Cab or Car Rental on Tortola?

Old Jun 26th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Cab or Car Rental on Tortola?

My wife and I are staying at Long Bay Resort next month and are wondering if it is more economical to get a rental car or cab it. The only trips we are planning are to and from the airport (obviously) and from Long Bay Resort to the West End Ferry and back twice during the week. Any recent visitors who can tell me cabfare for these 2 trips?
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 11:19 AM

We did both. Our package came with a rental car, but we too went to the West End a couple of nights and knowing we were going to Cane Garden Bay and a have a couple of run punches, we took a cab back, plus the roads are very narrow and winding. Cab was a good bet!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 12:19 PM

Some do not like to drive on Tortola as some of the roads are not for the faint of heart... but taxis are expensive, it really comes down to how much you want to do. It sounds like ts just a few outings a taxi would work, if you really want to explore the island you should rent. Maybe rent for a day to drive around if you want to see more of the island. I have done both.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 02:03 PM

There are the usual rental places like Budget and Hertz, but I have rented from a local place called Denzil's and it worked out fine. All the cab fares can add up. I'd try the cab thing for a day or two and see what it runs you. Car rentals can be about $45-65/day. You should have no problems renting last minute because this is the low season.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:20 PM

Hey Boulder1

If you only leave LBBR long enough to get on the ferry twice, you'll miss all of Tortola.

Cab fare from the airport will be close to one day's rental. To WE, about $10.

The suggestion that you rent for a day and check it out is a good one. Do it early so you'll be making fully informed decisions on transport for the rest of the visit.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions and rates.
dtstahl - we planning on going to Jost Van Dyke for a day and St John for a day (went there for our honeymoon 2 years back) but thought we would lay low at Long Bay and Smugglers Cove the rest of time. What suggestions do you have if we rent a car and explore Tortola one of the other days?
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 04:16 AM

I can also highly recommend Denzil Clyne on Tortola, but be sure to deal with him as the other guy who helps him is kind of a jerk. (Mr Clyne is very nice and the vehicles are in good repair.)

As mim mentioned, the roads are not for the faint of heart - especially if you are not familiar with Caribbean driving - but you can really see and do a lot more with a car.

Long Bay is kind of remote too, so you can rack up a lot of $$$ with taxis very fast.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 07:27 AM

Denzil Clyne also has a rental spot on St. John right next to where the ferry comes in from Tortola so I would arrange with him ahead of time to pick a car when you visit St. John. On Tortola, the highest peak (can't remember the name) has a cafe/gift shop which has amazing 360 degree views. I wouldn't miss that one place. Also, if you love laid back beach bars, you should visit the world famous Bomba Shack. It looks like a collection of driftwood but it's got its charms.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 05:22 AM

Another recommnedation for Denzil Clynes. We rented from them last year. Very good.

You should check out Brewers Bay. Up the road from CGB (it's the next bay over). Beautiful and very quiet with a nice beach bar that serves good cheeseburgers and drinks (cheap too).

Also, try Pussers Island. They have a free ferry you take from the dock close the airport. You can have lunch, snorkel, and catch the ferry back and all it costs you is lunch.

Peace, Greenie