Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Need your thoughts on Sandals Montego Bay and Royal Bahamian

Sep 16th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Planning a honeymoon and wedding on one of the resorts in Feb 2004, but having hard time deciding.....would appreciate any advice...
Sep 17th, 2003, 08:18 AM

The bigger draw for Mo Bay is the beach. Another high point is that Jamaica is a spectacular island.
The Royal Bahamian is newer and has very nice rooms and bathrooms. However, there is not much to do or see in the Bahamas.
Sep 17th, 2003, 08:48 AM

Worst thing about SMB is that it is right near the airport and the planes are VERY close. It is loud when they fly over. SMB has a younger crowd (not exclusively) and a real party atmosphere. Beach is nice and watersports are teriffic. Lots of scenic places to have the ceremony. Bahamas waters are not very warm in Feb., while it is in Jamaica.
Sep 17th, 2003, 09:18 AM

Or you could opt for another one of the Sandals properties in Jamaica.
Sep 17th, 2003, 09:36 AM

Have you looked into Negril's all inclusives rather than Montego Bay? My husband and I were married in Negril in June and spent our last night in Montego Bay, and our entire group preferred the Negril area to the Montego Bay area as it's much more laid-back.
Sep 17th, 2003, 12:46 PM

We have been to most of the Sandals and I would opt for one of the others. Bahamas is very impressive, great pools and loved all the dining choices but the beach stinks - tiny!! Water is very calm and clear but jsut too little beach so everyone stays at the pools. Also way to expensive for a Sandals.

MoBay is the most active Sandals - more party like. Beach is the largest private beach in Jamaica so that is not a problem but the pools are yuck - main pool is small - nice but gets packed and activity pool is jsut a square pool. Tons of activity there but seems to lack that romantic feel that you can get at other Sandals and not the prettiest of Sandals.

I would look into NEgril - great beach, tons to do but still very romantic, loved the pools on the beach and a great tropical atmosphere. Sandals Ocho is also nice - beach is small but the grounds are so lovely and is the perfect place for a wedding.

Would you consider Antigua?

Penney
Sep 17th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi...thanks for all replies.....I am definitely rethinking about where to go. So, it seems that most you would prefer Negril? But...if you stay at any of the resorts in Jamaica...you can also play at the other ones?

Another question...any thoughts on St. Lucia? It seems that I've read nothing but positive reviews about this one.

Oh, another question...is the concierge rooms really worth it?
Sep 17th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Sorry..another question. Will the resorts be crowded in Feb,? We would like to be able to get into the restaurants and do the activities without a long waiting list.
Sep 18th, 2003, 07:45 AM

Cammi,
In February at the St. Lucia Sandals, you will not be able to get into the water. It's also a lot further to fly, the staff isn't as good as on the other properties, and it's an expensive part of the Carribbean. If you're looking for that "Perfect Paradise" at Sandals, I would suggest Antigua.
Sep 18th, 2003, 07:58 AM

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful week at Sandals Royal Caribbean resort in Mobay. It is farther from the airport than Montego Bay resort and a little smaller and more intimate. The staff there are the best, and there are plenty of activities to participate in or not. The Thai restaurant on the private island (clothing optional) off shore is excellent and the beach is very nice and clean. I would recommend this resort to anyone . There are also shuttle buses to take you to Sandals Inn and the Montego Bay Sandals.
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:15 AM

I agree with mersingary that SRC is an excellent Sandals. But...Negril is also.

Jamaica is a great & fun place to be. It's so big and diverse, it would take a long time to see most of it. The people there are wonderful.
Sep 19th, 2003, 06:20 AM

Sandals Negril is our favorite or Sandals antigua.I booked sandals royal bahamian to get married in feb when I found out the weather and the water was not warm in Feb. I cancelled lost the airfare part and booked Antigua which was wonderful. Great beach great food. We went the next year to Royal bahamian because I felt maybe i missed something but I didn't I am so thankful I got married in Antigua. No one goes in the water in the bahamas even though they clean the beach everyday there is always seaweed tons of it in the water and there is a terrible smell. The food was the best out of the Sandals I;ve been to but I am a beach lover. The pools are huge but no one goes in the ocean.Negril is very laid back my husband was happy he could wear shorts to dinner everyday while in the bahamas he had to wear long pants every night.The beach is beautiful in negril and the water is so calm they even let you take the rafts from the pool in the ocean.I haven't been to st lucia but either negril or antigua definetly!!!
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi thanks for all the replies. It has been extremely helpful. We have decided on Negril....finally and after much frustration. I am getting all the quotes together for the package. Have any of you dealt with www.honeymoonsinc.com? They give this great price, but it makes me wonder because they are an internet travel agency.
Sep 19th, 2003, 02:55 PM

Negril is a good choice - jsut make sure you get a room with a balcony or patio - lower category rooms do not have either but the higher end ones do. Upper level too is better for the view.

I have not heard of who you mentioned but we have used soem internet agents. I do not want to list who we have used here (do not want to be blamed for advertising!) but feel free to email me at [email protected] and Iwould be happy to pass on some good names of agents on the web - in general, web prices tend to be far cheaper then going through a traditonal travel agent for Sandals but you do have to be careful.

Penney
Feb 7th, 2004, 03:59 PM

Hi,just returned from SRB, had a wonderful time. We were upgraded to the newer bldg. which is great, the old bldg. you get scalding hot water showers and then freezing 2 sec. later. The ocean water was a little chilly at first,but much warmer than 10- zero-the snorkeling was great. So I cannot complain about that. The weather was a sunny and about 70-80 degrees every day.It was very windy for two days though,but had a wonderful time.I will go back.