Bermuda Help

May 18th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Bermuda Help

I am going to Bermuda with my wife in the first week of Aug. We have never been there and have no idea what to do. We will only be there for 3 nights and will probably spen most of it on the beach. I would love any advise on things we need to do and see. Also if you know anything about the Wyndham Bermuda Resort & Spa we would like to hear about it.
Thank You-
May 18th, 2005, 12:57 PM

There is lots to do on Bermuda and it can be done without spending a ton of money. Visit Gibbs Hill light. There’s no better view of Bermuda than from this point. Walk a section of the Railway Trail, another hidden Bermuda gem. Take the ferry to Hamilton. One of the best bargains on the island. If you’re into gardens, visit Palm Grove Gardens a private estate that is open to the public Monday to Thursday. Snorkel Church Bay.Try some of the lesser known beaches such as John Smith’s Bay and Whale Bay. Definitely go to the known beaches.

Some of these are not as convenient to visit without a scooter, however Bermuda does have an excellent public transportation system.
May 19th, 2005, 04:02 AM

If you are daring, take a moped (separate or a double) and tour the island, Royal Navy Dockyards are fun. Hamilton is also pretty. We stayed at Stonington, which is now Coral Reef, lovely property. Eat at Henry VIII, fun place! The beaches are heavenly and the island is so safe, friendly and clean. Enjoy, Bermuda is just beautiful.
May 19th, 2005, 06:49 AM

If you are staying at the Wyndham, have dinner one night at the either of the restaurants at The Reefs which is the hotel next door. Great food and romantic setting.
May 19th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Do buy a 3-day pass for the ferry/bus system. You can see the entire Island for next to nothing. A glass-bottom boat tour is also a good way to see some of the marine life if you don't like snorkelling. If you want to spend most of your time on the beach, you won't get to see much of the Island, however, you can go out to the Dockyard via the ferry from Hamilton. Take your snorkel gear as there is a snorkel park where you can do some swimming. When I was there they had a few chairs, tables, hammocks, etc. to relax on and some local entertainment, change houses, etc. If you want to do the hokey dinner cruise, Don't Stop the Carnival is great value which includes all drinks, buffet and entertainment. Leaves from Hamilton. You can always do an evening trip into St. Georges - they have one evening with lots of activities going on as does Hamilton (I believe Wednesday nights). One stop that is a must is the Swizzle Inn - but don't take a scooter! The small but potent drinks don't mix with driving! Across from the Swizzle is the Crystal Caves - not a high priority but awesome to see. There used to be a perfumery in the same area but I believe it has since closed.

Enjoy your trip to Bermuda - the beaches are fantastic!
May 19th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all, for the help. After playing around on the internet I was thinking about canceling the Wyndham and going to 9 Beaches. It looks amazing. Does anyone know anything about it, and how it compares to the Wyndham? Also do they have TV's at 9 Beaches, and why do you need to take a boat there? On the map it looks as if it is part of the island.
Thank you again for all of your help.
May 19th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Before you give up on the Wyndham, be sure to read the latest review of 9Beaches on tripadvisor.com.

There are also reviews of the "new Wyndham". Doesn't sound like 9Beaches is ready for prime time.

May 19th, 2005, 10:04 AM

9Beaches has been getting terrible reviews on Tripadvisor.

I don't think they do have TV's in the room (I think I remember that being one of the complaints in the reviews).

The arrival by boat is a gimmick to make arrival a bit more special. It is on the main island and accessible by road.

I agree with Dove. I wouldn't book into 9Beaches until it's clear they have overcome their teething troubles.
May 19th, 2005, 03:19 PM

I have read many negative reviews on the 9Beaches place.
The Wyndam is the old Sonesta Resort. They have spent the year renovating the property. It should be very nice. The hotel next door, the Reefs is an excellent small hotel (no tvs). Good food and nice location. Across the street from the Wyndam is the King Henry the VIII's Pub. This can be a fun place. The Fairmont is also across the way and you can visit there. I would rent mopeds and explore the many beaches. The public bus is excellent, safe and cheap! You can take it town and it stops at the top of the hill by your resort.
I would try the Wyndam.You will be sorry you only are staying on Bermuda for three nights. It is a beautiful and friendly island.
May 20th, 2005, 12:48 AM

If you are there on a Wednesday night go to Hamilton for Harbour Nights - stalls selling local souvenirs, street entertainment and the bars and restaurants will be heaving.
May 20th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your excellent advice. You have been unbelievably helpful. I will definitely not be changing my hotel reservations to 9 Beaches, although I am still curios to see it. Does anyone know how far 9 Beaches is from Wyndham? Thank you again for the help.
May 20th, 2005, 05:35 PM

if your thinking of switching hotels
consider the reefs. it's wonderful and the room rate includes breakfast, tea and gourmet dinner! would not recomend renting scooters. I HERE THERE VERY DANGEROUS, SOMEONE DIED WHILE I WAS THERE.
May 21st, 2005, 06:03 PM

Hello:

I am from Bermuda and I can give you some advice as to what to do.
First of all, I dont know what your intrests are, but you may just get there in time for the Cupmatch Criket game. It is a game played every year around the end of july during Emancipation day and Somers day.
Another thing that you could do is visit gibbs hill lighthouse..a georgeous view of the island!
If you are there for a wednesday, you will be able to go to Harbour Nights. It is a street fair/event where the main street in the city is blocked off and there are gombey dancers, stalls with jewelery and bermuda gifts, massages, face painting...anything!
But here is a website that gives you more information:
http://www.bermuda4u.com/

Also,in the evenings it is really nice to hire a horse and carriage for the evening...it will take you around the city.

Like the last poster has said, it is pretty dangerous to rent a scooter...you have to be really careful being that the roads here in Bermuda are very windy and the locals sometimes drive wrecklessly...and, if its your first time, you may be nervous which gives you more of a chance to get in an accident. However, I dont want to discourage you from renting one...it is just as dangerous as renting a car in another country...you can get in a accident there too. Its just what you feel comfortable with.

THe Wyndam is wonderful! It is minutes away from my house and is right on the waterside. It has its own beach and has just opened a water park...however, it isnt as large as a regular one being that its just a hotel. But it is very nice. You should definately stay there.

Another word of wisdom that I would give you is to be safe and have street smarts. Not to scare you away but there have been some incidents of attacks on tourists but the tourists were out late nights and in desolate areas. So just make sure that you dont wonder off anywhere where you are not comfortable and just be aware of your surroundings...just giving you a bit of insider information.

But honestly, not saying this just because i live in Bermuda, it is a WONDERFUL place and is blooming with culture and events in the summer so you should enjoy it greatly. Let me know how you find it when you get back!
May 22nd, 2005, 11:19 AM

Yankees23, you asked if it was easy to get to the 9Beaches from the Wyndham and I don't think anyone responded. By moped it is relatively easy to drive to Somerset and ask for directions from there. By ferry, go to Somerset and take a cab to 9Beaches. I went to the property when it was Daniel's Head and it does look interesting. From the trip advisor postings, I would say they need some time to work out the bugs. The renovations on the Wyndham look very nice. Enjoy your trip, Bermuda is another world.
May 22nd, 2005, 03:45 PM

I agree with others that renting a moped is the best way to see the island, but you have to be really careful. The beaches are wonderful, but I thought the Swizzle Inn was dungy and way over-rated. Have a great time, and get out and see the island and don't spend much time in Hamilton!