing we should visit Dunn's River Falls and that would be too far for a day trip from Negril, but we could go there from Negril and then stay in MB that night. I guess another option would be to stay near the falls on our last night, since our flight home is later in the afternoon.

Any thoughts? Is there more to do in/near MB that we should consider a longer stay there? How about hotels - any nice recommendations near MB or DRF'S (think honeymoon - not families).

Thanks very much!!!
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 09:28 AM

It depends on what you like. There's not much of interest to me in MoBay. Dunn's River is quite a drive from there, so if you're interested in doing a waterfall, try the YS Falls from Negril. Talk of the Town Tours can book your trip or you can negotiate with a taximan in Negril for possibly a lower price. YS Falls has far fewer tourists and the drive would be about as far from Negril as Dunn's River is from MoBay.

I don't think there's anyplace in MoBay that will compare to the romantic atmosphere and good value that the Rock House offers in Negril. But if you want to see a city and do city things, then by all means look further into it. But Negril has a better beach, more varied accommodations, and enough nightlife and restaurants to choose from without having to stay in Mobay, in my opinion.

Old Dec 9th, 2008, 09:34 AM

We split a week between the cliffs in Negril (Rockhouse) and the beach in Negril (CocoLaPalm). Took a day trip to Mayfield Falls, which was very uncrowded. Worked out very nicely.
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

I think I posted too soon! It wouldn't be 'Negril, or Negril and MB' - it would be 'Negril, or Negril and Ocho Rios'. I understand that OR is worth a visit and has some very nice hotels (the Jamiaca Inn looks beautiful). So I need to decide between spending all of our nights at Rock House - or moving to Ocho Rios for a night or two at the end of the trip so that we can visit the falls.

Thanks!!
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 11:10 AM

I think you'll find Ocho a real disappointment after visiting Negril. Ocho is a cruise ship stop, and the whole town has a very commercial feel. Negril is built-up, too, but it's still got the cliff restaurants, hotels, and one of the most amazing and long beaches in the Caribbean.
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 05:44 PM

ahh, introducing Jamaica Inn into the equation is another thing entirely. Jamaica Inn is a fine old establishment with class & character. It's also on the beach, which Rock House is not. That being said, I woudn't necessarily leave Negril to stay there since the beach in Negril is nicer than the one at Jamaica Inn. I certainly wouldn't drive so far to Ochi just to stay one night there--I'd be far more inclined to spend that time in Negril. BUt it all depends on how much you want to see Dunn's River Falls. There are other, less touristy, waterfalls closer to Negril, as many of us have already posted.

If you like the looks of Jamaica Inn for its own sake and are attracted to the vibe, then its worth considering a stay there. If you're only thinking about it vis a vis Dunn's River, I'd give it a skip on this trip.

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Based on the answers here and on another post I think I have decided we will stay in Negril only and save Dunn's River Falls for another visit.

Neither of the places we are staying in Negril (Coral Cove and Rock House) have beaches, so instead of an excursion to Ocho Rios we'll hit 7 mile beach instead. Now I'll have to post about where to go on 7 mile beach!
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM

Since you will fly out of MO anyway, you could spend your last night or two in MO so you can visit the falls. MO isn't much of a travel destination, but you have to go back there anyway and you can easily find some nice places to stay that aren't far from the airport and a realistic commute to the falls. Just a thought of how to head back where you need to be and take in the falls too.