Getting Around Anguilla

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Getting Around Anguilla

Hi - we are headed to Shoal Bay Villas in Aguilla in Oct. Our flight arrives late at night so I'm wondering what people typically do as far as car rentals... Are there any car rental places at or nearby AXA? Are they open at 10PM? Or do you have to take a taxi to your hotel and get a car the next day? Same thing for when we leave...we have a really early flight.

Any idea about how many minutes it is from AXA to Shoal Bay Villas? There will be 5 of us (2 small kids) so I'm not sure if all luggage will fit in the car! We really don't want to rent a minivan. Also, does anyone know of a good, reliable car rental company that is reasonable or would have specials from Oct 20-30??

Thanks so much for your help!!!!
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 06:56 PM

If memory serves me right there are one or two car rental companies within walking distance of the airport but I doubt they are open at 10PM. Most people take a taxi to their hotel and the car rental company brings the car to the hotel the following morning. Since most of the taxis are vans you'll have no trouble carrying all your luggage. The rental company will also pick up the car at the hotel after you leave which will allow you to taxe a taxi to the airport. This is especially helpful if you are leaving very early in the morning.

FYI - the drive from the airport to Shoal Bay villas should take about 15 or 20 minutes.

You can find links to lots of car rental places by doing a google search for "Anguilla car rentals". Most companies listed will give you on line quotes and most offer special rates if you rent for a week or more.

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 05:08 PM

I would contact a car rental company from home, have a time and date set up and have them meet you at SBV the morning after your arrival. Driving from the airport to SBV is not a problem provided you know where you are headed and I can tell you at night time it can be tricky if you have not been before. I would opt for the cab. Then familarize yourself with the roads leading to and from SBV in the daylight hours. We used Highway Rent A Car for both of our Anguilla trips. They met us at the Ku did the paperwork there and came back for the car the day before we left and picked it up. I had plenty of emails going on before I departed to confirm that they would be meeting us at the said time and have the car we chose. We paid $280 for a little over a weeks rental. Drivers license is $20 and you can check your credit card to see if it covers CDW insurance. Good luck. If you have not been to Anguilla before the beach is spectacular, one of the best in the Caribbean.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the posts! Does anyone know how much cab fares are from airport to SBV? For 5 people? Thanks again!!
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 06:31 PM
ALR

The cab fares are by zone. I think you can go on www.anguillaguide.com and find a map to determine any fare.