Daytrips from Montego Bay

Feb 7th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Daytrips from Montego Bay

We are heading down to Jamaica in Mid March for a few days, staying in Montego Bay. We've already taken daytrips out to Dunn's River Falls, YS Falls/Black River and rafting on the Martha Brae River. Last year we stayed in Negril so we have seen that side of the island too.

It looked like there were some interesting places out by Port Antonio but it looks like it is too far for a daytrip. Any other suggestions that I could look into?

Thanks!
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:40 PM

Right in MoBay is Rose Hall. It isn't advice that you hear very often, but both my husband and I enjoyed it.
Feb 7th, 2004, 09:14 PM

Mayfields Falls, The Blue Hole Gardens/Roaring River, Lisa Salmon's Bird Sanctuary at Anchovy, an afternoon at Oasis Spa on the bay at Bluefields followed by dinner at Culloden Cafe, Mountambrin, the hustle of Sav market and shops,Bongo's fruit stand,Glistening Waters/Falmouth or The Houseboat Grille/Bogue Lagoon or Tapas for dinner. Go explore outside MoBay.
Feb 8th, 2004, 06:03 AM

tivertonhouse, we will be in Jamaica in April and looking for day trip taxi cost (approx.) for 4 people to go from Sandals Royal to Sandals Negril and Dunns River. Does not need to be exact but get me in the area.
Thanks
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:17 PM

Talk to Carolyn Barrett at Barrett Adventures/[email protected]
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:52 AM

Tiverton's suggestions are great.
I would however ad that a visit to Glistening waters isn't really worth it unless it's done at night.
I definitely recommend Culloden Cafe. If you love chocolate cake make sure to have a slice of their award winning version!!! It's yummy!!
Port Antonio might be too fa for a DRIVE but you could FLY there on Air Jamaica Express. Cuts the time on getting there down significantly. You could go to Air Jamaica's website and check out the schedules.
I would skip Rose Hall Great house (unless you like Golf!) and opt instead for the Greenwood Great House tour. If you're gonna do Rose Hall I'd recommend the "White Witch" Club House for lunch.The view is breathtaking and the food pretty good!
Another recommend for dinner is the Houseboat at FREEPORT (not Bogue). A literal Houseboat on the water. Their homemade ice cream is always good and the warm Banana cake just simply to die for!

Feb 10th, 2004, 05:03 AM

I highly recommend Green Groto Caves and Chucka Cove in Runnaway Bay.
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:20 AM

What about Chukka Cove would you recommend JRAY?
Feb 10th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Oh! Another thing! There's a group called "Chukka Blue" that have adventure tours. We enjoyed our tubing "adventure"! :0) I think they're located in Sandy Bay. They have white water river tubing and horseback riding. There's also the ATV tour that's outside of Mobay as well...in Greenwood I believe though I may be wrong.
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:20 AM

You can go tubing at YS Falls also now, tht was added last year. It was fun in a relaxing sort of way, no whitewater

That's near Black River, which is a fun way to pass an afternoon, cruisng up, seeing crocs...if you get a msall fishing boat instead of the big pontoon boats the tours use, you can go really far up the river to where you can swim, get fresh crab and see a lot more scenery.

Glistening Waters is definitely all about nighttime...the water glows at night. More clouds and less moon make for a better trip....
Feb 10th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the excellent suggestions, I will go start looking into all of them