Best of Bermuda in 3 days...

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best of Bermuda in 3 days...

We're spending a long weekend in Bermuda next week. We are staying at the Elbow Beach Resort. Any special restaurant recommendations? or interesting sights to see? I am 7 months pregnant so I'm not looking to do anything very adventurous. Lying around the beach or pool, shopping, and going to fun restaurants for local type food is pretty much my agenda.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 08:17 AM

3 days, in my opinion, is perfect for Bermuda, especially if you're 7 months pregnant. Other than lie around, I would do a small walk around Hamilton's harbor area and botanical gardens. There is a wonderful perfume factory. St. George's center is also great for a bit of browsing around as is the naval yard all the way out at the one end of the island. The naval yard has been converted into a great little shopping area with a couple of nice eateries. It also has a historic fort and a dolphin experience program. If you did one of these things each day, it would be a nice leisurely pace. There was a place in Hamilton right on the water which used to be called the "Waterloo" which was a 4 star restaurant. I think they may have changed its name, but I understand the food is still spectacular. They don't really have any particular "local" type food per se, that I remember, other than specialties like conch fritters and other dishes from the Caribbean. As you are pregnant, I'd stay away from any ocean fish.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tuxedocat! I am really looking to a nice little trip before the baby is born. I'll have to check out the sites you mentioned. Good point on the local fish.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Take a look at Bermuda Shorts (http://pub1.ezboard.com/bbermudashortsforum ) under attractions-3 top suggestions for first timers. An interesting suggestion, although Iíve never taken it, is a walking tour with Jo Cook (http://www.bermudashorts.bm/outandabout/tour.html ).

If you get a chance to visit Palm Grove Garden do so. Itís a large private estate thatís open to the public Monday to Thursday. Certainly walk the south shore beaches and parks. A walk on a section of the Railway Trail should not be too strenuous.

Because of itsí short travel time from the East Coast, Bermuda is definitely an attractive long weekend destination.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 08:47 AM

Congratulations on the new baby, cebubelle. Bermuda is beautiful this time of year and you will enjoy following the suggestions of the other posters. Unless you get seasick, I recommend the ferry for a ride. Great views of the harbor and you can do some shopping at Dockyards. For a super dinner I recommend, Waterloo House, Ascots, La Coquille, or Fourways. Of course, you can enjoy the great food for a bit less if you do any of those except Fourways for lunch. I don't think Fourways does lunch except on Sunday. Enjoy your holiday in beautiful Bermuda.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 02:35 PM

Hi Cebubelle:

Just got back from beautiful Bermuda 3 weeks ago. Stayed downtown at the fab Hamilton Princess.

So you're 7 months pregnant & want to take it easy huh? Congrats... Well I have to recommend a trip to Tobacco Bay (if you're interested in doing the cool beach layaround thing). Cute little inlet/bay beach with lounge chairs, music and a lunch area if you want to get in out of the sun & sip on tea or enjoy a cool afternoon soda.

I also enjoyed walking around Hamilton,(lunch at Monty's is cool, & food is very good) but the shopping was better (price wise) in Dockyard. Dockyard is pretty big so be prepared to walk. You could either do the Museum/Dolphin tour or head straight for the shopping, have a little ice cream and rest your feet.

I can't remember the name of my favorite little shop there, but it's at the very end or front (depending on which way you come in). The store sells lots of nice stuff for your home and is a tad ecletic. I grabbed the cutest little hand made light green napkin holders in the shape of a Bermuda Onion. The place was packed with stuff, paintings, vases, incense, linen, cedar and the shopkeeper hat a quick wit and sharp tongue so watch out (lol).

Enjoy you're weekend.

-K
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:17 PM

Take the bus out to St. George. It's a very neat little town. The buses are a great way to see the island.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help everone, and well wishes! I am leaving this Thursday, and am really looking forward to it. Right now, the weather is looking good, in the 80's and I hope sunny. We were looking at various restaurants on the island and noticed that some request a jacket and tie! Not sure my husband was looking to lug it on vacation. oh well, i'm sure it will be terrific. i keep telling him it maybe one of the last times we have a fancy meal before the baby!!!!!

Kind regards!
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 10:24 AM

I am pretty sure Waterloo and Fourways both request jacket and tie for dinner. There are tons of other excellent restaurant choices if he really doesn't want to bring them along.