Upcoming Bermuda trip suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2007, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going to Bermuda for a quick 3 night stay at the Pompano resort in Southhampton. We are celebrating our 10yr anniversary and would like some suggestions regarding activities. We are mostly interested in exploring good beaches/scenic views etc. Not interested in museums etc. Also our rate at Pompano includes dinner and breakfast so am looking for restaurant recommendations for lunch. The hotel provides drop off to the bus stop and the ferry to Hamilton. Not sure which is more convinient. The hotel also has an exchange program for dinner with Cambridge Beaches and The Reefs. Any suggestions on which restaurant for dinner at the above two hotels? Essentially we are really looking forward to spending quality time together and would like suggestions on how best to use our limited time in Bermuda. Thanks all.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:19 AM

An excellent resource for you would be

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/tr...4/bermuda.html

Also click on my screenname and a thread called favorite things to do in Bermuda will appear. It has contributions from many of the BDA regulars.

Lunch: The Lemon Tree, next door to Par La Ville Park (do not be put off by appearances, the chef is one of the best on the island)
Hog Penny Pub on Queen St.
Waterloo House on Front Street.
Ascots (reserve ahead even for lunch) on Rosemont Avenue.

I would suggest if you are willing that you hire a moped/motorbike and start exploring. Bermuda is very easy to get around and there are still private nooks and crannies even if a cruise ship or two is in dock.

Pompano is a gorgeous resort and I am sure it will be hard to leave it. Have a wonderful trip and please post a report when you get back!

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:17 AM
sp

Pompano is our most longed for yearly trip and our favourite 'getaway' place. We have never gone with the food exchange program because we love it at Pompano so much, especially with the new restaurant they have added - Ocean Grill - it is surrounded by floor to ceiling windows and if it were any closer to the water, you would be swimming! From the gorgeous shades of the water to the sunset views, it is an incredible setting. Dinner was always excellent. If you are there on a Monday, stick around for their Manager's rum party. It is very upbeat with the owners and staff being extremely hospitable. This is followed by a bbq buffet and endless desserts made by, from what I am told, one of the best pastry chefs around. We're Italian, so our favourite restaurants to go to for lunch are in Hamilton - Portofino's and LaTrattoria. We also enjoy the Lemon Tree Cafe. Even though we are never very hungry for lunch because we always go overboard at breakfast, we always like to go. The best time for the beach at Pompano is from morning until early afternoon when it is low tide. The water is so calm it is like a swimming pool and you can walk waist-deep up to a few hundred yards out. Also, the beach does get pretty crowded by the afternoon. You will like taking the ferry and the bus. They are both great ways to see the island and are very inexpensive. You can pick up schedules for both at the Information Booth at the airport. You will also find there tons of little advertisement cards for things to do and see. Horseshoe Bay is a nice public beach to check out - go by bus. It is not that far away from Pompano. They have a snack bar, washrooms and rentals. St. George's is nice to see. It is very quaint with the cobblestone alleyways with little shops and restaurants. It is also a short bus ride from there to the Crystal Caves - interesting to see and then walking distance to the Swizzle Inn pub. Happy Anniversary! We went to Bermuda for our honeymoon and always can't wait to go back. Bermuda is another world.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:06 PM

My family just returned from Bermuda and renting scooters to get around the island was a definite highlight. We scooted to the western Royal Dockyard one morning & spent the day beach-hopping back to the east end. Lots of fun!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:04 AM

we spent a week at Pompano in June and loved it. you might find some ideas in my trip report which is here:

http://tinyurl.com/374veb
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions. I can't wait to eat at some of these restaurants. Chinacat thanks for the great report and the dining details. We have dinners included in our plan also. Not too happy to hear that the exchange program does not work that well. Anyway glad to know that you had a great time at the resort.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:48 AM

well, we only tried to exchange 2 nights, and got The Reefs on our 2nd try. I guess people aren't as interested in coming to Pompano from Cambridge Beaches, as we never managed to be high enough on the list to go there.

we really liked dining at Pompano though, so it was okay. and we tried on Wednesday and Thursday. I wonder if htere were more exchanges when everything seemed busier over the weekend.