Culebra Ferry

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Raybo

Culebra Ferry

Can I get a car across to Culebra? If not is there a safe place to park my rental for a couple days? Seems a waste to let it sit there then again it might be too expensive to bring across. Well I appreciate all replys.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Diana_pr77

Yes you can get a car to Culebra it cost about $30 to get it for the cargo ferry that can take you there call 1-787-863-4560

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Kristin

Hmm, I've never heard of that cargo ferry, but will have to note the number for future reference.

Another option is flying to Culebra. We did it a few weeks ago and it was a breeze. You can park at the airport in Fajardo for about $7. The flight is $40 roundtrip and takes just 10 minutes. I know you can also fly from San Juan and imagine it's not much more expensive. The only downside to flying is that rental cars are expensive in Culebra.

Enjoy! Culebra is gorgeous; don't miss Flamenco Beach.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:28 AM
cj

When we flew from San Juan to Culebra a few years ago, the airfare was about $90pp RT. (So airfare from Fajardo is considerably less expensive.) Culebra has the cutest little airport I've ever seen!

Depending on where you stay, you might not need a car. We stayed right outside the village and walked back and forth and when we wanted to go to Flamenco, we took a cab (minibus about $3 pp). Actually when we went TO Flamenco we hiked most of the way (from near Melones Point, quite a hike) and then some nice folks gave us a ride the rest of the way -- and THEN we took the minibus back! Where will you be staying?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Mike

There is parking at the ferry that appears secure. Its $5 a date (meaning not 24 hours. The ferry is $2 and is about an hour. The publico is $2, and they are waiting at the ferry. This info is for vieques, but the ferry terminal is the same and I imagine the publicos would be.

You can also one way car rental for a $30 charge, each way.

Mike

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:42 AM
kt

If you do take a car to Culebra, be careful. We took a rental car over a couple years ago and put a giant hole in the oil pan. There are no mechanics on the island (or there weren't any then). I've heard that they've paved the road out to Zoni beach (so sad, in my opinion) so this may not apply anymore.
Oh- and good luck getting through on the phone number. They never answered it. We ended up driving out one day from San Juan to make the reservation and then back again on the day we travelled.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:52 AM
Raybo

Thanks all. Like kt said, I had a tuff time getting hold of the ferry in Fajardo and when I finally did they told me I had to call Culebra to make my reservation. I think they are just giving a gringo a hard time. So I've abandoned the idea of bringing the rental car over for fear I'll get it there and not be able to get it back. Boy won't Thrifty be happy with me!

I'll be staying at Villa Boheme so I can walk to town and if I really need to, I'll rent a jeep for a day.

Thanks again! Ray

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:58 AM
Kristin

If you're heading over for the weekend, then I highly recommend flying. The ferry to Culebra often sells out and I'm not aware that it's possible to buy tickets in advance. Also, you can't go outside on the ferry and if the water is rough...

You'll love Culebra! I was there about a month ago and couldn't believe how much different it is from PR itself. You can also rent a bike if you don't want to rent a Jeep. Playa Flamenco is not to be missed! I've heard great things about the other beaches, but you need to hike to most and one of our traveling companions was 8 months pregnant, so we stuck with Flamenco, and did the nearby hike (about 15 minutes) to the famous snorkeling beach (forget the name). That was definitely worth it. Have fun!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:52 AM
mario

do not even try to take the rental car to vieques or culebra..first, it is prohibited in your lease agreement with thrifty or any of the major ones, and the local rent a cars in V and C are working with the ferry company to not allow the practice...also, a car in culebra only gets you so far, try a jeep and you can really explore..same goes for vieques..to get to Navio or media luna beach (my fave!!) its a lot better to have a jeep..enjoy!