Calling all Bermuda experts

Feb 18th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Calling all Bermuda experts

Planning a few days in Bermuda in May. Would love to hear from folks who have been there and can recommend "musts" to see and do. Thanks as always for any advice!
Feb 18th, 2003, 09:24 AM

Not an expert but when we were there, we played golf, went to crystal caves, aquarium, hamilton and the Swizzle Inn.
Feb 18th, 2003, 12:57 PM

Try this site...http://www.bermudashorts.bm/ there is a forum that is really good for BOP's Bermuda Obessed People... We are cruising to Bermuda for the 10th time In September. The Dockyard is fun as is Swizzle Inn, my favorite... St. George, charming and perhaps you might like a Helmet Dive..
Feb 18th, 2003, 02:47 PM

Bermuda is my favorite island, have been there over 20 times and never get tired of it! Must see, do etc.-really depends what you are looking for. Yes , St. George is a lovely old town, Town Crier, and dunking wench, fun too see. I love the Botancial Gardens, the shell collection at the Underwater Observatory on the out skirts of Hamilton. Enjoy shopping in Hamilton- china store Blucks, The Irish Linen Shop,Astwood Dickenson, Triminghams, Smiths, Bermuda bookstore all on a NON cruise ship days, much less crowded.
Also the Dockyards has an interesting Maritime Museum, the Aquarium in Flatts is nice too,love the pink flamingos! Take the interisland ferry system, even a glass bottom boat.
Make sure you view the beaches from the vistas on South Road! The Swizzle Inn in my opinion is overated, just like a college bar, yup I left my card on the beams years ago, BUT the rum swizzles are deadly, after all THIS is where they were invented! So take a peak. If you want an English Pub its The Hog Penny. I love the smell of the flowers, the sounds of the tree frogs at night, the sun glissing on the boiler rocks off the beaches on South Road, the winding lanes, and the lovely homes on Harbour Roand, and Tuckers Town. Best of all the pink sand, surf and beaches-wonderful! Enjoy the beauty of the island!
Feb 18th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you ladies! May won't come soon enough and I appreciate all your helpful tips. Happy travels!
Feb 19th, 2003, 06:15 AM

I agree with Penny that the Swizzle Inn is way overrated.

If you're in Hamilton, go to Fort Hamilton on Happy Valley Rd. Beautiful views of the harbour and city. Be sure to walk around the moat garden. Also stop at Palm Grove on South Rd. in Devonshire. It's next door to Arial Sands. Beautiful gardens and a fish pond with the map of Bermuda in it. Beside Horseshore Bay...stop at Warwick Long Bay and Astwood Cove.

As you can see, there are really many things to do...you'll definitely have to plan another trip back!
Feb 19th, 2003, 09:20 AM

I have been to Bermuda 5 times and feel that it is the most beautiful island.The best way to explore the island is by moped. The best beaches are in Warwick, Long Bay, Jobson's Cove Chapin's Cove, Stonehill Cove. There are walking paths to many vistas and beaches in that area and you are more likely to have the beaches to yourself in these areas.

Most people head to Horseshoe Bay where you can rent chairs and umbrellas. Make sure you don't go there when the cruise ships are in port. It looks like the Jersey Shore on those days. You have to climb over people to find a spot in the sand.

Tobacco Bay near St. George is a nice small beach for snorkeling. You can rent chairs and there is a concession stand there. Again, very crowded when the cruise ships are in St. George.

Have a great time.
Feb 19th, 2003, 09:59 AM

Isn't there St. Catherine's Beach in St. George? Also, you may think Swizzle Inn is overrated, but we think it's fun..and always stop and have lunch and drink.
Feb 19th, 2003, 11:10 AM

I only mentioned the swizzle inn because it is famous. It is easily accessible by bus and we stopped there after the caves.
Feb 19th, 2003, 11:36 AM

Try the Wildcat Boat Tour, it's a bright yellow catamaran that takes you on a tour around the entire Island in two hours or helmet diving(way safer than it sounds!) you don't have to know how to swim and you don't get your face or hair wet!