budget villa st john

Apr 5th, 2008, 04:07 PM
BJ
Original Poster

budget villa st john

Need suggestions for budget priced villa on St John for January. Less than $200 a night.

Please help....I know there is something out there that is right for us. Looking for private, romantic place with killer view.

Thanks a bunch!!
Apr 6th, 2008, 02:51 PM

We stayed at a place called Seabreeze. I can't remember what we paid - but I had booked a more extravagant house, and then realized I was spending much too much money, so switched to this house instead. I won't ramble on about it in case it is too much, but if you look it up and find it is within your price range you can e-mail me for more info if you'd like. [email protected]

Again, if it's too much, I'm sorry. I just can't remember what we paid for it. St. John is so beautiful.
Apr 6th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Oh My God, I just found the website we rented from and it was $500 a night. I can't beleive I spent that much money. Yikes, I'm sorry!!
Apr 6th, 2008, 03:52 PM

check out Banana Wind, the lower level. In coral Bay. We stayed there our first time. Other than that, it is going to be really hard to find something that low during high season. Also Samuel;s Cottages, I have heard are simple and inexpensive.
Otherwise, there are the huts at Cinnamon Bay...don't laugh, it would have a killer view, I would stay there if given the opportunity!
Apr 7th, 2008, 05:27 AM

If there are just two of you going, son't be put off by some of the high prices you see for some of the larger villas. Many offer a discount rate if you're only going to be using one bedroom. And it never hurts to ask for the best possible discounted rate. You never know -- some owners might prefer to rent to a couple fir a lower rate than leave their villa empty for the week.
Apr 7th, 2008, 05:57 AM

adlmllr - take it from a villa owner, actually most of us don't want to rent out our villas a "below market" rents. It sets a bad precident (what incentive is there for someone to pay market rent if it becomes known owners will offer discounts). Also, there are certain fixed costs such as villa set up, villa cleaning, staff salaries, water usage, utilities, maintenance, wear and tear on furnishings that apply to all "rentals" regardless of how "much" actual rental is paid and owners actually can lose money by having it occupied at lower than usual rates.

Most rental villas don't generate a great deal of profit for the owners, in fact, we are lucky to breakeven. Renting at a loss make no sense at all and only compounds the owner's problems.

All that said, BJ is going to have difficulty finding a "private, romantic place with killer view" for less than $200/night on St. John in January. I dare say a villa like that doesn't exist.
Apr 7th, 2008, 09:45 AM

This is our first time renting in St. John and we were able to find a villa that meets our needs at a price we find agreeable, so we're very excited. We have rented on several other islands, though, and have been quite fortunate in finding owners who are flexible.

I would never expect to pay below market prices or want an owner to essentially rent to us at a loss, but sometimes there's flexibility when there's a last-minute cancellation, or our dates coincide with a timeframe that needs to be folled (for example, a Tuesday - Sunday rental). It all comes under the heading "It never hurts to ask." Politely and nicely, I would add.

Apr 7th, 2008, 10:26 AM

Two sites where I have seen some lower cost options are www.caribbeandays.com and www.carefreegetaways.com January is high season so it will be difficult but you are starting early enough. I would also look at Concordia Estate eco-tents. You won't have stellar accomodations, but the views are drop-dead and they do have a very nice new dining facility there. Check it out. Good luck.
Apr 8th, 2008, 09:57 AM

Try Island Cottage in Coral Bay