Amt of time for car rental

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amt of time for car rental

I'm arriving at 10 PM on sat night and leaving the following saturday. Should I rent a car for that entire week or not bother to get one until Tuesday or so?
Guess it's worth factoring in the cost of a Taxi from the airport to the hotel (Oyster Bay Resort). Any idea of the cost of this?
May just be worth it to get the car for the whole week. (Being quoted at $160 or so).
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 12:59 PM

It would help if you told us which island you'll be visiting.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Sorry..hate incomplete posts...St. Maarten.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 01:30 PM

I have to say that US $160 for an entire week is a great price for a car rental. You might not want to pick up the car from the airport that late at night if you're unfamiliar with the island and/or driving on the left side of the road. But with that great deal on the rental, I would get the car delivered to me at Oyster Bay as soon as possible if I were in your shoes.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 01:33 PM

I've never taken a cab to Oyster Bay, but my guess would be about a $20 fare each way.

I would rent a car for the entire time, but the question is whether or not you are familiar with St. Maarten at all.

If you are not, that is rather late to be driving out to Oyster Bay without direction. In that case I would get a cab to the hotel for the night and then return to the airport for a car during the daylight hours the next day.

You will want a car for the duration of your stay as cabs can not only be hard to come by other than in the two capitol cities, but they can get costly after awhile. The freedom of a rental is better and the island is relatively easy to get around.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Just to clarify, driving is on the right hand side of the road on both sides of St. Maarten/St. Martin, so you needn't worry about that factor.

I do still agree that I wouldn't try to find my way to Oyster Bay at night between the dark, unmarked roads and some crime here and there on the island. I would take care of the car issue the next day when it would be much easier and more convenient to deal with.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Ooops! there I go again, making assumptions. Thanks for the correction, Statia.

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 07:15 AM

We got in after dark & picked up a rental car & drove to Oyster Bay with no problem - ok one wrong turn but it was easily corrected. I wouldn't stay on any island for a week without a car and that area is not close to anything else.