Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Bermuda, Any clever tips for cruiseline tourists?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2010, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Bermuda for just 2 days. Sure wish we were not cruising there, so we could stay longer. Does anyone have any practical, clever tips for us so we can save time, and money, and avoid the huge numbers of people that the ships bring to the island ? Where could we walk /go after docking at Fisherman's Wharf to find a safe, INEXPENSIVE cab driver? May 9 - 16... Any special destinations in mind for a teacher and an attorney ?

Thank you for your time and courtesies!
SG
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 12:56 PM

If you enjoy walking, head out on the bermuda railway trail
I think public transportation (buses and ferries) are super and you can reach all the interesting places on the island.
there are no inexpensive cabs in Bermuda.

What are your interests (gardens, shopping, hiking, nature, snorkling, beach, history)? Bermuda has lots of choices.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 06:25 PM

You're not going to find a cheap cab. Get off the boat early and get the ferry to Hamilton. From Hamilton, take the bus wherever you want to go. Avoid Horseshoe Bay - the entire cruise ship will be there. Instead, try going one beach down and find yourself all sorts of pretty beach and parkland to explore, minus the crowds.
cmcfong is right - let us know more about your interests - our idea of a good time might not be yours!!
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

You two have been incredibly helpful! Basically, we just enjoy the culture, the customs of the people, the food, the way of life. Not too interested in churches and community building. Thank you! SG
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 12:46 PM

I'll just throw out some of my favorite things to do when in Bermuda.
1.I spend at least one sunset sitting on either a ferry dock or the park by the Bermuda Yacht Club watching the harbor turn red.
2. A visit to Gibbs Lighthouse (and tea or lunch at the Dining Room) will give you a wonderful view of Bermuda.
3. If you want "local" food try either Dennis' Hideaway or Traditions. txgirlinbda, you probably better supplement this suggestion! The one local food you must try is fresh rockfish or the Bermuda lobster if in season.
4. Walk the Somerset part of the Bermuda railway trail and cross the world's smallest drawbridge.
5. I love to sit at Church Bay and watch the longtails dart in and out....then go for a great snorkle and swim.
6. Have a rum swizzle at the Swizzle Inn (it's a Bermuda thing)
7. Check out Harbor Nights downtown.
8. Hike up to Fort Hamilton and then go down the hill to the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Museum.
9. Walk around St. George, then go for a sail.
10. Breathe! The air is clear and fresh.

Bermuda is an interesting blend of British and Caribbean cultures. The most important thing is to be polite. Greet everyone before asking for directions, ordering a meal or buying something in a shop.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 12:50 PM

One other thing you might want to do is check out some of the places on www.bermudarentals.com or www.bermudagetaway.com and a few of the guest houses so you can make your next visit even longer!
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 08:24 PM

cmcfong thank you for all the great advice
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 03:36 AM

You are most welcome, Sue. Please post a report when you return. If I can't be in Bermuda, I love to read about those who are!
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 06:53 AM

topping for Lance