Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

If I fly into Montego Bay, which Sandals resort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not very familiar with Jamaica.... Are they all accessable from Montego Bay airport?
Thanks!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:41 AM

There are 3 Sandals in Montego Bay; Sandals Inn, Sandals Montego Bay and Sandals Inn. These 3 are obviously closest to the airport. The next closest would perhaps be Sandals Negril, about an hour's drive from Montego Bay.

www.visitjamaica.com
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

How far would Dunn's River be? What about Whitehouse?
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:05 PM

dunns river would be around 1 1/2 hour and whitehouse about 45 minutes
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:19 PM

I don't think there are any Sandals that are closer to Kingston than MoBay.

Ocho Rios would be about the same either way.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 08:22 PM

ok,first off there are 3 close to the airport Sandals Montego Bay,Sandals Inn, and Sandals Royal Caribbean. The next would be Sandals Negril which is about a little over an hour from the airport. But if you wish you can take a small plane close to this resort. Sandals Whitehouse is about 2 hours away. Sandals Dunns River is about 1 3/4 hours and Sandals Ocho Rios just about 15 minutes more then Dunns. Have been to all of these resorts, if you have any ?'s feel free to email me...
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:18 AM

If you choose a Sandals in Montego Bay, Sandals MoBay is probably the best one to stay at. I have been to Royal Caribbean but not the Inn. MoBay has more returnees than any other Sandals. I've heard that the Inn is pretty much a waste of time. One advantage in going to a Sandals outside of Montego Bay is that you get to experience more of the flavor and culture of Jamaica on your travels. Negril is very pretty and there are fun excursions offed there.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Can't see how you'd be able to experience "more of the flavor and culture of Jamaica on your travels" by choosing to stay at Sanmdals Dunns River as opposed to Sandals Montego Bay...they're both All Inclusives...serve the same crap food...have the same lame entertainment...neither of which is in any way representative of Jamaica.
The only difference betwixt them all is that they're in different parishes - Negril is in Hanover, Dunns River is in St. Ann and Montego Bay is in St. James. So... the only real "flavour" you'll experience is the difference in climate & beach quality that each parish would have.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:29 AM

I have to disagree with JAGIRL... we have been traveling to Jamaica since 1997 and am die hard Sandals lovers. We have experienced a huge amount of the local flair the island has to offer. You dont have to stay locked in the resort to stay at Sandals. Jamaica is an awsome island and experience all of the culture you can while you are visiting this great island.