Bermuda - where to go vs where not to go

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bermuda - where to go vs where not to go

Getting ready for my first trip to Bermuda - any advise ? What are "must sees" what are tourist traps ?? Any recommended restaurants ? What about transportation around the island ?
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 01:04 PM

In the ‘must see’ category I put a ferry ride to or from Hamilton from one of the western stops, such as Watford Bridge, Cavello Bay, or Somerset Bridge. Definitely visit Gibb’s Hill light for your best views on Bermuda. Any of the beaches but we’re particularly fond of Whale Bay and Church Bay. The later is very picturesque and offers good snorkeling. The Royal Navy Dockyard is worth a visit. I always went to Palm Grove Garden but that’s a personal favorite of mine.

We stayed in the western portion of Southampton parish and tended to favor Il Palio as our restaurant of choice.

On our first trip we used the buses to get around half the time and a scooter for the later half. The second trip we used a scooter exclusively. Since I own a motorcycle, I was very comfortable on the scooter. If you are at all uneasy on a scooter use public transportation which is very good on Bermuda.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Roberto !!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 08:40 PM

I second the Navy Dockyard. St. George is also nice to walk around. I would also recommend the perfume factory. I found it an interesting little tour of the perfume industry and you can actually get a "custom" scent made, or buy some of their world famous perfumes. There are some "tourist trap" restaurants (most of the ones on the Hamilton waterfront have so-so food)and places (The Devil's Hole) but they're still fun and funny if you remember you're just there to have fun.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 08:03 PM

The Gibbs Hill lighthouse has a wonderful view. The botanical gardens and Crystal caves are worth seeing. The perfumery is closed. You can select scooters, buses or taxi's to get around. However, do know there are a lot of scooter accidents on Bermuda. Restaurants:
Le Figaro's - French, open for lunch and dinner
Port O' Call - Fresh Local seafood and Steaks
Harley's - Bermudian cuisine in a very romantic ambiance
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 07:16 AM

Gibbs Hill light is closed--for the life of me I cannot remember why. The perfume factory closed in its old wonderful location-I was pleased to see it opened in St. George. We just got back, great weather, a bit humid. Bermuda is a gem--we go every year. I honestly cannot think of a place on the island not to go! Hamilton has some wonderfull dining spots-Port O Call, Silk, Frescos, Bistro J, Little Venice,
The Lobster Pot. I must add its very sad to see the closing of Triminghams,
this department store has been there since the 1800's! On the up side some nice new boutique shops.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 10:30 AM

Gibbs Hill lighthouse is closed to the top because of damage done by Hurrican Fabian. You can still walk up inside it (and look out little windows in the side), but you can't go up to the top. Still, even from the base, there is a nice view of the island.

Favorite restaurant in Hamilton was the Barracuda Grill. Lobster Pot was also good.

Only place we thought was a waste of time was the acquarium and zoo. The people, beaches, views and weather are the best thing about Bermuda. Try as many beaches as possible - some are crowded, others you can be almost alone. Botanical Gardens were nice. It was worth the time to visit the Dockyards and St. George.

Motorscooters are fun once you get used to them. Great way to get around, although the bus system is very good. Buy passes good for bus or ferry for 1 - 7 days. Nice ferry ride from either Hamilton or Dockyard to St. George.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 01:55 PM

We love the aquarium and zoo, yes its very small, but interesting. Each to their own--we find it fun! Actually a sweet place--
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 05:52 PM

Penny, tell us about the new boutiques. I am still in mourning over the passing of Trims. By the way, did Smith's close, also? I understood they had the same owner.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 01:52 PM

I did not get a chance to shop this trip as the black out had lots of stores,restaurants, offices closed. Office buildings did not open until Monday July 18. Yes Smiths is gone.I had wanted to do a last look-shop at Triminghams. I think the bank is taking over the site.

I did see some nice ads for new stores-
designer high end-Jimmy Choo etc. My favorite store Blucks is still there!!!

I will say that Bermudians did a wonderful job restoring power to the hotels, restauants etc. They had a major 11 hour fire in Hamilton at Belco on July 14. Our power went off at 3 am, it was back on by 10 pm. Everyone went to the beach!
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 03:37 PM

Thanks, Penny. I love Blucks, too. Like you I will miss Trims and Smiths. They were not the "special" shops they were when I started going in 1970; but, they still held a place in my heart and were always on the itinerary.
I was in BDA after a hurricane about six years ago. Terrible damage,poweroutage, etc...Belco had everything back on track within twelve hours. The Bermuda spirit and attitude is very British in this regard.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies - we leave this Friday - hopefully the weather improves for us !!