Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Negril restaurants and other questions - leaving soon!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am heading to Negril this week for the first time... and have a few last minute questions.

1. What are good places to eat at, both in the moderate and cheap price ranges??

2. What kinds of water sports can you do while there? Any suggestions?

3. What are the MUST do's while there? I plan on lying on the beach mostly, but am up for a day trip here and there if it's a not to miss.

Thanks!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 09:47 AM

I, and some other people who go a lot, made a pretty good list of places to eat that are especially good or good values:

http://www.alink.com/personal/liz/ne...egrilnotes.htm

You can go out on a glass bottom boat or catamaran to snorkel or drink/see sunset, there's prasailing, scuba diving, jetskis, banana boats, sailboats...

I find a trip into the country to swim in some waterfalls (my favorite) or take a boat ride up a river or horseback riding (if that's your thing) makie a nice change from tourist-land.

Mayfeild Falls are closest and most natural, YS Falls is more developed but also nice, Black River has boat rides to see crocodiles and even swim (in a differnet area of the river).
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Hi Taia!
Alot of the restaurants will have their daily specials posted along the beach. Just take a stroll and see what you might enjoy.
Selina's, located across the street from the beach, has an extensive menu, and she will take requests for just about anything. Reasonably priced.
Try Miss Sonia's for the veggie/beef/chicken patties. Or catch the "Pattie Man" that strolls along the beach around lunch time (try a piece of coco bread too! Delicious!).
Almost all the resorts along the beach offer good food, most menu's are posted.

On the cliffs: I recommend Jus Natural for breakfast. Fresh food, in a garden setting.
Rockhouse resort is very nice for dinner or lunch. Great views.
LTU Pub has good fare and is excellent at dinnertime to watch the sunset, away from the crowds.
Try 3-Dives for the best jerk chicken.

Plenty of watersports offered, again just walk the beach/cliffs, you be offered many choices.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 02:51 PM

We enjoyed Normas on the beach. And we loved 3 Dives on the cliffs. Our favorite water activity was para-sailing. It's one of those things you just have to do once . . . beautiful!!

Enjoy!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 04:39 PM

Another vote for Normas at Seasplash resort.... excellent food and atmosphere, and full of locals up for the weekend from Kingston
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:52 PM

You don't think of Italian in Jamaica but we had a wonderful meal at the Italian restaurant at Mariposa.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Mariposa is cool...I LOVE Jamaican food and am rarely willing to eat naything else but Mariposa does a kind of Italian/Jamaican fusion that's really good...and the service there is great.

The cold seafood appetizer was my favorite...various fish/shellfish in a vinaigrette...yum.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 04:11 AM

Jus Natural is great for dinner (as well as breakfast). I also liked Kuyuba on the beach.